Forum for all other samplers & synths such as Maschine, MVs, Akai S & Z series, Roland, Korg, OP-1, analog synths etc.
By vout Tue Mar 15, 2016 2:08 pm
Hi,

There are two things I use for cleaning equipment like this - Biological washing powder (for washing clothes) is very good but must be used with care, because it can damage some plastics, but is excellent on metal painted surfaces. Most of the dirt and grime on studio equipment is biological in nature so it is very good at cleaning it, just mix a small amount in hot water. The other thing I use is bleach based bathroom cleaners - 'Dettol mold and mildew remover' is the best I have found. It's excellent on control panels and printed surfaces, but don't get it on your clothes! and make sure you clean it off thoroughly.

Another thing - if you find any small areas of surface rust, vinegar is very good at removing it, even from plastic, takes a bit of work though. I usually use a toothbrush to scrub it off.

Cheers, vout
By richie Tue Mar 15, 2016 10:27 pm
Eraser pads have chemicals in them and the pads themselves are porous and will remove dirt, as well as the silk screening and paint on plastics.

In my opinion, you're better off giving them a good wash with dish soap and a cloth and painting it over with a similar enough color to refurbish them. Many paint supply stores now have this laser thing that they can point on the object you want and the computer will detect the color, and can prepare a sample batch of that color. It's impressive.

Or you can say f*ck it and find yourself a new nice metal based knob from Asia on eBay that'll survive for the next term of usage.
By tedi_ted Fri Jan 04, 2019 2:19 pm
Just one watch out: Just cleaned my knobs and buttons with dish soap and boiling water. I thought the coffee and fat stains may need some more heat to get off. Unfortunately, it looks like the plastic parts lost some color :( So don't make it too hot!
By richie Fri Jan 04, 2019 8:44 pm
Wal Martian, that's the developing cream - 40 volume with 12% peroxide will do it. You'll have to coat the buttons and leave them in the sunlight to remove yellowing.

There are different grades that have lower strength levels, I've found the aforementioned to be the best in my experience. It also removed all the yellowing on the Super Nintendo plastics.
By tedi_ted Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:04 pm
richie wrote:Wal Martian, that's the developing cream - 40 volume with 12% peroxide will do it. You'll have to coat the buttons and leave them in the sunlight to remove yellowing.

There are different grades that have lower strength levels, I've found the aforementioned to be the best in my experience. It also removed all the yellowing on the Super Nintendo plastics.

This certainly helps for the white/grey parts. But does it for the blue or red ones?