Technical questions for the MPC2000xl and the MPC2000
By Hagibeats Sat Dec 22, 2018 4:22 pm
Hey folks just having a bit of dilemma with my machine I can’t seem to get my head around.
Here my senairo

I have a record with some bits I like to chop and them loop, I’ve seen videos of people on YouTube if people using multiple loops and getting the loops exactly in time with the track having their drums perfectly fitting. From my experience in using the mpc I’ve noticed that when I loop and the sample perfectly and time stretch it it doesn’t timestreach to the exact tempo , I’ve went into params and adjusted my bars into the loop so everything’s cool. This is fine if it’s off by a nudge because I can match the tempo of the program by using the count to get it in time with the sample. My problem is when I want a second sample and time streach it it’s a little bit off again, im aware I can tune it up or down to fit the tempo. This is not ideal because now the second sample doesn’t sound right when placed in the track along with the other sample.

I’m aware I can chop them into little pieces and sequence them in but it’s also a pain if I’m using more than 2 samples and it takes up pad banks very quickly.
I’ve linked the videos I’ve been taking about below.
If anyone found lend a hand or maybe I’m doing something wrong in which I could correct. Any help isn’t much appreciated

By Lampdog Sat Dec 22, 2018 4:54 pm
I’ve had beeter results just using oneshot and let the sample retrigger with the sequence. Where you chop at start is SUPER Important, end chopping is less important imo.
By Hagibeats Sat Dec 22, 2018 6:22 pm
Lampdog wrote:I’ve had beeter results just using oneshot and let the sample retrigger with the sequence. Where you chop at start is SUPER Important, end chopping is less important imo.

Thanks for the he reply
I’ve found that it can be quite hit and miss when it comes to doing it with one shot, I’m guessing you mean to chop the sample so the first hit equates to the first beat of the bar. I’ve found that if the end isn’t long enough (doesn’t be equate to the first beat of the next bar) then it will disrupt the whole timing of the sample.
By tapedeck Sat Dec 22, 2018 6:28 pm
Hagibeats wrote:I’m aware I can chop them into little pieces and sequence them in but it’s also a pain if I’m using more than 2 samples and it takes up pad banks very quickly.

you kind of have to accept this when using that machine. if you want to sync things up super tight and at any pitch / tempo, you probably want a more modern solution.

if you are gonna stick to the old mpc, you got to adapt to the old methods. chopping samples into chunks and creative looping (think just the tail end of the sample) is probably your best bet.

personally i gave up on using one-shots a long time ago - too rigid.
By Hagibeats Sat Dec 22, 2018 6:45 pm
tapedeck wrote:
Hagibeats wrote:I’m aware I can chop them into little pieces and sequence them in but it’s also a pain if I’m using more than 2 samples and it takes up pad banks very quickly.

you kind of have to accept this when using that machine. if you want to sync things up super tight and at any pitch / tempo, you probably want a more modern solution.

if you are gonna stick to the old mpc, you got to adapt to the old methods. chopping samples into chunks and creative looping (think just the tail end of the sample) is probably your best bet.

personally i gave up on using one-shots a long time ago - too rigid.

That’s very fair man, I just thought there had to be a legit way of locking a sample into a tempo.
By Lampdog Sun Dec 23, 2018 2:18 pm
It takes work to get the 2kxl to understand what you want and for it to give that to you. It’s not a fully fledged sampler. It’s that little brother who wants to do right, stumbles along the path but still wants and tries to keep up. The efx card is like new sneakers to him, makes him think he can run faster.