MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By JeriKo Jackson Mon Jan 21, 2019 2:38 am
Power jack on my live stopped working. This is for sure an easy fix for the repair guy I use but wanted to see if it would be covered under warranty. Im assuming that my warranty expired since I purchased in July of '17 but some products Ive bought before have had much longer than a 12 month warranty. There was no warranty documentation that I could find with my original box and materials. I also couldn't find much on the AkaiPro site.
By CharlesRandolph Mon Jan 21, 2019 5:48 am
JeriKo Jackson wrote:Power jack on my live stopped working. This is for sure an easy fix for the repair guy I use but wanted to see if it would be covered under warranty. Im assuming that my warranty expired since I purchased in July of '17 but some products Ive bought before have had much longer than a 12 month warranty. There was no warranty documentation that I could find with my original box and materials. I also couldn't find much on the AkaiPro site.

Warranty is normally 1 year or 3 months for commercial usage (Rental Services, etc). The power port on these devices are bad news bears. They should selected a more robust connector. Below is how to contact them, they may be able to do something. :-D

Submit a Warranty or Service inquiry with our Technical Support team by logging onto the Akai Pro Support Page. Select Warranty or Service Inquiry from the drop down menu. http://www.akaipro.com/support
By CharlesRandolph Mon Jan 21, 2019 6:17 am
JeriKo Jackson wrote:I submitted a support ticket right away. I agree with you about the connector. I wish it were more robust like what Lenovo thinkpads use.

For something like the live, which is battery powered. The wear and tear on them is going be higher. Is it the live connector or the live's power supply?
By MPC-Tutor Mon Jan 21, 2019 8:54 am
Manufacturer warranty is an additional bonus, but it doesn't affect your core statutory consumer rights. Check your country's consumer laws to see what they say about how long you should expect a certain type of equipment to last and what the procedure is to make a claim under those laws. Usually your contract is with the retailer, not the manufacturer. Also the retailer might have their own warranty, often 2 - 5 years in the pro audio industry.
By JeriKo Jackson Tue Jan 22, 2019 2:59 am
MPC-Tutor wrote:Manufacturer warranty is an additional bonus, but it doesn't affect your core statutory consumer rights. Check your country's consumer laws to see what they say about how long you should expect a certain type of equipment to last and what the procedure is to make a claim under those laws. Usually your contract is with the retailer, not the manufacturer. Also the retailer might have their own warranty, often 2 - 5 years in the pro audio industry.

Facts. I'm in Australia (via New Jersey) Akai hasn't responded to me yet but I contacted the retailer. They are initiating the warranty claim and putting me in contact with the distributor who will resolve the claim. I will have to ship the unit to them and hopefully they replace it with a new one or in the least repair the fault free of charge. The distributor will have to first determine the fault and possible cause before they decide what warranty applies. Regardless of retailer or distributor policy, Australia has their own laws pertaining to product warranties depending on several factors including price of the goods (in this case $1600 AUD). We get killed down under with retail prices but that's another story

The retailer said it should still be under warranty. I RMA'd a different product to a distributor last year, which I owned for 6 months, was half what the Live costs and they told me it was covered for another 2 years!

CharlesRandolph wrote:For something like the live, which is battery powered. The wear and tear on them is going be higher. Is it the live connector or the live's power supply?

I tried another 19v power supply with the same result; usually when on AC power the green LED inside the unit glows but not in my case. For the warranty side of things, the pin in the power jack seems fine but I believe that the jack has somehow come loose from the board. Like I have said from day one. The unit feels cheap so I'm not suprised this happened.
I don't always use the clip attached to the unit for fastening the power cable, but I do treat the unit with care and that includes when I'm plugging and unplugging. It is what it is.

Thanks fellas
By JeriKo Jackson Tue Feb 12, 2019 2:37 am
So just to update:

My unit is being repaired under warranty. Issue had to do with the actual pcbu board. They are waiting for a new battery to arrive from the USA to complete the repair. Should be another 2 weeks to get my MPC back :Sigh:

I had hoped they would just replace the whole unit but no such luck with this distributor. It’s already been over 3 weeks so I’m thirsty to get back to bangin those pads not to mention digging into the 2.4 update!