MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By CharlesRandolph Fri Feb 08, 2019 4:34 pm
Frisbi wrote:Man, presets are for lazy people.
Serious people like tweaking and editing to reach the sound they're after.
Complaining about the lack of filters on reverb?
Come on.
I prefer the idea of combining fx to get your own sound.

Some of the biggest records, were made using the cheapest reverb. Personally, I only use convulsion reverb and I record my own Impulse Responses. But at the same time, if needed, I can make a 25 cent reverb sound good.
Last edited by CharlesRandolph on Fri Feb 08, 2019 4:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By Icepulse Fri Feb 08, 2019 4:36 pm
Danoc wrote:
Frisbi wrote:Come on. Put a filter before or after reverb.
Not so complicated

:worthy: I agree.

They never had hp/lp filters on them and Professionals never ever complain about that.

I guess, if you don’t want to use an extra slot...
By CharlesRandolph Fri Feb 08, 2019 4:38 pm
Danoc wrote:And this is one of the reasons why stuff sound the same because they don't tweak, just a lil bit. :WTF: If you're going to be a producer in 2019 and beyond need to tweak and have the respect for yourself and music to tweak and not sound like the next producer. There's nothing wrong with learning and improving, being stagnated is wack and you won't last long. The more you know the more people will use you. I thought I would wear one hat and look at me know, I wear many, and people call on you and pay you. :-D :smoker:

Sometimes, I laugh at the whole process, because I know monster guitarist, who use a reverb off their guitar amp, on hits songs, that people play everyday. :lol: It's all about how you tweak it.

The better vst reverb, do offer more parameters to tweak. That's what we are paying for. With convolution reverb, were paying for Impulse Responses from different places around the world. Castles in Ireland, NASA facilitates and so on.
Bymember04959388 Fri Feb 08, 2019 4:58 pm
CharlesRandolph wrote:
Danoc wrote:And this is one of the reasons why stuff sound the same because they don't tweak, just a lil bit. :WTF: If you're going to be a producer in 2019 and beyond need to tweak and have the respect for yourself and music to tweak and not sound like the next producer. There's nothing wrong with learning and improving, being stagnated is wack and you won't last long. The more you know the more people will use you. I thought I would wear one hat and look at me know, I wear many, and people call on you and pay you. :-D :smoker:

Sometimes, I laugh at the whole process, because I know monster guitarist, who use a reverb off their guitar amp, on hits songs, that people play everyday. :lol: It's all about how you tweak it.

The better vst reverb, do offer more parameters to tweak. That's what we are paying for. With convolution reverb, were paying for Impulse Responses from different places around the world. Castles in Ireland, NASA facilitates and so on.

If you want a good reverb, go hardware.
I tried many many vst reverbs delays, some sound good but I can never obtain what I can obtain with an old Lexicon or a new RV500.
This Air reverbs is at the level of Valhalla or Eventide plugins reverb so its very welcomed but to have a good reverb it needs to be tweaked and chained properly.
By bredal187 Fri Feb 08, 2019 5:01 pm
Frisbi wrote:
bredal187 wrote:The reverbs all lack hp / lp filters which, to me, is kinda big deal

Come on. Put a filter before or after reverb.
Not so complicated

1. Dont want to waste a quarter of my group fx on something that is pretty standard
2. Adding hp / lp after reverb on a group would add it to everything and not just the reverb
3. Has nothing to do with it being complicated, but having to route and add hp / lp is a waste of time and cpu when, again, this is a common reverb feature
By bredal187 Fri Feb 08, 2019 5:04 pm
and 4. Commenting on someones opinion about the opinion is kinda silly. If you feel you dont need the feature then sure, it isnt that big of a deal. I use it a lot, and other people in here might do so as well, so now they have the information.
Bymember04959388 Fri Feb 08, 2019 5:17 pm
bredal187 wrote:and 4. Commenting on someones opinion about the opinion is kinda silly. If you feel you dont need the feature then sure, it isnt that big of a deal. I use it a lot, and other people in here might do so as well, so now they have the information.

Well Reverbs sound better if used as send effects.
I think it is intended this way, to be used in send return and usually when you put a reverb on send, you chain it with something else.
If you don't want to waste slots, make like this, its the best way to deal with reverbs.
By CharlesRandolph Fri Feb 08, 2019 5:31 pm
Frisbi wrote:If you want a good reverb, go hardware. I tried many many vst reverbs delays, some sound good but I can never obtain what I can obtain with an old Lexicon or a new RV500.

This Air reverbs is at the level of Valhalla or Eventide plugins reverb so its very welcomed but to have a good reverb it needs to be tweaked and chained properly.

Want a quality reverb, record in quality live rooms, cool soundings locations, or use convolution reverb with quality recorded Impulse Responses.
Last edited by CharlesRandolph on Fri Feb 08, 2019 6:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By bredal187 Fri Feb 08, 2019 5:57 pm
Frisbi wrote:Well Reverbs sound better if used as send effects.

:hmmm: How you figure :hmmm:
By Lampdog Fri Feb 08, 2019 6:30 pm
Frisbi wrote:Man, presets are for lazy people.

Presets serve diff purposes, one is a starting point, for anybody, n-ee-bod-ee.
Have you ever started from a preset? Go ahead, lie to the forum.

bredal187 wrote:
Frisbi wrote:Well Reverbs sound better if used as send effects.

:hmmm: How you figure :hmmm:

I want to hear that answer as well.
By Mukiw Fri Feb 08, 2019 6:43 pm
The kill eq is great. Using that after a reverb on the bus and it does the job nicely.

As much as I went in on Akai in the other thread for leaving things out of Live/X that have already been added to the Force, these FX are very nice.
Bymember04959388 Fri Feb 08, 2019 6:59 pm
Study the basics guys.
Use the reverb as you like but expect that Air reverb is optimized for send return.
By CharlesRandolph Fri Feb 08, 2019 7:52 pm
Frisbi wrote:Study the basics guys.
Use the reverb as you like but expect that Air reverb is optimized for send return.

The best study for reverb is, to go out into the world and listen to all kinds of spaces. This will improve ones ear, It also helps to understand how our music will sounds in those spaces. It will also help, to understand how to hear these effects.
By Danoc Fri Feb 08, 2019 9:30 pm
:worthy: @CharlesRandolph

"Man, presets are for lazy people.
Serious people like tweaking and editing to reach the sound they're after.
Complaining about the lack of filters on reverb?
Come on.
I prefer the idea of combining fx to get your own sound."

My first time l heard a sound in my head l said l have to male it. Took two days but l did it. I learned and tweak and it sounded better than what l had in my head. There was no turning back from tweaking. I love it.
By Danoc Sat Feb 09, 2019 1:21 am
CharlesRandolph wrote:
Some of the biggest records, were made using the cheapest reverb. Personally, I only use convulsion reverb and I record my own Impulse Responses. But at the same time, if needed, I can make a 25 cent reverb sound good.

Yeah bro l make my own lmpulse Responses also. Not to many people use this method dealing with a Convolution Reverb.