Forum to discuss all matters relating to the MPC1000 and MPC2500 operating systems created by 'JJ' (all versions).
By metalfingers Tue Dec 25, 2018 4:43 am
hey how's it going ppls

I been owning a 2500 for about a little over a year, back when i got it i couldn't figure out how to get the quantize to work.
Usually i like to chop a sample, get a melody, play the melody however many bars and tempo to get it to play in a loop. After I add my drums
Using the Free JJOS vers.

track 1 - sample melody,
track 2 kick
track 3 - snare
track 4 hats.

Normally i can't figure out how to make quantize work so i'll freehand it but if/whenever i try to apply quantize it throws the whole beat off. (my free hand drumming is on time for the most part, there are times when i want to tighten it up a bit though)

Does quantize/T.C. only work if you apply it to the drums first?
does it apply it to the whole sequence including all tracks?
or can it be applied individually per track in the same sequence?

i been trying to figure this out forever. Maybe it's an internal issue with the mpc itself (even though it's in good shape)
Appreciate the help in advance
By Menco Wed Dec 26, 2018 7:24 am
T.C. affects only the track you apply it to.

Maybe all your programming is in time with each other, but not on time with MPC’s grid.
Try to laydown some 8th note hihats, quantize, and built a beat around that. If this way of sequencing your beat locks up everything nice and tight with the timing of the sequencer, then you probably only need some practice to get the ‘feel’ of the timing of the MPC’s sequencer.

Also make sure the startpoints of your samples are tight and onpoint.
By metalfingers Thu Dec 27, 2018 6:16 am
Menco wrote:T.C. affects only the track you apply it to.

Maybe all your programming is in time with each other, but not on time with MPC’s grid.
Try to laydown some 8th note hihats, quantize, and built a beat around that. If this way of sequencing your beat locks up everything nice and tight with the timing of the sequencer, then you probably only need some practice to get the ‘feel’ of the timing of the MPC’s sequencer.

Also make sure the startpoints of your samples are tight and onpoint.

i tried that, the first time put 1/16 TC - 50% swing (default)
and did a 2 bar loop of 8th hi hats the quantize actually worked for once.
So i uploaded a beat i was working on last night and muted track 1 - chopped sample, and on track 2- 8th hats. and it went all off again. No idea why this is happening.

I recorded a video on my phone not sure how to post it on here but it's strange.

also is it possible to grid edit with the free jjos? i went to grid edit but wasn't able to move anything it doesn't show an "edit" function after im in grid edit.
By metalfingers Thu Dec 27, 2018 8:53 am
ok so the first video is 1/16 T/C 50% swing (default)
quantize works fine here

second video, same exact T/C and swing and then it just goes off timing, sometimes it works, but 9/10 it doesn't work how it should

By Menco Thu Dec 27, 2018 9:35 pm
Hmmm...that’s weird. Never have experienced that. This indeed sounds like it’s hardware/ software related.

Test the machine with all the midi cables unplugged in case you have hooked up any.
Does this behaviour also occur when you have unmounted the CF card? If not, then it might be the card or a corrupted file. Format the CF card. Same for your HD if you have one installed inside your MPC.
I don’t know if you have the 128MB RAM expansion? If so, make sure it’s seated properly. Maybe that does the trick. If not, do a factory reset.

(1. Turn the MPC2500 on while holding the [ERASE] key.

2. Release the [ERASE] key after the display shows [ MPC2500 (##MB installed)].)

Check if same problem occurs. If so, it pobably is a hardware issue (which I don’t think is the case).
If not, redownload and reinstall the JJOS with a formatted CF card.
By metalfingers Fri Dec 28, 2018 9:52 am
Menco wrote:Hmmm...that’s weird. Never have experienced that. This indeed sounds like it’s hardware/ software related.

Test the machine with all the midi cables unplugged in case you have hooked up any.
Does this behaviour also occur when you have unmounted the CF card? If not, then it might be the card or a corrupted file. Format the CF card. Same for your HD if you have one installed inside your MPC.
I don’t know if you have the 128MB RAM expansion? If so, make sure it’s seated properly. Maybe that does the trick. If not, do a factory reset.

(1. Turn the MPC2500 on while holding the [ERASE] key.

2. Release the [ERASE] key after the display shows [ MPC2500 (##MB installed)].)

Check if same problem occurs. If so, it pobably is a hardware issue (which I don’t think is the case).
If not, redownload and reinstall the JJOS with a formatted CF card.

See I knew i wasn't trippin haha. I told a few people my issue and i always get " your timing has to be off" "no way quantize doesn't work properly". Glad I could get a video of it.

I went ahead and unmounted the CF card and it still did it. I had no idea about formatting the CF Card prior to you saying that so I took the card out, saved all the files i had on it. Put them in a folder on my computer then formatted it. Also I went ahead and ran a scan on every file in the CF Card (took about 4hrs or so.) No corrupted files on it. I also did the reset on the mpc (turn off, hold erase then turn it back on while holding the button.) After that i tried the quantize again and it worked perfectly fine (without the cf card). Tomorow after work im going to try it with the card, i'll let you know when i do.
By Menco Sat Dec 29, 2018 12:30 pm
metalfingers wrote:Well I put the card back in and after everything it's still off. Maybe a main board issue at this point?

Maybe. To rule out it's not your CF card, have you tried another CF card? If another card has the same effect on the quantising then I think it must be machine itself too.
By metalfingers Sun Dec 30, 2018 3:21 am
Menco wrote:
metalfingers wrote:Well I put the card back in and after everything it's still off. Maybe a main board issue at this point?

Maybe. To rule out it's not your CF card, have you tried another CF card? If another card has the same effect on the quantising then I think it must be machine itself too.

does the same thing with other cf cards
By Menco Sun Dec 30, 2018 9:15 am
I’m affraid I can’t help you anymore from this point, this is how far my knowledge reaches.

At least you know now the MPC works fine without a CF card inserted, so you can work around the problem by only inserting the card for saving and loading, or by installing and using a HD.
By metalfingers Sun Dec 30, 2018 6:02 pm
Menco wrote:I’m affraid I can’t help you anymore from this point, this is how far my knowledge reaches.

At least you know now the MPC works fine without a CF card inserted, so you can work around the problem by only inserting the card for saving and loading, or by installing and using a HD.

I understand, and i appreciate you taking the time to help me out. I don't think it's a CF Card issue because when i first got the mpc last year the akai cf card that came with it, the quantize wouldn't work then and no matter what card i put in it acts up. Every once in a while it will work for a short moment then stop (was luck enough it worked when i was able to record that video). I think i'll probably have to invest in a cpu board/main board. That would have to be the source of the problem at this point.
By metalfingers Mon Jan 07, 2019 12:11 am
misskarportiro wrote:
metalfingers wrote:hey how's it going ppls

I been owning a 2500 for about a little over a year, back when i got it i couldn't figure out how to get the quantize to work.
Usually i like to chop a sample, get a melody, play the melody however many bars and tempo to get it to play in a loop. After I add my drums
Using the Free JJOS vers.

track 1 - sample melody,
track 2 kick
track 3 - snare
track 4 hats.

Normally i can't figure out how to make quantize work so i'll freehand it but if/whenever i try to apply quantize it throws the whole beat off. (my free hand drumming is on time for the most part, there are times when i want to tighten it up a bit though)

Does quantize/T.C. only work if you apply it to the drums first?
does it apply it to the whole sequence including all tracks?
or can it be applied individually per track in the same sequence?

i been trying to figure this out forever. Maybe it's an internal issue with the mpc itself (even though it's in good shape) Appreciate the help in advance

tried that already as well same result unfortunately. My timing isn't bad at all, if you watch the videos i posted above the first video it works and the second is what it usually does
By metalfingers Thu Jan 24, 2019 9:43 pm
Menco wrote:I’m affraid I can’t help you anymore from this point, this is how far my knowledge reaches.

so i get my mpc back tomorrow, the place that repaired it said they tried everything and it kept having the same issue, they eventually ended up replacing the cpu main board and it solved the issue. So if anyone ever has the same issue i had i hope this thread helps!

they said it was the first time they seen this issue happen but cpu boards can be bought on mpcstuff . com

appreciate the help/feedback trying to figure out the issue from anyone who commented
By richie Thu Jan 24, 2019 10:51 pm
@metalfingers replacing the motherboard is what is done when they cannot figure out what the true issue is.

I hope that they have the 2500 service manual and someone there that could adequately test and possibly diagnose and test a few things. Replacing the entire mainboard over a CF card slot related issue is highly suspicious.
By Menco Fri Jan 25, 2019 10:23 pm
Good to hear. Hope you’re back at banging out some good stuff.