Exchange tips and tricks for the Akai MPC4000

By mozzy4k Wed Jul 07, 2004 3:02 am
Yeah, I read the manual all over the weekend trying to get more informaiton. I started with the manual from the time I opened the MPC from the box. I know better when you have a monster like this :)

As for spyware, this machine (the one using AKsys) is blocked from the internet. It's only purpose is Audio production. All files are downloaded on another machine then copied over to it.

I verified the same behaviour on my laptop. Crashes over and over.

I did however make some progress.

I updated the USB drivers to the 2.01 from AKAI's website. It says it's for WIN98 SE users. But it didn't specify "ONLY" so I figured I would give it a shot.

Windows checks to see if the drivers you are trying to update are older or newer than your exisiting. It allowed me to update to the 2.01 version and I checked the version afterwards and it showed 2.01

Ok so now it would see the samples as a "CHANGED" state and prompt me to xfer them back to the MPC.

But I still have problems. Sometimes when I double click a sample on the MPC it will begin to transfer and show the progress bar 10% 30%, etc...

Then jump to 100% very quickly. Then when I see the sample inside the editor (Sound Forge) it has big silent gaps in it.
By koncepticon Fri Dec 21, 2018 12:39 am
I just got an MPC4000.. mint-like condition from guitar center... anyway

Im having multiple issues just with basic setup, trying to determine if this is due to failed hardware while within my time limit that i can return or make them send off for repair..

The main issue currently is when i use the aksys to transfer, it starts.,. sometimes it completes like it should.. most of the time it randomly disocnnects. 1 minute, 5 minutes, 10 minutes after starting a large transfer.. Is this due to my operating system incompatiblilties, or did i get a lemon?

I finally foind 1 stick of 128MB ran that works,.. the other 9 i tried seemed ok but when i load a pgm or sample it comes out as fuzz/static.
By Lampdog Wed Jan 02, 2019 7:12 pm
I've always had to transfer just a few at a time. The software will never be updated so I just had to live with it.
By Mike Boogie Thu Jan 03, 2019 4:03 pm
koncepticon wrote:I just got an MPC4000.. mint-like condition from guitar center... anyway

Im having multiple issues just with basic setup, trying to determine if this is due to failed hardware while within my time limit that i can return or make them send off for repair..

The main issue currently is when i use the aksys to transfer, it starts.,. sometimes it completes like it should.. most of the time it randomly disocnnects. 1 minute, 5 minutes, 10 minutes after starting a large transfer.. Is this due to my operating system incompatiblilties, or did i get a lemon?

I finally foind 1 stick of 128MB ran that works,.. the other 9 i tried seemed ok but when i load a pgm or sample it comes out as fuzz/static.

Believe it or not, Aksys is a complete buggy mess from an era about 15 years ago. Plus the program itself is badly coded from jump. That said, the ONLY way I ever got Aksys to work properly almost took an act of God Himself.

I had luck with VM Ware, using a Win XP (a very dangerous OS to use without a sandbox) virtual machine. I copied full DVDs worth of data to the HDD in my 4k in one fell swoop.

It can be done, just much more trouble than it's worth. I load folders of data from a USB stick now.
By Lampdog Thu Jan 03, 2019 6:22 pm
That software was ahead of it's time and I WISH it was better fleshed out and completed.
It is what it is though.
By mpampouras Sun Jan 20, 2019 11:41 am
koncepticon wrote:I just got an MPC4000.. mint-like condition from guitar center... anyway

I used to have the same issues when just transfering vinyl by using my 4k as a preamp / recorder.
Now I just use the ADAT connection and record directly to my mac via my RME card. :worthy: