Technical questions for the MPC2000xl and the MPC2000
By Dimastorbert Sat Jan 05, 2019 8:47 am
Sometimes I’ll boot my Mpc2000xl up and it will be good to go. 32,620k free sound space, other times which is majority I’ll have 1900k which I’m sure you know isn’t nothing. Why won’t it load up the main drive I’m assuming? Has anyone else experienced this problem or fixed it?
It’s pretty frustrating because the only way I know to fix it is restarting the system until it shows up with my full space. Which I’m sure isn’t very good on this old thing.
Also sometimes during sampling in, i get this feedback and whatever im recording in echoes and gets pretty loud and bad.
If anyone’s got some pointers I’d appreciate them greatly! :nod:
By Lampdog Sat Jan 05, 2019 5:41 pm
The free space is RAM space. Maybe RAM is going bad, not seated correctly, pins need cleaning, pencil eraser, qtip with very small dab of alcohol.

Feedback, maybe an audio loop?
By Dimastorbert Sat Jan 05, 2019 7:08 pm
Thank you for the quick response. I haven’t been on this forum in quite a while, but I know you helped me times before!
I kinda considered pulling it apart and checking it out. I may have to do just that. Thank you.
Well that sounds like it could be my problem. I’ll give you a description of my setup.
Mpc stereo out into my mixer, mixer main out into my M-audio m-track input, m-track outputs go to my stereo and than m-track goes to my laptop via usb.
Is there a better way to connect all this where I won’t get the audio loop?
Also when playing through my laptop into the m-track the quality and level of the sound is very different compared to sampling into my mpc or into my mixer. I’m assuming this is normal, because it’s connected with usb and more of a direct line that it’s clearer and louder?
Thank you again for the quick response!
By Lampdog Sun Jan 06, 2019 1:27 am
Where does mpc record input come from? Mixer? If so that is your loop. RECORD IN and MAIN OUT on mpc are connected to same mixer and both channels are open when sampling in. RECORD IN is only active while sampling.

While in TRIM samples playback directly from sample, not going through any pad or parameter setting so it plays back loud, unfiltered, in its raw physical form.
By CharlesRandolph Sun Jan 06, 2019 2:47 am
Dimastorbert wrote:Thank you for the quick response. I haven’t been on this forum in quite a while, but I know you helped me times before!
I kinda considered pulling it apart and checking it out. I may have to do just that. Thank you.
Well that sounds like it could be my problem. I’ll give you a description of my setup.
Mpc stereo out into my mixer, mixer main out into my M-audio m-track input, m-track outputs go to my stereo and than m-track goes to my laptop via usb.
Is there a better way to connect all this where I won’t get the audio loop?
Also when playing through my laptop into the m-track the quality and level of the sound is very different compared to sampling into my mpc or into my mixer. I’m assuming this is normal, because it’s connected with usb and more of a direct line that it’s clearer and louder?
Thank you again for the quick response!

It all depends on what is the center piece of your project studio and how much gear you are trying to connect together. But based off your list, this is what I see.

SAMPLE SOURCE (CD/TURNTABLE/KEYBOARD) OUT to MPC IN
MPC OUT to MIXER IN
MIXER OUT to M-AUDIO IN
M-AUDIO OUT to STEREO IN

This will give you the most options of recording into the M-AUDIO without having to re patch cables.

OR

SAMPLE SOURCE (CD/TURNTABLE/KEYBOARD) OUT to MPC IN
MPC OUT to M-AUDIO IN
M-AUDIO OUT to STEREO IN

This will give your the most direct path to recording and correct your gain stage issues.

OR

SAMPLE SOURCE (CD/TURNTABLE/KEYBOARD) OUT to MIXER IN
MIXER OUT to MPC IN
MPC OUT to M-AUDIO IN
M-AUDIO OUT to STEREO IN

This will give you the most options to sample sounds into your MPC.

All three will solve your LOOP BACK issues. But like I posted above it all depends on how much and what EXACT LIST of gear you own.
By Dimastorbert Sun Jan 06, 2019 3:16 am
Lampdog it seems like you had the trick with the eraser and or alcohol swab. Loads up every time now.
My record in is connected to a dual 1/4 to 3.5mm cable into my phone when it happens.
Yes I am aware of the difference while I’m in trim. So say I’m sampling into the cable I just referenced above, into my record in. I will have to turn my main levels on my m-track all the way up and than even up on the channel on my mixer to get a decent volume. Now if I left it just like that and played a sample coming from my laptop directly into the m-track via usb it would be extremely loud because the main on my m-track is maxed. Thank you for the help.

Yes Charles that’s my exact setup in the first one. And thank you very much for the run through. I think the third option would be best for me.
By Wal Martian Mon Jan 07, 2019 4:43 pm
CharlesRandolph wrote:OR

SAMPLE SOURCE (CD/TURNTABLE/KEYBOARD) OUT to MIXER IN
MIXER OUT to MPC IN
MPC OUT to M-AUDIO IN
M-AUDIO OUT to STEREO IN

Alternatively you could use an aux or tape out that some mixers have to sample from and use your mixer as your main routing tool.

Sample source OUT to mixer IN (1,2)
Mixer aux send or tape out to MPC IN
MPC out to different mixer channels (3,4)
Mixer master (L,R) to speakers
Mixer stereo Aux send or Insert to M-Audio IN

I'm guessing your phone is quiet because the type of cable/adaptor you are using. The phone is probably intended for a 3.5mm TRS (two stripes) set of earphones with a mic. Check if the plug is in all the way and try a different cable, say a RCA to 3.5mm into the mixer. The low volume could also be from phase cancellation of the L to the R channel of sound from your phone. Does the music sound filtered or like there are elements missing, such as a vocal?
By Dimastorbert Mon Jan 14, 2019 3:47 am
I don’t think I can do the setup described above because the only outputs on my mixer are main out and 1 aux out.
And yes I believe parts of songs are missing. It could be my cord but it has the two stripes.
By Wal Martian Mon Jan 14, 2019 5:12 pm
Phones can be funny. My iPhone 7 works with a standard 3.5mm jack. When I use regular TRS earbuds on my Samsung S6, I only get sound from one side. You might want to look into an adaptor. This photo shows the difference but you need the opposite, a TRRS male to TRS female.