MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By knuppel Sun Oct 14, 2018 1:39 pm
Hello,

I'm working on a footswitch to send midi machine control messages, i can send all supported MMC to the MPC live.
I'd like to send a command for other options, most of all I'd like to start/stop the sampler and the looper.
Is there any way to do this.
Is there a midi implementation list available?
By DeaDeus Fri Oct 19, 2018 8:25 am
knuppel wrote:Hello,

I'm working on a footswitch to send midi machine control messages, i can send all supported MMC to the MPC live.
I'd like to send a command for other options, most of all I'd like to start/stop the sampler and the looper.
Is there any way to do this.
Is there a midi implementation list available?

I've asked this question before. It seems that AKAI is the only company not doing so.
- The common MIDI Machine Control commands are supported - but with some issues as described here:
viewtopic.php?f=48&t=186964 - which affects in a special case the creation of own samples.
By OrionG Sat Sep 14, 2019 4:48 am
Heyyo.
So I have all these working on my morningstar mc6 2 along with the mpclive in standalone:
PLAY: 4 127 127 6 2
STOP: 4 127 127 6 1
RESET: 11 127 0 6 68 6 1 0 0 0 0 0
RECORD: 4 127 127 6 6
DEFERRED PLAY: 4 127 127 6 3

Any chance anyone has figured out the sysex for overdub in stand alone mode?
Same for looper.
One thing to note, in controller mode you can indeed assign midi cc to control the looper but i think we're all here for standalone mode control. :-D
By Scott Righteous Sat Aug 15, 2020 2:10 pm
I know this is an old thread, but I'm wondering if you have successfully used MMC to control the transport of the MPC Live, or just the looper?

I'm interested in controlling the transport using a footswitch to be able to go in and out of record mode for midi recording, but have had no success. I am using a midi solutions footswitch controller which allows for hex programming of sys-ex.
By DeaDeus Sun Aug 16, 2020 3:20 pm
interessting... what footswitch you are using?
Might be useful for my purposes... I am currently not using any MIDI controlling foot switches - would'nt even know how to use it -- still interessted.
By Komatos Records Sun Aug 23, 2020 1:03 am
I know this answer won’t really help your situation since you have an MPC Live but the MPC X has 2 standard ¼” TRS foot switch inputs. I use one of them with my Yamaha FC-5 foot switch from 20 years ago to start/stop playback. There’s a plethora of options for having the foot switches control.
By Lampdog Sun Aug 23, 2020 1:26 am
Komatos Records wrote:.... from 20 years ago to start/stop playback.

Use 1994 ASR-10 bundled default footpedal for start/stop, same.
By Scott Righteous Mon Sep 07, 2020 8:26 pm
I'm using a Midi Solutions Footswitch Contoller
http://midisolutions.com/prodfsw.htm

It's flexible because you can program it, but also complicated because you can program it!
But once you have it set up - it's a single function footswitch that is very small if you don't want to drag a large midi pedal set up on stage.

I've got this working so that it sends record MMC to the Live, however the Live has some details that have derailed my goals of using it as a live midi looper.

1) The MMC for record is 'interpreted' by the MPC as either 'record' or 'overdub' depending on where you are in your loop - and you can't control this like you can with the actual buttons. It's too stoopid to use live.

2) The MPC always switches to overdub mode after the first pass of the loop. You should have the option to turn that off and always replace until you choose to punch out. This is a big one for me.

I understand that 95% of hardware and software automatically switch to overdub, but it's not how tape loops worked, which should be the template for any live looping device. I also understand that the MPC Live was not intended for live midi looping. But live midi looping is a ****-ton of fun. Record midi - loop it, tweak hardware during looping (can't do that with audio loops). It's just so much fun live.

There should be an option to stay in record/replace mode despite hitting the start of a loop. The audio looper lets you do this, so I'm going to experiment with that next.

Anyone who has used tape loops on stage would understand the value of keeping a loop in record/replace mode, because you can play on top of your tracks and jam out a four bar pattern for as long as you want, and when you feel you've nailed a really cool groove, you just punch out. At that point, your last (best) four bars are what will loop for the rest of the song. You make this creative decision 'after' you hear your performance. The current method of automatically switching to overdub is based on making a creative decision 'before' you have started your performance.

Live creative options Is why people pay for expensive Squarp/Cirklon type gear. I might do that.

The manual states that overdub protects you from accidentally recording over a beat, but it doesn't stop you from accidentally doubling up garbage on your track, AND you can't elegantly fix that as you can with record/replace.

If you record into your midi track and that first note is too soft. With record/replace, you just keep playing until you correct that note, and then punch out. Problem solved right away. But since the Live will 'always' switch to overdub - the feature of 'record/replace' really only applies to 95% of your track - there is nobody who can switch from overdub to replace mode fast enough to replace that soft note on the first beat. If you screw up your first note - you have to stop your performance and wipe the track and start over. Fine in the studio of course, but not for live use. I don't want to undo my whole performance because of one note - I want to keep my flow.

That fact that record/replace only applies to 'most' of your loop makes it a weird arbitrary feature. You 'can' punch in to replace, but just not on that first beat. . . ? really ? am I missing something?

Everything I'm talking about of course is for live performance, not studio, where stopping, deleting, and undoing is fine.

The option to turn off overdub would make the MPC a much more fun midi looper.
By Scott Righteous Mon Sep 07, 2020 8:38 pm
Just tested - I was wrong to think that the audio looper in the MPC allowed you to continuously record/replace, it doesn't.
Also, when in replace mode, you are hearing the previous layer, it's essentially overdub, which is not what I would want to use live.

For tape loop style audio looping, the Electrix Repeater is still my first choice.
By DeaDeus Wed Sep 09, 2020 5:07 pm
hausa buga wrote:I just picked up one of these; https://bastl-instruments.com/instruments/midilooper

Great for looping and highly recommend this. i'm using with my MPC X

HB

I've checked it out - saw all the videos. Nice tool, but I think I can do all this with thr MPCX - except of the constant MIDI clock. As far as I saw it, has the MidiLooper also no constant clock output. That's what I miss in the MPCX - come to it, I will buy a separate clock- unfortunately another gadget I need to take care of....
EDIT: the Multiclock of E-RM is with 500€ still no bargain... for a multiclock, I mean

The MPCX can even take care of 4 external MIDI instruments - recorded at the same time, plus the internal instruments.
By Goodwinmcd Tue Oct 27, 2020 4:21 pm
OrionG wrote:Heyyo.
So I have all these working on my morningstar mc6 2 along with the mpclive in standalone:
PLAY: 4 127 127 6 2
STOP: 4 127 127 6 1
RESET: 11 127 0 6 68 6 1 0 0 0 0 0
RECORD: 4 127 127 6 6
DEFERRED PLAY: 4 127 127 6 3

Any chance anyone has figured out the sysex for overdub in stand alone mode?
Same for looper.
One thing to note, in controller mode you can indeed assign midi cc to control the looper but i think we're all here for standalone mode control. :-D

I know this is old but this confused me.

Does 4 127 (4F?) Correspond to any standard midi messages? It doesn't look it.... So MPC just created their own Midi implementation?

Trying to integrate a UMI3 foot switch with it but you can only program standard messages (Note on, CC, PC, MMC, etc). Really frustrating.