Exchange tips and tricks for the Akai MPC4000
By wavejockey Sun Dec 30, 2018 6:38 am
CharlesRandolph wrote:With the front USB port, you don't need a CF Card. Buy SanDisk Cruzer Fit CZ33 64GB USB 2.0 Low-Profile Flash Drive and call it a day. I took out all the Hard Drives out of MPC 4000's.

i don't think you can AUTOLOAD from a USB
By CharlesRandolph Sun Dec 30, 2018 2:42 pm
tiger001 wrote:
CharlesRandolph wrote:With the front USB port, you don't need a CF Card. Buy SanDisk Cruzer Fit CZ33 64GB USB 2.0 Low-Profile Flash Drive and call it a day. I took out all the Hard Drives out of MPC 4000's.

i don't think you can AUTOLOAD from a USB

You can. :nod:
By CharlesRandolph Sun Dec 30, 2018 2:55 pm
koncepticon wrote:Nope, thats not the way...

i answered all my own questions eventually.

So my self exercise was to take a drum loop from a record, then trim it, then chop it into a new pgm like i do on the 1000 and 2000xl..

Getting that far wasn't too hard, but by default, the pads are all "note-on" - only play while button is pressed down. That's no good. I need one-shots for the drums.. and i was able to change that in Program > Zone > edit all > then change play mode from as sample to one-shot.. worked for me

You're speaking in MPC 2000XL or 1000 terms. MPC 40000 we call it Pad Play Mode. Note ON refers to the PLAY TRIGGER which can be Note on, Note off, and Toggle.

Just in case: If you edit ALL, that will change all the pads, in that program to one shot, in that particular zone.
By koncepticon Mon Dec 31, 2018 7:13 pm
The solution i came up with was to just take the hard drive out and plug it direct to my Mac to copy all my samples over. That was much faster, and doens't require me to keep an ugly xp machine in my sanctuary..

Interesting side note.. i just picked up a Kurzweil 150 today. Amazing sounds, and has something like 220 oscillators.. but to use the eidting software for it, I will need to acquire an Apple Ii GS. Ill do that tho, if i can ever find one.
By CharlesRandolph Mon Dec 31, 2018 9:44 pm
koncepticon wrote:The solution i came up with was to just take the hard drive out and plug it direct to my Mac to copy all my samples over. That was much faster, and doens't require me to keep an ugly xp machine in my sanctuary..

Interesting side note.. i just picked up a Kurzweil 150 today. Amazing sounds, and has something like 220 oscillators.. but to use the eidting software for it, I will need to acquire an Apple Ii GS. Ill do that tho, if i can ever find one.

Just use Virtual Box for Mac and install Ak sys on it. Or you could just buy $50 Dollar Netbook.
By koncepticon Tue Jan 01, 2019 11:32 pm
I really wish they provided an MPC2000>MPC4000 dictionary, as it is a challenge to self-study when i dont know what im looking for. (Its like every time i go to France and go looking for beer, i end up at the library. ) The transfer rates and overall stability of AKSYS is painfully not worth powering on any of the plethora of windows xp laptops i have collecting dust.. I had some files becoming corrupted during transfer, and the mpc would lose its connection constantly. it could be a thing with the USB... but that is the least significant component on this thing so idc. XP in Parallels was also no joy. Time to disassemble 4000 = 5 minutes. hook up and transfer 20GB files direct (copying off a usb stick is also a pain if its more than one or a few samples.. especially if i forget to save etc.. I am slightly surprised there is no direct way to copy or transfer folders (minor oversight?) .. Another 5 minutes...

getting my sounds in and running on my mpc and still having time and energy left to put into some new jams = priceless

I found a few helpful suggestions in here though, i still haven't found the toggle or "
PITCH pg, highlight SPAN LOW or HI and hit OPEN WINDOW"

For chopping up some amens I think i now have my working recipe. Still, it takes at least a few minutes each time, and its easy to forget one or 3 steps involved. Or, if its 16-bit, in 3.5 seconds i can do the same thing blind folded, upside down with one hand tied behind my back on a 1000, 2000, 2500, and presumably the 5000.. so now i guess i need to move on to see what else i can do on this that i can't do with the 2000xl.
By CharlesRandolph Wed Jan 02, 2019 2:25 am
koncepticon wrote:I really wish they provided an MPC2000>MPC4000 dictionary, as it is a challenge to self-study when i dont know what im looking for. (Its like every time i go to France and go looking for beer, i end up at the library. ) The transfer rates and overall stability of AKSYS is painfully not worth powering on any of the plethora of windows xp laptops i have collecting dust.. I had some files becoming corrupted during transfer, and the mpc would lose its connection constantly. it could be a thing with the USB... but that is the least significant component on this thing so idc. XP in Parallels was also no joy. Time to disassemble 4000 = 5 minutes. hook up and transfer 20GB files direct (copying off a usb stick is also a pain if its more than one or a few samples.. especially if i forget to save etc.. I am slightly surprised there is no direct way to copy or transfer folders (minor oversight?) .. Another 5 minutes...

getting my sounds in and running on my mpc and still having time and energy left to put into some new jams = priceless

I found a few helpful suggestions in here though, i still haven't found the toggle or "
PITCH pg, highlight SPAN LOW or HI and hit OPEN WINDOW"

For chopping up some amens I think i now have my working recipe. Still, it takes at least a few minutes each time, and its easy to forget one or 3 steps involved. Or, if its 16-bit, in 3.5 seconds i can do the same thing blind folded, upside down with one hand tied behind my back on a 1000, 2000, 2500, and presumably the 5000.. so now i guess i need to move on to see what else i can do on this that i can't do with the 2000xl.

20 Gigs+ on a hard drive, with a machine that only has 512 MB of RAM? :hmmm: What are you sampling the entire BLUE NOTE collections? :lol:

Why not just run an extensions ide cable and power cable out the MPC 4000. Then you can keep the hard drive on the outside and use an IDE hard drive transfer caddie.
By Lampdog Wed Jan 02, 2019 5:53 pm
Or take out the cd drive (IDE) and replace it with a removable hdd caddie that also has same type caddie on pc.

It took me months to figure out things coming from 2kxl to 4k. And I still have problems remember where everything is. Biggest thing that **** me up was PARTS. I finally and ONLY understood it when it was explained in detail here on the forums by Ian Canefire. After that other stuff kinda fell in place.
By CharlesRandolph Wed Jan 02, 2019 6:11 pm
Lampdog wrote:Or take out the cd drive (IDE) and replace it with a removable hdd caddie that also has same type caddie on pc.

It took me months to figure out things coming from 2kxl to 4k. And I still have problems remember where everything is. Biggest thing that **** me up was PARTS. I finally and ONLY understood it when it was explained in detail here on the forums by Ian Canefire. After that other stuff kinda fell in place.

Most people just don't realize it's a full featured sampler and how much other things it can actually do. Chopping samples is baby steps. :lol: I'm still figuring out things til this day.
By Lampdog Wed Jan 02, 2019 6:42 pm
You and I both. Bought mine from a friend who had stopped using it back in 2009. I have YET to use it to it's full potential and there are many things I don't use often and have to trek back through the manual and figure it out. STILL, I think it's the best hardware mpc.