Post your views and questions about the Akai MPC2500
By PillsInfinity Fri Feb 15, 2019 12:30 am
my jog wheel has been acting for the past couple days to the point it becomes non functional.

i sprayed it with deoxit then waited a couple hours multiple times then it started working again then as i'm operating after 10-20 minutes or so then it stops functioning completely.

i've had this happen to me before but then it worked normally for months.

i have an f6 tact switch i have yet to replace even though i have the tools for it (i've just been operating with a pedal for now), i don't know if its thats affecting it or not.

is it worth it to replace the jog wheel right away, deal with the tact switch first , keep using deoxit and praying to lord finesse or are there any other methods/probable cause for dealing with/assessing this issue?
By DaCrane Fri Feb 15, 2019 3:56 am
A free fix might be opening it up and seeing if the solder joints are cracked, if so try re-flowing the solder. If it is still bad you more than likely need to replace the encoder or buy the new board with the standard (shaft) encoder in it. Also make sure the pin connectors are seated properly. At least while you have it open you can get that F6 fixed.
By big ted Fri Feb 15, 2019 1:57 pm
yea seems the 2500 wheel is pretty janky, I was having a problem with mine....so I bit the bullet and bought this..
https://www.mpcstuff.com/mpc-2500-right ... pcb-board/
pretty easy to install and no soldering required. been working pretty well so far...

heres a thread i started on it with some feedback about said board.
viewtopic.php?f=21&t=187244
By PillsInfinity Sat Feb 16, 2019 8:27 pm
DaCrane wrote:A free fix might be opening it up and seeing if the solder joints are cracked, if so try re-flowing the solder. If it is still bad you more than likely need to replace the encoder or buy the new board with the standard (shaft) encoder in it. Also make sure the pin connectors are seated properly. At least while you have it open you can get that F6 fixed.

big ted wrote:yea seems the 2500 wheel is pretty janky, I was having a problem with mine....so I bit the bullet and bought this..
https://www.mpcstuff.com/mpc-2500-right ... pcb-board/
pretty easy to install and no soldering required. been working pretty well so far...

heres a thread i started on it with some feedback about said board.
viewtopic.php?f=21&t=187244

thanks for all the info so far guys but do you think also my mpc could potentially also be overheating to any extent? i noticed that i accidentally left it on yesterday and it was working and when i woke up the same thing happened again,
By saltmcgault Sat Feb 16, 2019 8:46 pm
PillsInfinity wrote:thanks for all the info so far guys but do you think also my mpc could potentially also be overheating to any extent? i noticed that i accidentally left it on yesterday and it was working and when i woke up the same thing happened again,

i’ve had my 2500 since 07 and i’ve left it on overnight numerous times and it’s never over heated. My jog wheel would randomly work and not work while turning it. it’s days were numbered. My mode button was jacked and i’d have to press it hard and more than once to get it to work. Instead of buying the jog wheel component and tactical switch and replacing them, i replaced the pcb board. I think in your case that’s the best route to go. you don’t know what else could **** up in the board. If you do buy a pcb board (you won’t regret it) and you want to keep using the original jog wheel, you will have to buy an adapter piece to make it fit the new pcb board. it’s like $5. Some people like the new style wheels but i didn’t. l’m not sure about your F6 button though. i’ve never ran into that problem... yet.
By PillsInfinity Sun Feb 17, 2019 5:21 pm
saltmcgault wrote:
PillsInfinity wrote:thanks for all the info so far guys but do you think also my mpc could potentially also be overheating to any extent? i noticed that i accidentally left it on yesterday and it was working and when i woke up the same thing happened again,

i’ve had my 2500 since 07 and i’ve left it on overnight numerous times and it’s never over heated. My jog wheel would randomly work and not work while turning it. it’s days were numbered. My mode button was jacked and i’d have to press it hard and more than once to get it to work. Instead of buying the jog wheel component and tactical switch and replacing them, i replaced the pcb board. I think in your case that’s the best route to go. you don’t know what else could **** up in the board. If you do buy a pcb board (you won’t regret it) and you want to keep using the original jog wheel, you will have to buy an adapter piece to make it fit the new pcb board. it’s like $5. Some people like the new style wheels but i didn’t. l’m not sure about your F6 button though. i’ve never ran into that problem... yet.

thanks salty, you really hit the head on the nail with this one; i thought it was caused by me leaving me shit on overnight (which is something an mpc user should in reality probably never do).