MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By lordradish Sat Jan 05, 2019 4:24 am
Hey, folks,

Still learning the ropes with sequencing here, have a question. I play a lot of drone type music. And, of course, say, in a 16 bar sequence, that means holding the note for 16 bars. The problem is, of course, the retriggering. If I don't take my finger off on the very last second, it won't replay that sequence until it goes through the entire 16 bars again, and when it does, it retriggers it, every time. When you have a pad with a big sweep on the front of it, you don't generally want to do that. You want to trigger it once, and just sustain on subsequent repeats. I know, for example, when one uses Ableton live and loops a midi note that is constant, it doesn't retrigger it, so you can just have one seamless pad that plays indefinitely. Is there some sort of workaround for this, as, in a live setting, it really makes doing the drones next to impossible?
By lordradish Sun Jan 06, 2019 4:00 pm
zangetsu01 wrote:If the end of the note doesn’t sit so well why not select the note and ‘edit end’ so it will end exactly where you want it to?

Mostly because when doing that live, it would disrupt the flow... plus, it still retriggers the note instead of sustaining it.
Bymember04959388 Mon Jan 07, 2019 7:17 pm
If you don't record them and just push them on as the sequence goes, they play until the end.
Or you can extend the beats of the sequence until they fit with the drone length so it retriggers properly
By lordradish Wed Jan 09, 2019 3:05 am
Frisbi wrote:If you don't record them and just push them on as the sequence goes, they play until the end.
Or you can extend the beats of the sequence until they fit with the drone length so it retriggers properly

When you say 'push them on', what do you mean? I can't keep holding that note and then go play other synths through the Live.
Bymember04959388 Wed Jan 09, 2019 1:54 pm
You don't need to hold it.
Put oneshot on program edit and then you just need to switch it on and it plays until the end.
But best solution for me would be to extend the beats of the sequence so the drone makes a whole cycle and loops properly.
Just extend the bars from main menu andb then copy the content of every track to fill the bars of the sequence