Forum for all other samplers & synths such as Maschine, MVs, Akai S & Z series, Roland, Korg, OP-1, analog synths etc.
By juscelph Sun Apr 09, 2017 9:03 pm
Has the SSD increased the speeds in the MV ( browsing, loading , processes ) gotten fast enough to go through all the hassle or should i just up to a new sampler. I currently have a MV8800 with upgraded HDD for space only dint know about SSDs back then and have the entire Akai Studio translated as well as the NI Maschine Library and that project took me about 8 months with all the naming, processing, building kits, layerings etc but it is now a beast with " general sounds and keyboard spreads" basically just add sample.

i have been eyeing a fully tricked out 1000 just for the size and i dont do this for a living its just a hobby.
By Wormhelmet Mon Apr 10, 2017 12:43 pm
juscelph wrote:Has the SSD increased the speeds in the MV ( browsing, loading , processes ) gotten fast enough to go through all the hassle or should i just up to a new sampler. I currently have a MV8800 with upgraded HDD for space only dint know about SSDs back then and have the entire Akai Studio translated as well as the NI Maschine Library and that project took me about 8 months with all the naming, processing, building kits, layerings etc but it is now a beast with " general sounds and keyboard spreads" basically just add sample.

i have been eyeing a fully tricked out 1000 just for the size and i dont do this for a living its just a hobby.

If you already have a drive that works like you like it, you can do two things:

Keep the drive in it and don't worry about the increased speeds of the ssd as they aren't a whole lot over a good 7200 rpm drive. They are there, but ots still not going to be as fast as the latest gear. Thats just the limitation of bus speeds.

Swap to ssd, but use a pc in between drives put in caddy's connected to your pc at the same time and just copy all the data from the ide drive to the ssd with your pc, then put the ssd in and keep the ide drive as a backup. Take the ide out first, put ssd in, format with the mv8800, then take out again and do your copy with both drives connected usb to your pc. Put the ssd back in the mv after everything copied over and it will be a transparent swap except for the sometimes noticeable increase in speed of the pata ssd (or sata ssd with pata adapter)
By Wormhelmet Mon Apr 10, 2017 12:56 pm
I was eyeballing a tricked out 1000 myself for a portable project, but really it can't compete with an mv except for the size factor alone. If you don't use other instruments connected to your mv, then just the mv by itself is not so bad for size. I put a grip of multisampled instruments and samples on my mv too. Enough where I can just use the mv8800 for entire albums if I wanted to, but like my external hardware synths too much not to use at least one hooked up and a controller keyboard.

Not saying you can't do a lot with a tricked out 1000, but featurewise the mv's blow anything away in samplers today that are currently on the market and not still in beta stage.
By tedi_ted Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:57 pm
hi guys, i am wondering, if anybody has done some real benchmarking of the non-zheino ssd drives. here's a video doing a comparison for zheino ssd and it doesn't make a huge difference:

anyone? it would be fantastic to improve the load times on the MV, but knowing of the bus/sram architecture, it's hard to believe, that it really makes a difference.

btw. installing a silent fan reduced the noise level almost to zero, now my laptop is the noisiest guy in the room. luckily, i went 'dawless' with the MV :-D
By Lampdog Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:04 pm
You are and will always be bottlenecked by the slowest device/piece/gear in the chain.

The MV itself.
By CharlesRandolph Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:45 pm
Lampdog wrote:You are and will always be bottlenecked by the slowest device/piece/gear in the chain.

The MV itself.

The coding of the MV8000 series is so bloated. It confuses me why, people do not understand buss speed and that slow a$$ RAM!. :lol: :lol: The only benefits of a SSD is lower power draw of the power supply, less heat, no spinning parts, and newer hard drive.
By Lampdog Wed Jan 09, 2019 2:50 am
CharlesRandolph wrote:The only benefits of a SSD is lower power draw of the power supply, less heat, no spinning parts, and newer hard drive.

That is how I see it also.

It's not even about how I see it, it is just a FACT.
By mr_debauch Wed Jan 09, 2019 4:30 am
and it is a double fact considering the 8000 came with an old 40gb 3.5" drive but not anything special... and the 8800 put a 2.5" laptop drive in there.. i am not sure the size from memory anymore but probably also 40gb. Those types of drives are not like caviar blacks or anything extremely high end. They tend to reveal their age by the way they sound. I popped in a drive .. was it a 200 or 320.. who remembers. It made a difference in sound because it was newer and better quality. Same slow speed. The machine is a fully loaded tank covered in anti aircraft cannons... but those don't always win races.
By JUKE 179r Wed Jan 09, 2019 12:04 pm
I swapped out my MV's stock HDD for an internal flash card drive (120GB) just to quiet down the noise along with the aging stock noisy fan which I also swapped out for a quieter fan.
By chino Wed Jan 09, 2019 4:45 pm
JUKE 179r wrote:I swapped out my MV's stock HDD for an internal flash card drive (120GB) just to quiet down the noise along with the aging stock noisy fan which I also swapped out for a quieter fan.

Same here. The MV8800 has become more of a collector's piece for me since my Pioneer DJS-1000 sampler purchase. The MV8800 desperately needs a MKII update! :nod:
By CharlesRandolph Wed Jan 09, 2019 5:50 pm
Lampdog wrote:
CharlesRandolph wrote:The only benefits of a SSD is lower power draw of the power supply, less heat, no spinning parts, and newer hard drive.

That is how I see it also.

It's not even about how I see it, it is just a FACT.

Even brand new the MV8000 and MV8800 always felt a bit sluggish.
By JUKE 179r Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:54 am
chino wrote:The MV8800 desperately needs a MKII update! :nod:

Even an OS update for a scrolling cursor when editing samples (can be done on a PC/Mac with MV Kit Creator Pro program tho) and to allow for 1GB of RAM. For now, people can add 1GB of RAM but it's glitchy as hell when I tried it.

CharlesRandolph wrote:Even brand new the MV8000 and MV8800 always felt a bit sluggish.

I've heard this from multiple people about the MV's.
What I found out was the MV owners who stated this never upgraded the MV's OS. Roland corrected this issue and actually added other useful functions.