Forum for all other samplers & synths such as Maschine, MVs, Akai S & Z series, Roland, Korg, OP-1, analog synths etc.
By dryad-66 Fri Oct 19, 2018 2:47 pm
chino wrote:
Blue Monster 65 wrote:I brought a TR-8S home with me for a short while. It was nice, easy to use, sounded great and offered a lot of fun and flexibility. However, next to the SP-16, it was rather redundant and didn't sound as good to me (though some of its features would be nice to have on the SP-16). I didn't keep it.

The AS-1 seems to be a pretty good mono synth; very versatile and sounds great. I've already got a mono synth, but I keep thinking that one may come home with me one of these days, too.

I appreciate the feedback. The TR-8s looks like alot of fun but it might be redundant for me as well. I have already have a DJ-808, MV8800, & a HandSonic HPD-20. I'm a bit of a gear hoarder! :lol:

I do need some sort of a synth. Im currently using a Korg Kaossilator Plus. Thats why Im leaning towards a Toraiz AS-1. Ive read about sync issues and the interface not being very user friendly. I may need to take a trip to Sam Ash to try it out ...

:smoker:

:roll: :roll: :roll:
By chino Thu Nov 08, 2018 6:41 pm
I posted on Pioneer DJ's forum for any indication on an update for the Toraiz AS-1 mono synth. I would still like to add it to my setup once the MIDI SYNC issue is ironed out.

I think I may have discovered my first bug of the DJS-1000. Once a sample is recorded live, I attempt to rename & save the sample. While renaming & playing the sample at the same time, the sample sounds as if there is a flanger efx on it. I triple checked to see if I have an Effect on but there is none. I can reproduce this issue everytime I go to rename & save a live recorded sample that is simultaneously being played live. Playback of the sample corrects itself (back to sounding how it was originally recorded) after the sample is saved, though.
By chino Thu Nov 08, 2018 7:15 pm
Below is a STEP by STEP explanation of how to recreate the DJS-1000 Sample Playback BUG...

Step 1: Record live into the DJS-1000 sampler

Step 2: Press the corresponding pad on the Touch screen to the physical pad that the RECORDING is located on.

Step 3: Press SAMPLING/EDIT on the Touch screen WHILE the recording is being played.

Step 4: Press SAVE CHANGES on the Touch screen

Step 5: Rename the Recording WHILE it is playing.

RESULT: Played recording sounds as if there is an efx on it(flanger). Recording plays back normally(as originally recorded) once the SAMPLE is renamed & SAVED to the USB.

EXPECTED Result: I need to be able to record a phrase, RENAME & SAVE it all while playing the recording live WITHOUT the sound being altered during live playback.
By chino Wed Jan 16, 2019 4:29 pm
*UPDATE*

I received a reply back from Pioneer DJ about the bug I reported....

"Passed that along - thanks for the feedback".
Pulse November 24, 2018 15:16

I guess that's a step in the right direction? :hmmm:

Currently, I'm still learning & using the DJS-1000 sampler daily. I set a goal of finishing 20 Club remixes by the end of Febuary. So far I have 9 completed. Almost halfway there! :-D
By Lampdog Wed Jan 16, 2019 6:04 pm
You are physically changing a file while it's actively in use and moving?
Like changing a car tire while the car is cruising done the street?
By chino Wed Jan 16, 2019 8:53 pm
Lampdog wrote:You are physically changing a file while it's actively in use and moving?
Like changing a car tire while the car is cruising done the street?

Sorry, but I'm not following you. If you mean that I'm using a sampler to sample other people's works & re-imagine it in a new creative way then- YES! I can also perform with my remixes in a live gig setting. Thats how I use the DJS-1000 sampler. It's designed for live "changing the car tire while the car is cruising" remix use! :nod:
By chino Wed Jan 16, 2019 9:00 pm
Everything is real time on the DJS-1000 sampler so I can literally take a 70bpm 'Trap' song for example & flip it into a 140 bpm Jersey Club remix as I play live to a crowd at a club.
By Lampdog Wed Jan 16, 2019 9:59 pm
That's not what I meant.

Changing a filename, is not audio. It's data, Your changing data while playing data.
Your physically changing the most important identifier that piece of data has.

You just might hear a slight glitch or something while doing it..
By chino Thu Jan 17, 2019 3:25 am
Lampdog wrote:That's not what I meant.

Changing a filename, is not audio. It's data, Your changing data while playing data.
Your physically changing the most important identifier that piece of data has.

You just might hear a slight glitch or something while doing it..

Ahhh, ok I'm following you now. That's prob why I'm hearing a slight glitchy flanger effect as I save & rename a recorded sample. Its because Im saving it while its playing so Im actually changing the data itself. Wow, lol that went completely over my head! Thats prob not something Pioneer can "fix " per say.
By Lampdog Thu Jan 17, 2019 6:32 pm
Cool, you get it now. I don't think it's a bug though. Computers do something like that too, if you have a file open and try to rename it the computer will tell you, it's open somewhere else or something to that effect and you can't rename it until you close it.

Not a big deal, just close the file, stop playback of the sample, rename it and continue on.
By chino Thu Jan 17, 2019 9:02 pm
Lampdog wrote:Cool, you get it now. I don't think it's a bug though. Computers do something like that too, if you have a file open and try to rename it the computer will tell you, it's open somewhere else or something to that effect and you can't rename it until you close it.

Not a big deal, just close the file, stop playback of the sample, rename it and continue on.

I appreciate you taking the time to explain that to me! All good, I can adjust my workflow. I'll just save & name the sample(s) AFTER I'm done playing them during a live set. That way what I record is exactly what I hear out of the monitors. The good news is that I haven't experienced any freezes or crashes while saving samples/projects etc.(knock on wood!!!)
By Lampdog Thu Jan 17, 2019 9:48 pm
If doing a live set, be careful with renaming, why, because projects, and/or programs will be looking for the last saved name of a file/sample. If you rename samples in the middle of a set and then load a project that is looking for a particular sample/file it can't find it. Bad in a live/time sensitive situation.

When Projects/Programs are saved they remember the filenames.
By JUKE 179r Fri Jan 18, 2019 9:28 am
Lampdog wrote:Cool, you get it now. I don't think it's a bug though. Computers do something like that too, if you have a file open and try to rename it the computer will tell you, it's open somewhere else or something to that effect and you can't rename it until you close it.

Lampdog... IT guy, MPC head and all around cool mf teacher. :nod:
By chino Sat Jan 19, 2019 5:22 am
mr_debauch wrote:does the effect that the bug causes sound good?

It sounds very similar to a flanger so yea, lol it sounds pretty good. I just dont want a flanger effect every time I save/rename a sample while Im playing live. For now, I save the samples/project after I'm done playing the sound(s).