MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By zangetsu01 Sat Jan 05, 2019 9:12 am
CharlesRandolph wrote:Are you doing all these workout around in the MPC Software DAW? If yes, why not just use a much more capable Software DAW?

Hi Charles,

It’s because I do like the MPC software for what it ‘can’ do. Using the MPC software as plug-in isn’t all that either.

I’ve tried. Programming the start and stop buttons results in hit and miss. The MPC plug-in randomly crashes for unknown reasons.

This was back in 1.97. Don’t know how things are right now. I kind of developed an workflow with the MPC that I like very much.

And in the end I want to stay away from the pc as much as possible.

I only want to turn to the pc for the vst’s just like I would if I had external hardware effects, synths, instruments, etc.

That’s the workflow I’m aiming for. Just need Automation Lanes to get there. :worthy:
By CharlesRandolph Sat Jan 05, 2019 5:17 pm
zangetsu01 wrote:
Hi Charles,

It’s because I do like the MPC software for what it ‘can’ do. Using the MPC software as plug-in isn’t all that either.

I’ve tried. Programming the start and stop buttons results in hit and miss. The MPC plug-in randomly crashes for unknown reasons.

This was back in 1.97. Don’t know how things are right now. I kind of developed an workflow with the MPC that I like very much.

And in the end I want to stay away from the pc as much as possible.

I only want to turn to the pc for the vst’s just like I would if I had external hardware effects, synths, instruments, etc.

That’s the workflow I’m aiming for. Just need Automation Lanes to get there. :worthy:

That's understandable, but you did state that you only use your MPC X in controller mode. Which would mean that you're using your PC, 100% of the time. Perhaps I'm missing something.
By zangetsu01 Sat Jan 05, 2019 6:04 pm
It means that I’m using it like a standalone user in controller mode. But only with all the extra horse power, Sub busses, audio tracks and vst capabilities that the computer had to offer.

In controller mode you can still operate the touchscreen like a stand aloner but you’ll get all these extras.
By CharlesRandolph Sat Jan 05, 2019 6:15 pm
zangetsu01 wrote:It means that I’m using it like a standalone user in controller mode. But only with all the extra horse power, Sub busses, audio tracks and vst capabilities that the computer had to offer.

In controller mode you can still operate the touchscreen like a stand aloner but you’ll get all these extras.

So you are essentially foregoing the mouse. :)
Bymember04959388 Sat Jan 05, 2019 6:15 pm
zangetsu01 wrote:It means that I’m using it like a standalone user in controller mode. But only with all the extra horse power, Sub busses, audio tracks and vst capabilities that the computer had to offer.

Ok one question.
I have never used the software, always standalone.
If you connect Live with a Mac and open the software, where is the sound processed? I mean, is the output going out from Mpc or from the Mac (or audio card)?
By zangetsu01 Sat Jan 05, 2019 6:31 pm
Frisbi wrote:

Ok one question.
I have never used the software, always standalone.
If you connect Live with a Mac and open the software, where is the sound processed? I mean, is the output going out from Mpc or from the Mac (or audio card)?

The sound is going to be processed on the computer but will be routed to the outputs of the MPC (if that’s how you’ve set it up in preferences).
Bymember04959388 Sat Jan 05, 2019 6:51 pm
@ zangetsu01

Great thanks.
So I can use Live with a computer but the quality of the output sound is the same as standalone?
Anyone made a comparison?
By zangetsu01 Sat Jan 05, 2019 7:03 pm
Frisbi wrote:@ zangetsu01

Great thanks.
So I can use Live with a computer but the quality of the output sound is the same as standalone?

With all the modern technology of today I doubt that it will sound any different. With 44.4khz at 24bit It sounds the same as my komplete audio 6 or any other soundcard with these specs. Just crystal clear unmodified sound.

Maybe someone else can chime in..
Bymember04959388 Sat Jan 05, 2019 7:16 pm
zangetsu01 wrote:
Frisbi wrote:@ zangetsu01

Great thanks.

With all the modern technology of today I doubt that it will sound any different. With 44.4khz at 24bit It sounds the same as my komplete audio 6 or any other soundcard with these specs. Just crystal clear unmodified sound.

Well actually one of the things I like of Live is the output sound.
It sounds better then any soundcard I used before.
I use it standalone mainly because of this, because it sounds powerful and detailed.
Any expert chime in?
By CharlesRandolph Sun Jan 06, 2019 12:29 am
Frisbi wrote:Well actually one of the things I like of Live is the output sound.
I use it standalone mainly because of this, because it sounds powerful and detailed.
Any expert chime in?

Want to test your input gain stage, sample this 0db 24 bit - 44.1 - Sine wave and and turn up your input gain knob and check the input meters on the MPC. It should register 0 with no peaking. If it peaks, slowly turn down the gain knob until it hits zero.

Link: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1kDNDqr ... sp=sharing

Once you sample it, assign it to the pad and export it with the track fader and master fader at zero. Then compare the two SINE Waves and listen to the difference.

*Do not normalize it, do not add any effects when sampling, on the pad, or on the master fader. Your testing to see if you sample it at 0bd, does it play and export at 0bd.
By zangetsu01 Sun Jan 06, 2019 8:34 am
But I heard that the MPC automatically assigns an filter to the pads in the drum programs.

Not sure if its lpf2 or hp2. Even tough the cut off frequency is all the way low it somehow still effects the sound.

Program >> LFO >> Filter
By sinik Sun Jan 06, 2019 11:11 am
zangetsu01 wrote:But I heard that the MPC automatically assigns an filter to the pads in the drum programs.

Not sure if its lpf2 or hp2. Even tough the cut off frequency is all the way low it somehow still effects the sound.

Program >> LFO >> Filter

that's by default. change this in the settings menu you can either switch to another filter, or turn it off so that there is no filter applied.
By toodee Mon Jan 07, 2019 10:47 am
Frisbi wrote:@ Frisbi

Great thanks.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well actually one of the things I like of Live is the output sound.
Any expert chime in?

It all depends on the soundcard used with the computer, but indeed any decent soundcard should give you the same result. I use an RME Fireface UC, it's definitely way better than the MPC but given its price, it's normal. Also, the difference in quality is more noticeable when using the inputs to sample, not so much on the outputs. If you are using the internal sound chipset on your motherboard, the MPC will definitely be an improvement.
By Menco Thu Jan 10, 2019 3:47 pm
I wish the X and Live had a similair home screen like the JJOS XL. With a small grid edit overview that in this case opens grid edit mode by tapping the grid.
Same for the mixer in the lower part of the screen which displays a more traditional mixer view with the option to toggle between pad mixer and program mixer.

I would also like to have the option to copy and paste file names, co-sign on allowing the Copy/ Delete button more functionality than just copying and deleting pads. Copying/ deleting selcted notes in grid edit and letting the Delete button function like the Erase button on the 2500.

Option to clear memory instead of opening a new project, option to overwrite a sequence when loading a sequence, option to overwrite a sample when turning it from stereo to mono.
By QuickStrike Fri Jan 25, 2019 8:42 pm
My top future requests. No particular order

1. Portamento!

2. Track select: A option to change tracks using shift plus pad number.

3. Timing correct & click: I would like for this future to be put back to traditional location. F1, f2 soft keys.

"I say this because me and a few others use this feature ten-to-one over switching to audio tracks"
The remedy to MIDI/audio can be shift F1,f2

4. Auto select: When picking plugins sounds there is no Auto select like on Renaissance GUI.
"This Major useful especially for the new stand-alone plugins"

5. Cursor (center button) select:
Have it to behave like the Renaissance window key. One can shortcut quick edits.

6. Audio/ midi meters: meter the right hand side of the gui. Good for organization purposes. We read from left to right.

7. Sequence change:
I'm not sure if this is a bug or it's supposed to operate this way. While the sequence is playing and you change to sequence 2 it doesn't show that it has changed. You have to guess.

8. Gridview: using the pencil, erase and select should all allow You to two finger zoom in or out.
Three finger scroll left right up and down.

9. Load recent : add a load recent tab inside of standalone mode once a product has been loaded to quickly return to previous project.

10. Flow of cursor: cursor flows through the entire GUI from left and right up and down its proper order of operation. as of now skips in different directions.

11. Option to use mouse in standalone gui.

12. Browser: add a copy, paste function to shift menu.

13. Browser: Optional waveform view that can show/hide left hand side.
"Good for view long samples to see their content and decide if one wants load or not"

14. Song mode needs explode tracks.
"This future was in previous versions of mpc software"

15. Option to erase all tracks

16. Main button should close and return to main veiw On all sceens of controller and standalone gui.

17. Main button. Option to show/hide effects and mixer settings from main view by clicking main button once.

18. Qlink MIDI: Option to change midi level volume using a qlink.

:worthy: :worthy: :worthy: