Post your views and questions about the Akai MPC2500
By PillsInfinity Fri Feb 08, 2019 5:58 am
I was recording a drum pattern from my mpc to my daw (ableton) today and in ritualistic fashion i recorded all my separate tracks in by timing when i press both record buttons on the DAW and MPC simultaneously. after not being able to correctly time the recording of the kick i just thought to myself is there a way to do this that isn't so stupid and archaic?

I essentially just got in the routine of doing this years back after finally syncing my mpc to ableton to record-in when i press play and or record button on my mpc and realized it cuts the kick and just kind of settled with this and got used to it.

As i was writing this i realized theres probably a way i can export each track from the drum sequence and program simultaneously on the mpc and transfer the files, ha i don't know.

what do you guys do to record each individual track from your MPC into a DAW? I'd like to learn.

I still have the free jjos btw (i always see a new synth to buy and forget all about buy the full version); i'm trying to change my ways.
By Lampdog Fri Feb 08, 2019 1:59 pm
Put 1 bar in front of each MPC sequence. Put a hihat on 01, 02, 03, 04 so you can see the timing in the daw and line up tracks to the hihat timing later. The 1 bar gives the DAW time to sync up. Do this for all mpc sequences.

On DAW and MPC you can always go back and delete the 2bars later.

You don’t HAVE babysit the record button. :lol: :lol:
By PillsInfinity Sat Feb 09, 2019 7:47 am
Lampdog wrote:Put 1 bar in front of each MPC sequence. Put a hihat on 01, 02, 03, 04 so you can see the timing in the daw and line up tracks to the hihat timing later. The 1 bar gives the DAW time to sync up. Do this for all mpc sequences.

On DAW and MPC you can always go back and delete the 2bars later.

You don’t HAVE babysit the record button. :lol: :lol:

Thanks again Lampdog, will definitely try that out.
By PillsInfinity Fri Feb 15, 2019 1:32 am
Lampdog wrote:Yep, lemme know how it works out.

Quick thought: trying this method out right now and thinking couldn't there be a reverse method where the ableton audio rack plays when it gets the signal from the mpc and records the initial count-in kind of like on Dilla's stuff on Fantastic Vol.1?

i don't know; just a thought for now.
By PillsInfinity Sun Feb 17, 2019 8:38 am
Lampdog wrote:Things need time to sync. That millisecond non-sync was driving you crazy before.

i'm using that method again and i love it. I also realized theres no real need to add at that count in hat but i still wonder in general if theres away to increase the sync speed through like some parameter like frame rate/buffer or something like that; that's just how my mind works.

thank you again again though, i truly love you for this and you should know by now a lot of things drive me crazy Lampdog. haha.
By Lampdog Sun Feb 17, 2019 3:46 pm
Glad that worked out for you!

Try different frame rate/buffer sizes, try everything, but remember or save your known good settings before experimenting.

The hihat count in serves realignment view when tracks are recorded in.
No, you don’t “need” it because you can just line up the beginning of each track.

Some people may have a more quiet start of a track or tracks that don’t start on 1. So in order
to line up more difficult tracks maybe the hihat count in would help, that’s why I said it. I figured I’d throw the option out there and when doing it you’d see if you needed it or not.
By PillsInfinity Sun Feb 17, 2019 6:11 pm
Lampdog wrote:Glad that worked out for you!

Try different frame rate/buffer sizes, try everything, but remember or save your known good settings before experimenting.

The hihat count in serves realignment view when tracks are recorded in.
No, you don’t “need” it because you can just line up the beginning of each track.

Some people may have a more quiet start of a track or tracks that don’t start on 1. So in order
to line up more difficult tracks maybe the hihat count in would help, that’s why I said it. I figured I’d throw the option out there and when doing it you’d see if you needed it or not.

yeah dude i definitely understand; it makes a lot of sense. thank you again for providing some more insight.