MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By CharlesRandolph Thu Jan 03, 2019 4:23 am
AKG 702
Beyerdynamic DT 770
Ultrasone Pro 750

Since the Live is portable take that with you and play your beats over what ever headphones you buy. Anything you going to use for critical listening, should be tested and not purchased lightly.
By JVC Thu Jan 03, 2019 6:48 pm
NearTao wrote:I'm on my third pair of Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro headphones, and can say they have served me quite well.

Third pair? They are made like a tank, did you misplaced the last two pairs? I cannot imagine you accidentally broke them.

I've used them before (I wish I own them), and they sound great (nice and flat) and very comfortable. A bit heavy though (a lot of metal parts), but they are great!12
By NearTao Thu Jan 03, 2019 7:08 pm
My first pair a cable got chewed by a dog, I've since repaired it... replacement (second) pair went bad after a few weeks of use, I exchanged them for a new (third) pair.

Yeah, they are built like a tank, and definitely worth every penny. I just wish they fit in a backpack a bit better, but I find them super comfortable to use, compared to some of the collapsable headphones that tend to push down on my ears.
By Lampdog Thu Jan 03, 2019 7:57 pm
NearTao wrote:....some of the collapsable headphones that tend to push down on my ears.

I hate when that happens.
By omegatron Thu Jan 03, 2019 9:49 pm
I got some krk, not totally collapsible but they flatten out nicely and sound great to my ears.. pretty decently priced to and the build quality is great, I've gotta pretty big head :lol: and they're super comfy..
By Al Yeska Fri Jan 04, 2019 8:36 am
I love my V-MODA M-100's. Tasty and emmersive sound. Not flat though. Ive never understood that plain saltines junk. Whats the point? To prevent offending someone?
By CharlesRandolph Fri Jan 04, 2019 8:56 am
Al Yeska wrote:I love my V-MODA M-100's. Tasty and emmersive sound. Not flat though. Ive never understood that plain saltines junk. Whats the point? To prevent offending someone?

If you use them for critical listening, you want your headphone with least the amount of tuning.
By Lampdog Fri Jan 04, 2019 4:25 pm
Al Yeska wrote:I love my V-MODA M-100's. Tasty and emmersive sound. Not flat though. Ive never understood that plain saltines junk. Whats the point? To prevent offending someone?

Flatter the better.

It will sound exactly like you want it when played on several diff audio systems and headphones. Most systems put their own “color” into the audio played. You want your playback to be “colorless” and as close to your original creation as possible, if your serious about your audio.

I am halfassed about mine, but, I do recognize what works for me.
By Eyalc Fri Jan 04, 2019 5:14 pm
Lampdog wrote:Flatter the better.

It will sound exactly like you want it when played on several diff audio systems and headphones. Most systems put their own “color” into the audio played. You want your playback to be “colorless” and as close to your original creation as possible, if your serious about your audio.

This.
By saltmcgault Fri Jan 04, 2019 6:03 pm
I haven't really used a variety of studio headphones but I have KRK KNS8400 studio headphones and for the price they work great I've had them for about 6 years and I haven't found 1 thing to **** about on the things which is rare. :lol:
By CharlesRandolph Fri Jan 04, 2019 9:39 pm
Your choice of heads are important but many people tend to forget, that selecting a good Headphone Amp is equally as important. It makes no sense to buy good headphones and listen thought a horrible pre.
By Manglepup Sun Jan 06, 2019 3:14 am
I really like my Sennheiser HD 58X from Massdrop, they are $150 - and they do accentuate the bass a little bit - but most of the time I'm using headphones I'm not looking for perfect accuracy or flatness - I'm looking to have fun and stay quiet. I love that they are open ear so I can hear stuff going on in the house; and they are extremely comfortable to my head. I like them better than my Beyerdynamic DT-880's (which annoyingly you can't replace the cable on).