Technical questions for the MPC2000xl and the MPC2000
By Lampdog Thu Jan 10, 2019 4:18 pm
If all good and true then the big homies here may nominate you for custom crafted hardwood legs instead of plastic.
By tapedeck Thu Jan 10, 2019 4:55 pm
Plasticlegs wrote:I don't have time tonight, but tomorrow I'll create a video to show without any disk inserted that it boots from SCSI2SD and loads without issue from the SCSI2SD. I read this thread and assumed it wouldn't work. I gather it didn't work for the one person who started the thread but it could be as simple as the device not liking the brand of SD card he was attempting to use, a bad SCSI cable, wrong OS, any number of potential issues.

that's what i was thinking too. thank you for taking the time to report your success. this will be an awesome, modern replacement for obsolete zip / mo drives.
By Plasticlegs Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:59 pm

Kind of a PIA to upload this when I see that only one user couldn't get this to work. The SCSI power bus debacle was hilarious.

I filled the four banks with about 100mb and it takes about 1 minute to load. No editing was done to this video. All real time with an IPad and a crappy wireless speaker.
By tapedeck Fri Jan 11, 2019 1:06 am
Plasticlegs wrote:Kind of a PIA to upload this when I see that only one user couldn't get this to work. The SCSI power bus debacle was hilarious.

thanks for making the effort to prove a point - always good to see new mods.
By Plasticlegs Fri Jan 11, 2019 5:24 am
Thanks Tapedeck! -- Thanks distortedtekno!

It's a relief that there are some good modern enhancements around to keep this machine relevant and useful.

If not for forum members such as yourselves, I'm certain I would have regretted posting on here that it actually works. I buy and sell gear in my imagination based completely on forums, feedback and comments. Before I plug it in, I already know what I like and don't like about something I buy. There's equipment I've never used and absolutely hate. Stuff I need that might have no negligible improvements over something I already have. I've seen arguments over what gear is better by people who admittedly never used it.

so on.. blah blah.. you know.. but anyway, Thanks!
By distortedtekno Fri Jan 11, 2019 6:46 am
We value the info highly around here. There’s a few of us who prefer the Classic and wanna see them running in another 22 years. Between the MPC-Stuff display screens and the SCSI2SD, things are looking good for the longevity and the value of the machine. The sound quality has more of a punch than the newer models. So it would be a shame to see them end up in a landfill. There’s enough garbage gear out there as it is.
By richie Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:11 am
distortedtekno wrote:Thanks for proving that it works. :worthy:
Now I can stop recommending MO drives. :lol:

:lol:
By richie Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:13 am
distortedtekno wrote: The sound quality has more of a punch than the newer models. So it would be a shame to see them end up in a landfill. There’s enough garbage gear out there as it is.

Do you think there is a definitive difference sound wise between the 2000 and XL ?
By distortedtekno Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:38 am
richie wrote:
distortedtekno wrote: The sound quality has more of a punch than the newer models. So it would be a shame to see them end up in a landfill. There’s enough garbage gear out there as it is.

Do you think there is a definitive difference sound wise between the 2000 and XL ?

It’s subtle for the most part. But some low frequencies sound a bit meatier to me.
By Wal Martian Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:56 pm
richie wrote:

Often debated here, these Akai samplers are known for a clean transparent sound. To me they both knock pretty good, especially when you sample records at 45rpm and pitch them down. To me the 2000 is a little more crisp or 'boxy' (think early Kanye) on stuff like snare drums, but all the 2K's and 2Kxl's I've used sound great, and they're nice and loud.
By Lampdog Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:08 pm
I think the opposite.

imo

2kxl is 0.001% brighter.

2k has 0.002% more bottom (think creamy bass)
By distortedtekno Sat Jan 12, 2019 3:16 am
Lampdog wrote:I think the opposite.

imo

2kxl is 0.001% brighter.

2k has 0.002% more bottom (think creamy bass)

You hit the nail right on the head. :nod: