Exchange tips and tricks for the Akai MPC4000
By tapedeck Thu Jan 10, 2019 5:09 pm
JVC wrote:If you master in 96K and then downconvert your final to 44.1K then you get dithering error, which is not avoidable.
88.2K to 44.1K conversion is "cleaner", because it is dividable.

you are right about different sample rates having different effect, but its worth pointing out, dithering is strictly a bit depth operation and doesn't actually happen when you convert sample rate...
you dither when you change bit depth like 24 bit to 16 bit. it has no bearing on sample rate.
(dithering adds really low-level noise to the signal, it's cool when you get in a controlled environment and really hear it demonstrated).

you are not wrong though, i have found even working at 48k sometimes changes my sound for the better, even such a slight adjustment.
By JVC Thu Jan 10, 2019 6:52 pm
I've read that article before. Very good article.
I should have said bit depth instead of bit rate! But it is usually refered as "bitrate" though.
I found it interesting about the 192khz sample rate discussion.
I have a few 24bit 192kHz Hi-def audio files, but I haven't been able to play them in 192kHz. (I'd convert them to 96KHz so that I can play in my system.)
By tapedeck Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:13 pm
JVC wrote:I should have said bit depth instead of bit rate! But it is usually refered as "bitrate" though

almost..
bit rate is really only applicable for things like mp3s.

bit depth is the range of numbers that can be stored for a single sample.

bit depth is expressed as bits (16 bit, 12 bit, 24 bit, etc...) and bit rate is expressed in kbps (128kbps, 256kbps, 360kpbs, etc...)

three unique concepts: bit depth, sample rate, and bit rate

bit depth and sample rate are what we are concerned with dealing with uncompressed audio, and its understandable that bitrate gets confused in there, considering it has a part of both of those terms in its name :mrgreen:
By Lampdog Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:31 pm
I've ran my rme ufx at 192 before. Before I even had a chance to hear shit recorded into it, I noticed configuring to 192 3/4's of my shit disappeared. This was before I understood any of this, straight newb. I'd never had gear that went that high and I wanted to see it in action. I was like "who stole the soul?'

Read up on it later that same day and understood WHY it did what it did.

88 took half my shit away
192 took even half of THAT away.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
By JVC Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:44 pm
I can see that it can be quite taxing to use 24bit/196KHz, for multitracking.
Good news is that hard drive and large scale data strage has become really cheap.
A 2TB hard drive can be purchased around US$70.
Having known floppy disks, MO drive, ZIP drive (RIP), I'd say that "The prices are insaaame!"
By richie Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:42 am
JVC wrote:I can see that it can be quite taxing to use 24bit/196KHz, for multitracking.
Good news is that hard drive and large scale data strage has become really cheap.
A 2TB hard drive can be purchased around US$70.
Having known floppy disks, MO drive, ZIP drive (RIP), I'd say that "The prices are insaaame!"

You gotta get in on the Western Digital 10TB drives at Bestbuy. They have been regularly going on sale for $180 and the drives inside are the higher end helium filled WD RED drives, 256megabyte cache. I just bought 4 more a month ago. The 8tb versions have been on sale for $130 as well.
By CharlesRandolph Fri Jan 11, 2019 3:15 am
Lampdog wrote:I've ran my rme ufx at 192 before. Before I even had a chance to hear **** recorded into it, I noticed configuring to 192 3/4's of my **** disappeared. This was before I understood any of this, straight newb. I'd never had gear that went that high and I wanted to see it in action. I was like "who stole the soul?'

Read up on it later that same day and understood WHY it did what it did.

88 took half my **** away
192 took even half of THAT away.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

That's the price of Higher Bit Rate. This is one of the reason why 24/96 is my standard, looking into getting SSL Duality δelta which would remedy the situations. With digital I never worry about dithering/converting it's a pretty simple process to deal with.

At this point, we are waiting for consumer playback devices to catch up. In this digital age there is no reason our car stereos, smartphone, audio player should not be able to playback 24/96 WAV files. There is always the argument that we can't hear certain frequency and we can't tell the difference between 320 kbps MP3 and 16 Bit 44.1 khz wav file.

To that I say we can't hear Ultrasound but it still can damage our hearing and our bodies. I never forget what my mentor told me. When you record an acoustic instrument like a upright BASS, you're not just recording the instrument, you're recording the entire person. Their breathe, body-mass, and heart beat. Everything transfer into the recordings, so when you record, try to capture as much of it as you can.
By NearTao Fri Jan 18, 2019 2:10 am
koncepticon wrote:Are there any? Seems a slight overkill in most situations, like a 32" 4k tv...

I take offense to that... my 65" 4k tv is also overkill!

Seriously though... there are legit reasons for 96khz... just the average person doesn't care. It is great for time stretching a crummy chime into the darkest ambient gong in your life though.

I hear at 192khz you can find the brown note.
By NearTao Fri Jan 18, 2019 2:13 am
Lampdog wrote:http://tweakheadz.com/16-bit-vs-24-bit-audio/

I read this YEARS ago and it was one of those things that stuck in my head that made sense as time went on and I had more gear with more options to experiment with.

I like the quote "Your whole chain has to pro quality, from preamps, in and out of the converters, into top quality monitors", though it does depend on what you're going for... chain is only as strong as the weakest link and such...