MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By surfhai Fri Jan 25, 2019 7:42 am
Hello.

I am really satisfied with my new MPC Live, 3 days ago i got my first mpc. I did not have any before. OK, now my question, I have found no solution to the internet.

Ok, i load some instruments via the Browse / Content / Instruments menu in my project. Now i go to my main project window and choose for track 1 the option Keygroup Program. In the column Keygroup Program, now i can choose the loaded instruments and can play these with the Pads or external Keyboard. But, usually every synthesizer has buttons / knobs to manipulate the cutoff, resonance filter etc. in direct access. This is a standard and very important for me to manipulate the sound and to integrate them in the existing arrangement !!!
I have tried to find that standard option on my mpc-live. I have tried to modify the Q-Link knobs over the Q-Link edit menu. But i have only the possibility to choose Volume, Pan, Mute etc, not a Cutoff Filter or similar.

I can not believe that nobody has missed this function yet in a key group program !!!

I asked Matthew Stratton, a mpc youtube blogger and he wrote there is no way to do this as i would like. I think this is a very big mistake. Now you have the great opportunity to sample your Hardware Synth´s with the Autosampler function. Imagine you sample a Roland tb-303. Save it as a Keygroup Program and start playing with the pads. What is the main feature of the tb-303? Yes, to change the sound using the cutoff and resonance knob. In my opinion, this is absolutely incredible not being able to do that in a simple way on a mpc-live. This is like a Roland tb-303 without Knobs. Absolutely senseless. 

Summarized: in the main project window, i create a track and in this track i select keygroup program, now i can skip, hear and play a previously loaded instrument. I want manipulate the Cutoff / Resonance in direct access above the Q-Link Knobs. I don´t want to change the window and go into the program edit mode to play with the cutoff filter and so on. That interrupts my workflow. Is there any solution? I hope you understand what i mean. Sorry for my bad english.

Greetings from Berlin :)
By surfhai Fri Jan 25, 2019 5:07 pm
Hello Frisbi. Thanks for your quick answer. But i don't know exactly what you mean. I go to the q-link edit menu. Then i go to project mode, but I see no possibility to assign a cutoff or resonance filter to a q-link. I can set volume, mute, send etc, but this is not what I want. Maybe i´m to stupid, because you say it is basic stuff. :)

It it possible to explain exactly what you mean, what should I do. Or maybe you have a link to some youtube videos ?

Thank you for your help, time and nerves. ;)
By Lampdog Fri Jan 25, 2019 5:10 pm
surfhai wrote:But i have only the possibility to choose Volume, Pan, Mute etc, not a Cutoff Filter or similar.

I can not believe that nobody has missed this function yet in a key group program !!!

I don't have a Live but I was able to find this info in the manual in 2 minutes.
page 278 and up I believe it was.
Bymember04959388 Fri Jan 25, 2019 11:18 pm
surfhai wrote:Hello Frisbi. Thanks for your quick answer. But i don't know exactly what you mean. I go to the q-link edit menu. Then i go to project mode, but I see no possibility to assign a cutoff or resonance filter to a q-link. I can set volume, mute, send etc, but this is not what I want. Maybe i´m to stupid, because you say it is basic stuff. :)

It it possible to explain exactly what you mean, what should I do. Or maybe you have a link to some youtube videos ?

Thank you for your help, time and nerves. ;)

In project mode, push on the qlink. On the right, choose the program. Above you have another box and above you have small writing: mixer, program, insert1, insert2 and so on.
If you want the cutoff from program. Or you can out a filter on insert1 and so you find it on insert1.
Anyway man, it's all written clearly on the manual, did you download it?
By surfhai Tue Jan 29, 2019 12:27 pm
Hi Frisbi and Lampdog. Thanks for your answers. :)
@ Frisbi .. Please look at your sentence, this is exactly what i mean. I have to go to … and then open … when i am there … click on … 5 windows and 5 minutes later, i got it. I have to do this procedure on every essential instrument that i load into my sequence, because there are no Q-Link informations saved in the internal factory keygroup programs. All this for a simple cutoff or lowpass filter??? Sorry.

I have a lot of synthesizer, for example a Roland JDxi, Walldorf Blofeld, xtreme lead 1, Yamaha FS1R and so on, It takes a second to find the cutoff in direct access. Ok on my Roland XV3080 you have no Knobs, but you have the possibility to control the cutoff ( standard midi CC 74 ), via an external midi controller. But on the mpc, there is no way to do that.

For example, take a look at the Korg Electribe 2 Sampler, that is the basic, that is what i mean. Both machines have the same goal to make music with samples. But on the Korg you have a Sample, Instrument or Oscillator call it what you want, and it does not matter which one you choose, the way of the tone is every time the same. All the parameter you need to manipulate the Sample or Sound, you have in direct access. Cutoff, Resonance, Tune, ADSR, Effect Send and so on.
You don´t have to go to …. and choose the window … and click …. to save … - and this on every loaded sample and every new track, like on the mpc-live.

If i Sample my Roland tb 303 with the Korg electric sampler, I can start manipulate and playing with the sound immediately after the recording. I have all the basic parameter in direct access.
Try that with the mpc-live !!!! ;)

Please do not get me wrong, the mpc-live is a great machine, i love that portable concept and i do my best to find a solution to my problem. Now i create template keygroup programs. In the Q-Link Program section i set instead of a cutoff a lowpass filter on the q-links.

Maybe akai brings a software update and integrate really flexibel Q-Links. Then i am happy. :)
Bymember04959388 Tue Jan 29, 2019 2:03 pm
surfhai wrote:Hi Frisbi and Lampdog. Thanks for your answers. :)
@ Frisbi .. Please look at your sentence, this is exactly what i mean. I have to go to … and then open … when i am there … click on … 5 windows and 5 minutes later, i got it. I have to do this procedure on every essential instrument that i load into my sequence, because there are no Q-Link informations saved in the internal factory keygroup programs. All this for a simple cutoff or lowpass filter??? Sorry.

I have a lot of synthesizer, for example a Roland JDxi, Walldorf Blofeld, xtreme lead 1, Yamaha FS1R and so on, It takes a second to find the cutoff in direct access. Ok on my Roland XV3080 you have no Knobs, but you have the possibility to control the cutoff ( standard midi CC 74 ), via an external midi controller. But on the mpc, there is no way to do that.

For example, take a look at the Korg Electribe 2 Sampler, that is the basic, that is what i mean. Both machines have the same goal to make music with samples. But on the Korg you have a Sample, Instrument or Oscillator call it what you want, and it does not matter which one you choose, the way of the tone is every time the same. All the parameter you need to manipulate the Sample or Sound, you have in direct access. Cutoff, Resonance, Tune, ADSR, Effect Send and so on.
You don´t have to go to …. and choose the window … and click …. to save … - and this on every loaded sample and every new track, like on the mpc-live.

If i Sample my Roland tb 303 with the Korg electric sampler, I can start manipulate and playing with the sound immediately after the recording. I have all the basic parameter in direct access.
Try that with the mpc-live !!!! ;)

Please do not get me wrong, the mpc-live is a great machine, i love that portable concept and i do my best to find a solution to my problem. Now i create template keygroup programs. In the Q-Link Program section i set instead of a cutoff a lowpass filter on the q-links.

Maybe akai brings a software update and integrate really flexibel Q-Links. Then i am happy. :)

Man, stop complaining and just get used to it. It's fast. And then you can assign anything to a qlink, fx, lfo and so on.
Mpc is like this. It takes a bit to understand but once you get it, its fast and funy.
Or you realize its not your workflow and just sell it.
Anway its a good habit to read the manual when you buy a product
Bymember04959388 Wed Jan 30, 2019 1:19 pm
BKmpclive wrote:Even in project mode the function only is PAD NOT Whole program....I think this is what is meant?

You put a filter on the program insert and assign it to a qlink.
Come on.
Before complaining, learn the basics.
Then you can complain for serious issues.
Bymember04959388 Wed Jan 30, 2019 7:25 pm
BKmpclive wrote:You missed the point...and who is complaining? It's an observation, why waste an insert on something that could be implemented and available on all programs? I don't get it? seems reasonable to me?

Ok as you wish.
what's the problem in putting a filter as an insert?
It works like this. And it works fine and the filters are good.
I was just suggesting to use your Live as it is, it sounds good.
Then sorry, if you need to make this request I don't go against you but just I wanted to highlight that there is a way to do what you need and it works fine
By surfhai Sun Feb 03, 2019 7:03 am
BKmpclive wrote:The man makes a good point, it aint complaining, I wondered why the function was not there as well. It's a logical creative step that could and should be done as well on the program level when using Qlinks. It's a good point!!

BKmpclive wrote:Even in project mode the function only is PAD NOT Whole program....I think this is what is meant?

:worthy: Thank you BKmpclive, you know what i´m talking about. :-D

If you are happy with the Essential Programs or use your samples like they are, then you do not need this function. But If you often change the instrument and you want fast and easy manipulate the sound, then it is very annoying to have to repeat the same procedure every time, insert a effect into a track and put them to the q-link. ......
And this function that I mean is not possible, even if I read the manual 100 times. :wink:

I phoned the German Akai MPC Support and the man on the other side understood immediately what I mean. During the conversation, we also found a solution, but he came to the solution himself. There should be a possibility to create a global q-link section which is static and will not get lost when keygroups are changed and so on. AKAI do not have to reinvent the MPC, the programmers simply have to add this function to the existing one. It´s only a computer inside the case. The „old“ users can work as before and the „new“ users can work as usual. All are happy. :-D
I think it also depends on what kind of music you make, whether you need this option or not. Over the years, for me the MPC stood for HipHop. But because of the new concept, touchdisplay, autosampler, internal synthesizer …. , the mpc became interesting for me. If you make Gospel you don´t need this feature that i mean, if you make HipHop maybe you need this feature, if you make House/ Frenchhouse / Techhouse like me, it does not work without this feature, if you want make music fast and direct and that is the point.
Remember, with the new features, not only the MPC has evolved, it is now also addressed to a new usergroup. I think it is not helpful to stand up and tell them: learn the basics, that's the way it is, it work like this, take it or leave. That kind of thinking is „forward into the past“. I also do not complain, I do not want to rewrite the entire MPC concept. I would like to try to make this great product even better. Not without a reason, the competitor pioneer has put four big buttons on the top of the toraiz sp-16 and written fat „Dave Smith Filter“ next to it, if nobody would use them :wink: And I throw no 1000 euro out of the window, if I was not convinced of the mpc-live and the potential. This is just a small point a little feature, and I think there would be improve the MPC-Live. I am firmly convinced that sooner or later even more „new“ users will be facing the same problem as me. Yes it is another workflow and I am absolutely convinced that if akai makes my wish come true, you will wonder why it has not always been like that. How much time you have given away to do the same thing over and over again, for the same result, for example: put a filter in the insert ... and so on. It could be a lot easier. I was not born with my kind of workflow. My workflow was characterized by the construction of nearly every hard- and software synthesizer and sampler i used in my live. And i think every user of the mpc-live, who comes from this direction, will sit completely perplexed in front of his mpc-live and can not believe, that this (in my opinion) normal basics are not possible, fast and direct, with the MPC-Live at this moment. But that's not bad, that's why I'm here and try to give an inspiration, just think about it. To open your and my mind. As I said, I do not complain, I see it as an improvement for ALL user. :-D

EDIT:

I do not know if all readers of this post can really understand what I am talking about. Therefore a small task.
Power on your mpc-live. Choose the empty Akai Standart Project. Try to produce a Frenchdiscohouse song with the help of the included sound library´s and essential instruments. I mean a really FHD-Song, with all the filter up and down´s and so on.

After 2 - 3 hours of work, please come back here and start reading again. I am very excited to your opinion.

And if you think, this is a good idea and a useful feature, write a e-mail to the AKAI Support. Only then will something change. Because the support collects all requests and give them to the developers, according to their priority :wink:
Bymember04959388 Sun Feb 03, 2019 6:53 pm
surfhai wrote:
BKmpclive wrote:The man makes a good point, it aint complaining, I wondered why the function was not there as well. It's a logical creative step that could and should be done as well on the program level when using Qlinks. It's a good point!!

:worthy: Thank you BKmpclive, you know what i´m talking about. :-D

If you are happy with the Essential Programs or use your samples like they are, then you do not need this function. But If you often change the instrument and you want fast and easy manipulate the sound, then it is very annoying to have to repeat the same procedure every time, insert a effect into a track and put them to the q-link. ......
And this function that I mean is not possible, even if I read the manual 100 times. :wink:

I phoned the German Akai MPC Support and the man on the other side understood immediately what I mean. During the conversation, we also found a solution, but he came to the solution himself. There should be a possibility to create a global q-link section which is static and will not get lost when keygroups are changed and so on. AKAI do not have to reinvent the MPC, the programmers simply have to add this function to the existing one. It´s only a computer inside the case. The „old“ users can work as before and the „new“ users can work as usual. All are happy. :-D
I think it also depends on what kind of music you make, whether you need this option or not. Over the years, for me the MPC stood for HipHop. But because of the new concept, touchdisplay, autosampler, internal synthesizer …. , the mpc became interesting for me. If you make Gospel you don´t need this feature that i mean, if you make HipHop maybe you need this feature, if you make House/ Frenchhouse / Techhouse like me, it does not work without this feature, if you want make music fast and direct and that is the point.
Remember, with the new features, not only the MPC has evolved, it is now also addressed to a new usergroup. I think it is not helpful to stand up and tell them: learn the basics, that's the way it is, it work like this, take it or leave. That kind of thinking is „forward into the past“. I also do not complain, I do not want to rewrite the entire MPC concept. I would like to try to make this great product even better. Not without a reason, the competitor pioneer has put four big buttons on the top of the toraiz sp-16 and written fat „Dave Smith Filter“ next to it, if nobody would use them :wink: And I throw no 1000 euro out of the window, if I was not convinced of the mpc-live and the potential. This is just a small point a little feature, and I think there would be improve the MPC-Live. I am firmly convinced that sooner or later even more „new“ users will be facing the same problem as me. Yes it is another workflow and I am absolutely convinced that if akai makes my wish come true, you will wonder why it has not always been like that. How much time you have given away to do the same thing over and over again, for the same result, for example: put a filter in the insert ... and so on. It could be a lot easier. I was not born with my kind of workflow. My workflow was characterized by the construction of nearly every hard- and software synthesizer and sampler i used in my live. And i think every user of the mpc-live, who comes from this direction, will sit completely perplexed in front of his mpc-live and can not believe, that this (in my opinion) normal basics are not possible, fast and direct, with the MPC-Live at this moment. But that's not bad, that's why I'm here and try to give an inspiration, just think about it. To open your and my mind. As I said, I do not complain, I see it as an improvement for ALL user. :-D

EDIT:

I do not know if all readers of this post can really understand what I am talking about. Therefore a small task.
Power on your mpc-live. Choose the empty Akai Standart Project. Try to produce a Frenchdiscohouse song with the help of the included sound library´s and essential instruments. I mean a really FHD-Song, with all the filter up and down´s and so on.

After 2 - 3 hours of work, please come back here and start reading again. I am very excited to your opinion.

And if you think, this is a good idea and a useful feature, write a e-mail to the AKAI Support. Only then will something change. Because the support collects all requests and give them to the developers, according to their priority :wink:

My friend it's now more then a year I make music and perform live with Mpc Live and I never thought about your issue as an issue.
There are filters everywhere on Mpc, you can use them in program edit, as pad insert, as program insert or even as output inserts.
If there is one thing that just sounds good on Mpc, is the filters.
You have 4 qlinks modes to use, and by the way 2.4 is bringing new filters by Air which are top quality, but also Akai ones are top quality. Everyone would like to have the box of his dreams, I would also like to have more Lfo on program edit, and so on.
But these are minor issues if issues at all.
Being able to launch a sample which lasts more then the sequence length, for example, without a retrigger at sequence start.
And so on.
But I just adapted myself to Mpc workflow and I am fine.