Akai Force Forum: Everything relating to the Akai Force, the new 64 pad, clip-based standalone sampler/groovebox from Akai. While not an MPC, it shares many similar software features to the MPC X/MPC Live including the same underlying code-base.
By Unreallystic Wed Jan 30, 2019 5:04 pm
kaydigi wrote:Still flip flopping on the force pre order. It ticks so many boxes, but I think I’m going to cancel it. When it gets a song mode I’ll look at it again.

I spent most of the studio time yesterday just using clip programs in the Live and touch. I haven’t used it since the launch of the Live. I didn’t know you could export sequences to clips , so when 2.4 drops I’ll try to incorporate it into my song structure.

I'm waiting for a 36 or 48 month financing option before I pre-order/order. This month I finally hit $0 on my GC card, and my goal was paying off debt in 2019, not bringing on more debt. So I haven't pre-order it yet, but I am actively looking at it still.

That is the frustrating thing about it. When it was first announced I felt this way, then it was resolved, now, I'm back at it. It has so much potential, but certain things are just left alone, and take away substantial value for *me*. It feels geared more towards DJ/Live performance than production - and that's fine, in fact that has greatly increased its value for me personally in some aspects as I've been getting some DJ request lately even though its not my strong suit, however my eyes and heart see it as possibly a better production tool than the MPC Live for on the go work, but its missing certain boxes that it needs for that.

As DJ gear it won't need a battery.
As DJ gear it doesn't need a song mode.
Using the same hardware profile as the MPC Live/C it most likely is already tapped out on "headroom", which is why song mode is most likely not a thing.
The DJ Gear focus makes it 100% standalone, no place for VSTs.
-Unreall
By d2ba Wed Jan 30, 2019 5:53 pm
i flipped the Pioneer DJS-1000 because of frustrating 4 bar limit (thats worse than no song mode)
Will the Akai Force be compatible with Akai MPC 2.4 software or will it strictly be Ableton Live only?
By Unreallystic Wed Jan 30, 2019 6:39 pm
d2ba wrote:i flipped the Pioneer DJS-1000 because of frustrating 4 bar limit (thats worse than no song mode)
Will the Akai Force be compatible with Akai MPC 2.4 software or will it strictly be Ableton Live only?

I had thought about getting the 1000s older brother - the Toraiz, but that 32 second sample limit was just crazy. I don't get why in 2010+ we are fighting over memory. When a unit cost that much, it needs to be able to sample a whole movie.

I thought I read something about working with the MPC software, but I don't remember my source, so I can't call it a fact....like an educated hunch of something...
- Unreall
By chino Wed Jan 30, 2019 7:08 pm
I had thought about getting the 1000s older brother - the Toraiz, but that 32 second sample limit was just crazy. I don't get why in 2010+ we are fighting over memory. When a unit cost that much, it needs to be able to sample a whole movie.

The Pioneer DJS-1000 can now do 64 seconds PER PAD with the firmware update. I agree that given today's tech, it should have at least 16GB RAM and internal storage(or the ability to add your own amount of internal storage).

Unfortunately, DJ/music production hardware manufacturers seem to cut costs anyway they can. :roll:
By Unreallystic Wed Jan 30, 2019 8:43 pm
chino wrote:

The Pioneer DJS-1000 can now do 64 seconds PER PAD with the firmware update. I agree that given today's tech, it should have at least 16GB RAM and internal storage(or the ability to add your own amount of internal storage).

Unfortunately, DJ/music production hardware manufacturers seem to cut costs anyway they can. :roll:

What about the Toraiz though?

And yeah, I don't get the cost cutting at times. The removal of headphone jacks has meant that I literally CAN'T use an iPhone now unless I keep a dongle as I use my phone for sampling sometimes. Apple saved pennies on the phone for this. When I look at how much a lot of the equipment cost, I straight up compare it to a computer since I build those - and I'm in awe at the things they get so cheap on. Sometimes there is a good reason (MPC/Force) - where the hardware as currently implemented - is capped, but other times - like the Toraiz - it was like "What is the point?". Pioneer could have made money hand over fist if they finished baking the Toraiz into what it could have been (stand alone MPC before there was a stand alone MPC).

That's one thing I have to tip my hat to with the Force, bird's eye view it doesn't look like they tried to cheap out on stuff. There maybe stuff I don't like how it was designed, but its not that they were holding back, I feel like Akai is trying to give us the best product possible within the constraints of their current ecosystem. Things like no battery are more based around how they expect it to be used. Larger screen would screw up the product dimensions, which already feel pretty big, and if coupled with other DJ gear, would definitely be too big. Internal memory feels like a joke, if they are just using an SD card, well I'd gladly give them an extra 50 bones to get like 128 gigs, though I'm sure its a high quality SD card for durability purposes and not some cheap korean knock-off.
-Unreall
Bymember04959388 Wed Jan 30, 2019 9:58 pm
@ Unreall

My friend, given what pioneer and elektron are making, Mpc is the future but Akai has to upgrade the Ram to at least 4gb and make Mpc capable of accepting different midi channels.
They are near, in my opinion, they still need one year or so
By NearTao Wed Jan 30, 2019 10:41 pm
Unreallystic wrote:well I'd gladly give them an extra 50 bones to get like 128 gigs, though I'm sure its a high quality SD card for durability purposes and not some cheap korean knock-off.
-Unreall

For about $50 you can pick up a decent 128gb SSD and install it into the Force.
By eclipxe Wed Jan 30, 2019 11:18 pm
I preordered Force. I plan to build scenes then export to Ableton to do final arrangement until I can arrange on device.

Creativity and idea generation standalone, then editing and fine tuning on the PC.
By chino Thu Jan 31, 2019 1:43 am
eclipxe wrote:I preordered Force. I plan to build scenes then export to Ableton to do final arrangement until I can arrange on device.

Creativity and idea generation standalone, then editing and fine tuning on the PC.

I work in a very similar way except I use the Pioneer DJS-1000 to get ideas down quick & the Studio One DAW for editing, tracking out & mastering.

I'm VERY tempted to preorder the Force but given Akai's track record... I will wait for some independent user reviews BEFORE I make a purchase! I do wish Akai had beefed up the CPU & RAM for the Force. It kinda feels like maybe the X didn't sell as well as Akai wanted so they used spare parts from the X for the Force. Will Akai's 'Clip launch' mode be well thought out in it's implementation??
By eclipxe Thu Jan 31, 2019 2:39 am
Once disk streaming is in, RAM won’t be a big issue. Agree more CPU and RAM are always good. The clip workflow looks pretty solid - basically the same as Push 2...
By Unreallystic Thu Jan 31, 2019 4:11 pm
NearTao wrote:
Unreallystic wrote:well I'd gladly give them an extra 50 bones to get like 128 gigs, though I'm sure its a high quality SD card for durability purposes and not some cheap korean knock-off.
-Unreall

For about $50 you can pick up a decent 128gb SSD and install it into the Force.

I know, and I will throw a SSD into them when I get them (Force), but just like my phone, I'd prefer for the base to already be high, so I'm not reliant entirely on my add-on.
- Unreall
By BigDaddyDavee Thu Jan 31, 2019 6:03 pm
If you only need sampling, which is pretty much where I am at then get the X. I have both X and Live and I see no need for the Force.

The X feels much better to me than the Live if that helps. Screen being adjustable is a huge bonus over the Live and the Force is pretty much the same device with extra stuff. I don't think I need a great big pad array instead of the beat 'em up pads.

In the UK the Force has dropped by about 150 - 200 quid. Don't know if that tells you anything.
By renegadebliss Mon Feb 25, 2019 9:56 am
chino wrote:
Unreallystic wrote:What about the Toraiz though?
-Unreall

The Toraiz has also received a firmware update that allows sampling up to 64 seconds. :-D

http://docs.pioneerdj.com/Manuals/TORAI ... 59&page=18

So they replaced a limit with another limit? Thank goodness DJ's never use acapella's that might last longer then 64 seconds...
By DokBrown Fri Mar 01, 2019 9:24 pm
My key question: Is where exactly do the MPC and FORCE overlap & where do they not ?

https://www.akaipro.com/kb/akai-pro-for ... questions/

I imagine the ultimate combo is a
1] AKAI FORCE for recording/clip launching b/c the ableton grid/XLR
Akai force is on OS 3.0.1

2] MPC LIVE for drums/sequencing b/c PADS/MIDI outs
MPC live is on OS 2.4

MIDI sync them where the FORCE is the master & the MPC slaves.

If I get both, I want to know how much I can move files/sets in between them VS having to MIDI sync them. I would like to travel with just 1 machine & I think the FORCE is that machine. It appears to be the new MPC with Ableton clip launching abilities stacked on top.

From what I can tell, the FORCE can load MPC .XPMs drum programs
Will the MPCs be able to load the FORCE sets in any limited format ????

If I have to get 1, I think it would be the FORCE if I did not have ableton already.