Forum to discuss all matters relating to the MPC1000 and MPC2500 operating systems created by 'JJ' (all versions).
By Caliber Sat Feb 09, 2019 1:39 am
Alright, this is the first MPC I’ve ever owned. I bought it used from Guitar Center. So I have a couple of questions. It has no software or memory card with it, which I knew that going in. Does it necessarily not have to come with any pre-recorded sounds (I thought they did). Also, in order to do anything at all you have to have a memory card inserted correct? Meaning once I have a memory card in, only then can I load in any sample or sounds?
Thanks
By Lampdog Sat Feb 09, 2019 1:51 am
It is standalone, no pc or other gear needed for it to make songs.

RAM is your workspace while powered on. All samples load into RAM.
Save projects to card, hard drive, some type of media.
RAM gets erased when mpc is powered off.

It’s a blank canvas. YOU make things happen. You should have asked GC what comes with it.

Look into getting one of the jjos os’s. WAY better than akai stock os.
By Caliber Sat Feb 09, 2019 7:54 pm
Would a SanDisk 32GB COMPACT Flash Card be suffice or work? It seems it’s all I can find that doesn’t involve waiting over a week to get it. I read someone say that the MPC only recognizes the 2GB. But if I were to purchase a 2GB Akai Compact Flash from Amazon it would cost me $23 plus S&H. So this SanDisk is $35 at Best Buy. So even if it won’t use all of the memory on the card it still would cost about the same money and I’d get it today.
By Caliber Sun Feb 10, 2019 3:59 pm
After reading several other things within the forum, I’ve determined that 120MB/s (which is the card linked above) might cause problems. So I’m just going to be patient and wait for the Akai 2GB CF card to arrive that I ordered. I don’t want to waste $35 on a card that could potentially cause even more slowness to running the MPC or worse, not even be recognized and not work.
By saltmcgault Sun Feb 10, 2019 6:28 pm
Caliber wrote:After reading several other things within the forum, I’ve determined that 120MB/s (which is the card linked above) might cause problems. So I’m just going to be patient and wait for the Akai 2GB CF card to arrive that I ordered. I don’t want to waste $35 on a card that could potentially cause even more slowness to running the MPC or worse, not even be recognized and not work.

Do it right the 1st time my man.

https://www.amazon.com/Optimal-Shop-Ada ... way&sr=8-5

https://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-128GB-mi ... 357&sr=8-3

Thank me by pumping out some heaters on that thing. As Lampdog was saying just bite the bullet and buy a JJOS. You can install a free version to check it out. Just click on "MPC resources" at the top of the page. :smoker:
By Caliber Sun Feb 10, 2019 8:18 pm
Thanks!

So 120MB/s won’t cause things to lag? Or could it if I use it for the time being with the already installed JJOS 3.14 already on it?

Forgive me for being ignorant here, but
why do you recommend to buy the Type I adapter and the other UHS-1 card w/ adapter as opposed to just using the
SanDisk 32GB w/ 120MB/s one I posted from Best Buy?

I have a lot to learn. I know this MPC is old technology, but the last sampler I had was an EMAX II that quit on me back in 2007. I haven’t had a sampler or made beats since. So I’m not entirely familiar with how the MPC will grab info off the CF card.
By saltmcgault Sun Feb 10, 2019 9:00 pm
Caliber wrote:Thanks!

So 120MB/s won’t cause things to lag? Or could it if I use it for the time being with the already installed JJOS 3.14 already on it?

Forgive me for being ignorant here, but
why do you recommend to buy the Type I adapter and the other UHS-1 card w/ adapter as opposed to just using the
SanDisk 32GB w/ 120MB/s one I posted from Best Buy?

I have a lot to learn. I know this MPC is old technology, but the last sampler I had was an EMAX II that quit on me back in 2007. I haven’t had a sampler or made beats since. So I’m not entirely familiar with how the MPC will grab info off the CF card.

Those are the ones i use for my 2500. I have 2 of them and they work great. Thats also the micro sd card Iuse for my hd but with a different adapter. i can send you the link for that adapter as well.
By Caliber Sun Feb 10, 2019 9:03 pm
So I would buy both....the first 2 links you sent is my best bet?

I already bought the 32GB SanDisk from Best Buy yesterday. But I’ve hesitated on opening it until I found out some more answers. So that’s why I’m inquiring yet still.
By saltmcgault Sun Feb 10, 2019 9:47 pm
Caliber wrote:So I would buy both....the first 2 links you sent is my best bet?

I already bought the 32GB SanDisk from Best Buy yesterday. But I’ve hesitated on opening it until I found out some more answers. So that’s why I’m inquiring yet still.

If i were you i would order 1 or 2 of the sd/cf adapters and return the 32gb card. Compare prices on the 128gb card and go with the cheapest route.
By saltmcgault Sun Feb 10, 2019 10:08 pm
https://www.ebay.com/itm/SD-SDHC-SDXC-M ... 2079393302

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GmDFOp7nU90

If you decided to go with the 128gb sd or micro sd. Look into this as well. This is what i’m working with and it’s nice. Just remember to name tracks, programs, sequences and samples and save your projects in named folders. Otherwise you’ll have all kinds of data scattered in the wind.
Take my word for it. Don’t learn the hard way.
By Caliber Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:31 pm
saltmcgault wrote:
If i were you i would order 1 or 2 of the sd/cf adapters and return the 32gb card. Compare prices on the 128gb card and go with the cheapest route.

Good deal. I’ll do some looking. Thanks for all your help.
By Lampdog Mon Feb 11, 2019 4:38 pm
Caliber wrote:So I’m not entirely familiar with how the MPC will grab info off the CF card.

Think of the CF as a floppy. Read/Write storage only. No streaming.

USB is for data transfer only, no audio, no streaming. MPC will show up usb on your computer same as an external hard drive would.
By Caliber Fri Feb 22, 2019 12:01 am
Alright, I got my compact flash card and when I inserted the card I pressed mode and then Pad 2. Then I pressed F3 it goes to a screen that says:

Access to: Memory Card
For Mac OS, please eject the mounted disk on your Mac, before you leave this page.
Well, I don’t have a Mac and I don’t have the MPC hooked up any computer either. Lol.

On a side note when I pressed Pad 2, the screen to load the memory card shows Card Free= 0.0MB.

I’m a t a loss.