For discussion about setting up your studio and advice on the gear and equipment within it.
By picalo32 Thu Sep 13, 2018 10:47 pm
Sharris wrote:Some of my stuff. Living/dining room set up until my brother gets his own place..... then I'll have a proper studio.

Nice
By mr.thraz Mon Nov 26, 2018 3:32 am
saltmcgault wrote:
mr.thraz wrote:best i can do right now

nice set up!

doing a little better now.

Boss SP-505, For sampling and sequencing.
Roland SP-606, For sampling and sequencing and used as a controller.
Korg microSTATION, For hardware synth love and used as a controller.
Ion iED04 Drum Station (for learning to drum "it's" going poorly)
ALESIS ControlPad (for learning to drum "it's" going poorly)
MixMeister With the Numark MixMeisterContoller for making mixes.
MIXXX With x2 DM²'s and an Ion Discover DJ for cuts
FL Studio 20
UbuntuStudio/KXStudio, (Ardour, ZynAddSubfx, The Hydrogen Drum Machine, vMPCXL2000 Emulator, Sunvox, LMMS)
By Lampdog Mon Nov 26, 2018 4:14 am
monkiusz wrote:Image

Yeah I know - monitors placement & chair sucks.

I’ve always liked the Impulse midi keyboards. If I ever needed a
midi keyboard I’d be looking at Impulse, Panorama or Code.
By donjuan831 Sun Dec 09, 2018 1:14 am
Christov wrote:After buying my house I decided I wanted one room in the house to make a small studio in, and luckily there were some rooms build on the attic. Recently bought a MPC2500 for dirt cheap and decided to sell some gear (a sp404, a microbrute, my old MOTU soundcard and my MPC 1000). It feels like a really good place for me to chill, lay back and make some beats after work when my babygirl is a sleep.

All I need really. A 950, a MPC and a synth for baslines plus a audio-interface and my monitorspeakers. Nothing to fancy, but it get's the job done. And a handmade painting a friend of me did of OV Wright (great soul singer).

My records and wall of inspiration basicly. Got some flyers of my releaseparty, the time we opened up for La Coka Nostra - which was cool, considering I used to be a huge Non Phxion fan when I was younger - the 3 by 18 meter piece some graff cats did in dedication of my debut record and some stuff to add some vibe to the place. Oh and a bunch of jazz 45's I inherited from my grandpa.

My sampling set-up. Got another SL1200, but I need to buy some wood so I can put both of my SL's next to each other.

And finally a picture of my granddad during his time as a jazzmusician. Still have to decide on which wall I'm gonna hang that one.

Really like your desk. Are the speaker stands built in?
By platfus118 Sun Dec 23, 2018 5:43 pm
Christov wrote:After buying my house I decided I wanted one room in the house to make a small studio in, and luckily there were some rooms build on the attic. Recently bought a MPC2500 for dirt cheap and decided to sell some gear (a sp404, a microbrute, my old MOTU soundcard and my MPC 1000). It feels like a really good place for me to chill, lay back and make some beats after work when my babygirl is a sleep.

All I need really. A 950, a MPC and a synth for baslines plus a audio-interface and my monitorspeakers. Nothing to fancy, but it get's the job done. And a handmade painting a friend of me did of OV Wright (great soul singer).

My records and wall of inspiration basicly. Got some flyers of my releaseparty, the time we opened up for La Coka Nostra - which was cool, considering I used to be a huge Non Phxion fan when I was younger - the 3 by 18 meter piece some graff cats did in dedication of my debut record and some stuff to add some vibe to the place. Oh and a bunch of jazz 45's I inherited from my grandpa.

My sampling set-up. Got another SL1200, but I need to buy some wood so I can put both of my SL's next to each other.

And finally a picture of my granddad during his time as a jazzmusician. Still have to decide on which wall I'm gonna hang that one.

Damn!
I love it.
What's that compact mixer over there? How is it?
BTW - why did you sell your SP404?
By edzer Mon Dec 24, 2018 6:38 pm

Seconding donjuan. What brand of desk and rack do you have?? Love the setup and looking to do something similar at my place
By Christov Sat Mar 02, 2019 7:43 pm
Sorry for the late replies, been busy lately, but here it is.

@edjer & donjuan831 well my desk... I really wouldn't know, it's a old solid oak eating table my brother in law once took away from someone's stoop who left it there for the trashcollectors to collect it hahahaha. So that's a freebie. It's heavy as ****, getting it in the attic was hell. But the benefit of that is it will take the weight of all my gear easily. And it was allready painted black so that was a plus.

The audio rack is a customized Ikea Rast cupboard which I painted black and put some 6hu rackrails in. Fits likes they're meant to be in there. The room underneath I use to to hide all the cabkes going in and out of my mpc. Got me two Ikea Rasts secondhand for about 15 euro (they don't sell em new anymore in the Netherlands, but you might still be able to buy them new in other countries) , one of em still unpainted and unassemblied in my closet. Works greats and looks great and it's pretty cost effective. They come in different sizes, I think you could also make 8hu racks out of em with a higher model. Here's some more info on how to do it: https://www.kennethballard.com/?p=1619

The speaker stands aren't build in, again, it's a so called ikea hack, it's basicly two Ikea cutting boards, 8 small legs (don't know if this is the proper English word for it but you get what I mean). Again, it saves quite some money and with some Auralex Mopads on em they work great, really notice the difference and effectiveness since I got em. Here's the tutorial and how I got the idea: https://www.instructables.com/id/IKEA-H ... er-Stands/. I got some taller legs than the one in the link though.

Once I get another 6 hu worth of rackgear I'll probably build the other Rast and paint it and put some rails in and lay my monitorspeakers on top of em on their sides. That would seem most practical roomwise, might have to saw of some centimeters at the bottom to get the speakers at the right height for my ears, but that shouldn't be a problem really.

So conclusion... My desk and the furniture on top of it are dirt cheap but look nice and work great, at least that's my opinion. The stuff on top is just put on top, not screwed into the table. Nice to hear that people think it is though. :)

@platfus118 the mixer on top of my rack is a Mackie Onyx 1202 VLZ. Don't really mix on it, but use it to feed all my inputs to my monitorspeakers. Works great for that purpose, sounds neutral and alot better than my old Tapco mixer which I used to use for that purpose. Lot less difference notable hiss and hum. Really pleased with it. The djmixer is a old Vestax PMC05 Pro mk3. Also works great for what it does.

Sold the 404 since the sample editing on it didnt work for me and the workflow wasn't for me. The effects are nice, but I don't really use effects when making beats, only during the mixing stage. The S950 works better for me to colour my sound. Which I just use to sample and the resample in my MPC, so also haven't really touched the depths on that one, but that S950 sound is instant gratification for me. So thats why I sold the SP404, I knew alot of people love em so why have it gather dust on my desk. :)
By Christov Sat Apr 20, 2019 3:12 pm
After finally finding a Ensoniq EPS 16+ I had to rearrange my home studio. I guess I got my dreamsetup right now.... perhaps a better audio interface or a new pc would be nice, but not really necessary right now.

Overview of the production area.

Record collection and some memorabilia.

My EPS 16+ lookin' beautifull.

Everything within reach and I actually got more floor left than I used to have. It was a **** movin' everything around, but now it's good. Oh and I got a old sofa in the back which doubles as a basstrap, but that isn't worth a photo really. Just a old black Ikea couch, who cares about that stuff right.
By peterpiper Sat Apr 20, 2019 9:59 pm
Very nice setup Christov. Is that oard on the wall (above the right speaker for auoustic reasons?
peace
By edzer Sat Apr 20, 2019 10:21 pm
setup looking dope as ever Christov.
also thanks for the detailed explanation before, buildin' myself a lil' rast rack this week.
By peterpiper Sun Apr 21, 2019 2:48 am
edzer wrote:setup looking dope as ever Christov.
also thanks for the detailed explanation before, buildin' myself a lil' rast rack this week.

rast rack? The rast from IKEA? Thats such a great thing. Reminds me to get some rack strips to mount my 950 into the rast. Best cheap rack IMO.

peace
By Christov Sun Apr 21, 2019 7:17 am
@peterpiper thanx! Nah it's just the way the previous owner cladded the walls, and the beam is for structural support I guess... I someday want to paint the room, but I'm not sure about the colour yet plus I really don't want to move all the stuff out again so for now I'm good. And yes my little rack is a ikea rast, you can't see it that good in this series of pictures but on page 1027 I think there is a better picture of it.

@edger thanx! And no thanx, we're all here to help each other.

@edger and peterpiper: I got a tip for when building the rast rack. First paint the wood (if you wanna do that) and then fit in the rails. If you have a piece of rackgear with detachble rackears (such as the akai s950 for instance) look for the machine which has the thickest ones (in my case the s950) and use them to figure out where you want to have the rail exactly when fitting in the rail, cause they are kinda snug already. That way your machines will fit in nicely and gives it a better, smoother look in my opinion. Curious about your Ikea rast racks, good luck and have fun assemblying them. Nice little project to do.
By REAL6 Wed Oct 30, 2019 1:06 pm
Paralytik wrote:

Hahahahahahaha, that Annette at :23 in the video?