MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By stevebol Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:02 am
I'm probably going to be getting a used MPC LIve. Guitar Center has a bunch used and they say 'this product does not include software'.
Could that be a problem?

Thanks,
Steve
By MPC-Tutor Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:10 am
'In theory'.... create an account at akaipro.com, register the hardware serial and you should then be presented with a software activation code and download links for the software. With it being second hand it is likely to have been registered previously, but I seem to remember seeing a post where Akai confirmed that this would no longer be a problem (before iLok they had to de-register s/h MPCs first).

However, Guitar Center won't care about any of that, they are just selling you the hardware, so if in doubt, contact Akai support first to confirm.
By J-Fly Thu Feb 14, 2019 6:12 pm
stevebol wrote:Just to be on the safe side I'm going to buy new.

I hope you read this before you buy. I just recently put my MPC Live up for sell. I contacted Akai support and they confirmed that once the hardware is registered by another user that user will receive all included software with no problems. So you should be able to purchase a used MPC Live with no concerns.

Props to Akai and Novation for not taking the Native Instruments route. I'm afraid to sell my Maschine Studio because I don't know what software and upgrades are tied to the hardware that I will lose.
By kaydigi Thu Feb 14, 2019 10:15 pm
J-Fly wrote:
stevebol wrote:Just to be on the safe side I'm going to buy new.

I hope you read this before you buy. I just recently put my MPC Live up for sell. I contacted Akai support and they confirmed that once the hardware is registered by another user that user will receive all included software with no problems. So you should be able to purchase a used MPC Live with no concerns.

Props to Akai and Novation for not taking the Native Instruments route. I'm afraid to sell my Maschine Studio because I don't know what software and upgrades are tied to the hardware that I will lose.

Yep Akai doesn't burn it's customers on the second hand market, i'm really surprised.

As far as your NI crossgrades go, post it on the NI forum the modes will tell you what you can or can't sell. When I sold my Jam NI told me exactly what I had to transfer to the new user.
By Danoc Sat Feb 16, 2019 2:28 am
That's why l never went the Maschine route.
By hiphoppa Sat Feb 16, 2019 2:58 pm
Bought mine from GC used as well. Wish I had read this thread before dumping for the full price of the software. Not that I can afford it but I definitely screwed this one up. For those that follow after this post... do as it says. Kudos to Akai for the hook up on used gear.

It’s been a minute or two since my last post so hope this helps out in the future.

Peace goes out :worthy:
By DJSpaceP Sat Feb 16, 2019 11:48 pm
Just to confirm, I bought mine used (perfect condition, even had the screen protector still on), saving myself $450 in the process, and Akai generously gave me downloads to the full suite of MPC Live software, firmware and content when I created a new account and registered the product.
By AtliVidar Tue Jun 11, 2019 8:56 pm
I bought a used MPC Live and I could register it, allowing me to access the download site, but when I try to register the MPC Live Software it asks for the activation code that came with the MPC live, which I don't have, and there seems to be no other way than to shell out 200EUR for a code. Is this new or did you guys go about this an other way?
By kaydigi Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:49 pm
AtliVidar wrote:I bought a used MPC Live and I could register it, allowing me to access the download site, but when I try to register the MPC Live Software it asks for the activation code that came with the MPC live, which I don't have, and there seems to be no other way than to shell out 200EUR for a code. Is this new or did you guys go about this an other way?

Lob support a phone call.
By MPCWeapon1 Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:21 pm
Once you register the used MPC LIVE under your credentials at Akaipro.com its going to de-register on the original owners end. You will have access to all the software and what not.
By Yorgos Arabatzis Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:45 pm
MPC Software uses iLok to register it to your computer...You have to create an iLok account and download iLok Manager to activate it: https://www.ilok.com/#!license-manager
You have 2 activations available..
AtliVidar wrote:I bought a used MPC Live and I could register it, allowing me to access the download site, but when I try to register the MPC Live Software it asks for the activation code that came with the MPC live, which I don't have, and there seems to be no other way than to shell out 200EUR for a code. Is this new or did you guys go about this an other way?
By Ill-Green Thu Jun 13, 2019 2:31 pm
It was easy for me to transfer my registration to the buyer when I sold my Live in January. I just went to my account, deleted my info and entered the buyer's name and email, sent him a new password and he was able to get his setup running in no time.

On the other hand, I was strictly standalone with it, so I never got involved with iLock or activated the software. I live life on the wild side.
By Weepwow Tue Aug 02, 2022 1:26 am
Just got a used Live 2, registered on Akai easy as pie.