MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By JonnyMPC Fri Jan 11, 2019 6:06 pm
Hi everybody. I am a new owner of mpc x and mpc in general. This is also my first post in here. Really enjoying the mpc so far and have re-started my interest for making music again, not just listening. :)

My question is; do the mpc X have 6 or 8 analog 1/4 jack outputs? On the FAQ on akai.com it is clearly stated that mpc x has 8 analog audio outputs. When I try to route the different programs in mpc x to output 1-8, this works perfectly for all channels except output 1 and 2. On the back output 1 and 2 are clearly labeled as Main L+R. It is stated in the mpc x user manual that programs can be routed to 1 and 2 which is routing to L+R. Since there actually is a routing to output 1 and 2, there should be 8 separate working analog outputs? :hmmm:

I think maybe I must be missing something obvious here, or? I have not been able to find any information that address this topic specifically, but if this is covered elsewhere I do apologize.

The setup I am building is:
MPC X outputs to analog mixer Mackie1604VLZ4
Effects through the analog aux send return.
Then add one or more hardware synth after a while.

The reason for the hardware route is that I have just found it a bit more inspirational than pure software. So it does matter whether it is 6 or 8 channels.

Any advice, help, or just pointing me in the right direction will be much appreciated.

Regards
Jon
By Lampdog Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:44 pm
My 4k can route to 8 outs separate from main outs = 10outs.
My 2kxl can also route to 8 outs separate from main outs = 10 outs.

Looks like you got 8 but 1+2 are dedicated main outs??

By JonnyMPC Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:47 pm
Agreed there are 8 output jacks on the mpc x. And the first two of the eight are definitively main L+R. From what I can read in the user manual, there seems to be described that programs can be routed to output 1 and 2 and that those outputs are the same as L+R. If anyone has experience that this actually can be done, a confirmation will be much appreciated. I can then figure out how to do it as long as I know that it can be done. If on the other it is not possible to change the output of Main L+R, I will stop trying to solve something that cannot be solved.

Thanks for hour replies.
By NearTao Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:56 pm
Short Answer: Yes, you can use the MPC Live/X as 8 mono outputs

Long Answer: There is a "hidden" panel (eye) icon in the main menu. If you select this, you can route to 1/2 (really L/R on the back), 3/4, 5/6, 7/8 (X only), 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 (X only), 8 (X only).
By Lampdog Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:04 pm
NearTao wrote:Short Answer: Yes, you can use the MPC Live/X as 8 mono outputs

Long Answer: There is a "hidden" panel (eye) icon in the main menu. If you select this, you can route to 1/2 (really L/R on the back), 3/4, 5/6, 7/8 (X only), 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 (X only), 8 (X only).

That's exactly what I figured, that L+R could be routed.
By CharlesRandolph Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:44 pm
I always wished the ADAT and 8 out on the 4000, could be used to route 16 out at a time.. :)

Lampdog wrote:My 4k can route to 8 outs separate from main outs = 10outs.
My 2kxl can also route to 8 outs separate from main outs = 10 outs.

Looks like you got 8 but 1+2 are dedicated main outs??

By Lampdog Sat Jan 12, 2019 1:05 am
CharlesRandolph wrote:I always wished the ADAT and 8 out on the 4000, could be used to route 16 out at a time.. :)

I would love that, but, it is what it is and I love what it is either way.
By JonnyMPC Sat Jan 12, 2019 12:23 pm
Hi guys. I tried what you suggested, and did the routing. It turns out that it is the same menu that I was accessing all a long from the main main menu, and channel mixer. Since that did not give any new results, I thought that it might be a cable issue. Today I have tried different cables both balanced and unbalanced but still no result.

I am routing the different programs to 1 to 8. All works fine except 1 and 2. The master is routed to 1,2 (since I have no where else to put it).

So frustrating, thanks for the input guys.
By Danoc Sat Jan 12, 2019 9:44 pm
I think that is the case of 1and 2 being stereo and can't be broken up.

When l had the 2000XL l had 8 individual outs, but l also had a stereo pair to give me 10 outs. That was dope. I would put all my drums and perc etc on the two main outs and all other sounds on the 8 outs. Ran it through the Yamaha O2R to get a nice warm sound and it worked well. I think thats how people should use it.

If l was using the the outs l would go my old way. The converters on the live and X are sexy dope :-)

Lampdog wrote:I don’t have akai software but I’m still curious.
So your saying 1 and 2 are stuck at being main out?

That seems odd.