Akai Force Forum: Everything relating to the Akai Force, the new 64 pad, clip-based standalone sampler/groovebox from Akai. While not an MPC, it shares many similar software features to the MPC X/MPC Live including the same underlying code-base.
By CharlesRandolph Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:26 pm
Cockdiesel wrote:I see both your points of view and can relate. The live still feels like a better writing tool for me. It's just so quick for me to rough out ideas. I am really hoping that the integration between the mpc and force is expanded on. Id really like to be able to get some good ideas started wherever with the live, and expand on those ideas with the force.

I have a hard time taking tracks all the way with just using the live and then exporting to ableton. I tend to get way too distracted with fleshing out the track more. Hopefully now I can get a track set up in force and finish the track with everything planned out and organized better.

Also agree the force doesn't seem to have the same magic for just pounding out rhythms, BUT it has that same type of magic for me with melodies and keyboard stuff. I know the MPC can do it but its really cluncky compared to have more than a 61 note keyboard with all the progressions and other functions right there with pads that seemed way more intended to complement the keyboard controlling aspect. Seriously wasnt expecting how expressive and streamlined the pads on the force are. I was expecting APC buttons with maybe velocity.

The biggest differance I see with sampling is that with the live I can use the MPC software to make keygroups with my hardware and be able to record it on my soundcard, which is better than the one on the live. I am able to use plugins to help this process out. Like helping with the really low output of one of my synths. Although the new air effects make this easier in standalone. The keygroups i've been making with a computer sound alot better and I can edit them better if I wanted to.

The force seems limited to just being able to make groups with it's inputs and only on the machine. How it will work with ableton integration is anyone's guess. If the force gets integration with mpc software, it will be the same. I will agree that these machines, live and force, need better sampling options. Right now for me to make my keygroups perfect id have to transfer them over to another program. I can do that now, but have just been trying to catalog alot of the presents on the hardware synths I have. Although I may never just set them in stone. Having 100's of patchs is almost endless possibilities, especially if they enhance the sampling or maybe even just let us load them into a plugin like hype. Hype is far superior to the other three in my book, btw.

I was considering helping a friend out because he's a MPC head, and I can tell he is jealous of the live I have. He doesn't have much money and a big family he supports. He still rocks his older MPC, but I know the live is perfect for his situation and could take his stuff to the next level. I'm pretty sure besides the stuff we have done together none of his beats ever made it off his MPC.

I have alot of time to dedicate to figuring out this stuff starting today, so I am sure my opinions and thoughts might change some on all this.

Have you connected the force and live together via MIDI? Then use the live to sequence the force in clip mode.
By Cockdiesel Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:11 pm
I've been focusing on the differances of the machines, like if both are needed etc. Ideally thats the combo I would use. Say make some stuff on the live, use both of them together to really flesh out the track and then export to ableton for my mixing all nice and organized. However, figuring out how to integrate things will be an evolving procress. Like how will drum tracks/keygroups export to ableton? Can I do still write anywhere with the live and just load that into the force?

I will try what you are talking about later tonight, after I get more keygroups done. I see what your getting at but I imagine that they will have a solution for the song mode on the force within an update or two. right now you would have to either track out the force or do what you're talking about and resample it down to single clip and export. Akai will have to have an update out soon for the force otherwise people are going to get really mad that they can't get their tracks off the machine without goofy workarounds.

what is funny as I am writing this someone from Akai reached out to me to make sure I did the 3.0.1 update and asking if I had any questions about the Force.....
Never had that happen before and really shows they might be trying to make efforts in customer relations.

EDIT: He responded with in minute or two with "they are waiting on ableton's next update" and that they typically update the software quarterly. wasn't there just an ableton update ? so max maybe 3 months?? thats kind of asking alot of customers to wait...
Last edited by Cockdiesel on Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By Cockdiesel Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:12 pm
@kaydigi
you would need to figure out the midi mapping of the clip launching and it's totally doable. I plan on checking this out in a few hours here. Might not be possible if they are not set up for midi. then I would only be able to play the drum, keygroups, and midi tracks.
By CharlesRandolph Tue Feb 12, 2019 1:35 am
kaydigi wrote:
CharlesRandolph wrote:Have you connected the force and live together via MIDI? Then use the live to sequence the force in clip mode.

How would this work? The Live sequencer would trigger the force's clips?

I figure the live could record the clip changes via MIDI. Basically using the LIVE or any MPC as the sequencer for the Force. Using the force as a MIDI sound module and at the same time using the Force to tweak sounds live.
By starcadian Tue Feb 12, 2019 2:19 am
Has anyone messed with the Hype Synth yet? Seems to be pretty extensive, though I can't get aftertouch and modulation to work through the Setup page. Specifically aftertouch. Anyone had luck with that?

(PS: It'd be reeeeal nice if you could route specific MIDI channels to specific tracks, not sure if that's possible yet, I haven't found anything.)
By eclipxe Tue Feb 12, 2019 2:28 am
To answer your question about how drum groups and keygroups export to Ableton...they won’t. You just get exported rendered clips and your scenes. It’s not a two way thing. You export to ALS and that’s it. You can control your Ableton set with the force but you can’t edit the tracks in detail anymore.
By Cockdiesel Tue Feb 12, 2019 2:47 am
Not finding any way to trigger clips from midi right now... they have alot of work to do. it seems when slaved it can mess with the pitching on warped samples, even if it is set to the right tempo. Not sure how to edit midi on the force at all. when you hit record on the mpc, it also records your sequence on the force. at one point I had my sequence triggering every drum and keygroup track at the same time.

not sure what happened, but I will have to revisit this later. alot of people complain about the the live and not getting multitimbral yet support, there is going to be a ton more when people try connect the mpc and force up together. the force is even less configurable than the live.

Im fine with that eclipse, although I may ask how you know. As long as I can have everything organized and it doesn't interfere with my 8 audiotracks im fine with it. even if I have to use my 8 audio tracks for my drum stems so i make a better bus on ableton, I would think I should be good unless there is a limit of exporting the keygroup and audio tracks together.
By eclipxe Tue Feb 12, 2019 5:58 am
Cockdiesel wrote:Not finding any way to trigger clips from midi right now... they have alot of work to do. it seems when slaved it can mess with the pitching on warped samples, even if it is set to the right tempo. Not sure how to edit midi on the force at all. when you hit record on the mpc, it also records your sequence on the force. at one point I had my sequence triggering every drum and keygroup track at the same time.

not sure what happened, but I will have to revisit this later. alot of people complain about the the live and not getting multitimbral yet support, there is going to be a ton more when people try connect the mpc and force up together. the force is even less configurable than the live.

Im fine with that eclipse, although I may ask how you know. As long as I can have everything organized and it doesn't interfere with my 8 audiotracks im fine with it. even if I have to use my 8 audio tracks for my drum stems so i make a better bus on ableton, I would think I should be good unless there is a limit of exporting the keygroup and audio tracks together.

Not sure what you mean with messing with your 8 audio tracks? Once you save to ALS the project has nothing to do with your Force project - its basically an export. No limit of exporting keygroup and audio tracks together. I know this because I've implemented Ableton Live Set Export before. See: https://ableton.github.io/export/

Also, if you look at the end of Masada's force video, you can see his exported session and the clips.
By SQUARTZ Tue Feb 12, 2019 6:16 am
So I got the Force and the next day my Sweetwater rep emails me to update the Firmware.

I can't figure out how to update the firmware.

I download the updater, put it on a thumbdrive (which I assume is properly formatted), put it into the Force, go into update mode and... nothing.

There is no good info that I've found online about updating the firmware.

https://www.akaipro.com/amfile/file/dow ... duct/7147/

this page has a link to a knowledge base article that just links to the Force page.

Can anyone help me out?
By J-Fly Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:09 am
SQUARTZ wrote:So I got the Force and the next day my Sweetwater rep emails me to update the Firmware.

I can't figure out how to update the firmware.

I download the updater, put it on a thumbdrive (which I assume is properly formatted), put it into the Force, go into update mode and... nothing.

There is no good info that I've found online about updating the firmware.

https://www.akaipro.com/amfile/file/dow ... duct/7147/

this page has a link to a knowledge base article that just links to the Force page.

Can anyone help me out?

I updated the firmware via flash drive. Just pop it in and go to settings to see the info page. Hold shift and the update button will appear on lower right side of the screen

By SQUARTZ Thu Feb 14, 2019 9:49 pm
Well damn...

Because I own a Mac, I downloaded the Mac file even though I was trying to update via USB.

All sorted now. Thanks for the replies.
By Wormhelmet Fri Feb 15, 2019 3:33 am
Do they have an Arranger mode and can you record your clip launch live performance directly to the Arranger mode like Ableton Live has implemented for many years and is one of the key features people love about a Ableton Live? If not, any news on when that will happen?
By kaydigi Fri Feb 15, 2019 9:47 am
Wormhelmet wrote:Do they have an Arranger mode and can you record your clip launch live performance directly to the Arranger mode like Ableton Live has implemented for many years and is one of the key features people love about a Ableton Live? If not, any news on when that will happen?

No arranger mode, they said it’s coming. Right now you can export set to ableton and finish the project from there.

Someone also mentioned you can export your scenes Wavs. Or something like that.