Akai Force Forum: Everything relating to the Akai Force, the new 64 pad, clip-based standalone sampler/groovebox from Akai. While not an MPC, it shares many similar software features to the MPC X/MPC Live including the same underlying code-base.
By Ray Peckham Mon Feb 25, 2019 11:28 am
My goal was to use Force to trigger synths I have on my Ipad and be able to hear my iPad audio through Force. I got there, but only through much trial and error.

First, I was not able to get the Force to recognize my iPad through a USB connection. If someone knows how, please let us all know. MPC Live can connect to a laptop and transfer midi and audio through it, so I would expect Force to be able to do the same. There is an Andy Mac video for Andertons that shows this working on MPC Live hardware as he samples a VST running on a laptop through only a USB cable.

So I had to use a midi to usb adapter and audio cables to get this to work. Here is a summary. Let me know if I should post more detail.

1) I first connected my iPad using the camera connection kit to a USB to midi adapter, then plugged those Midi cables to the back of the Force. I then used a 3.5mm adapter to 1/4 inch left and right jacks to run the audio out of the iPad to the audio inputs on the Force.

2) I created a midi track on Force. I assigned it to Midi channel 1. This is the track I will I use note mode on the Force to send midi out data to the iPad. Make sure my synth on the iPad is set to receive midi on my USB interface and same channel 1.

3) I created an Audio Track on Force. This will receive/monitor the audio from the iPad.

At this point I struggled to figure out how to hear the ipad output. I could use the midi track on Force to trigger my iPad app, but could not hear it on the Force audio track.

4) On Force, Hit Menu, then Sampler. Set the input source to 1,2, and stereo. TURN ON MONITORING at bottom of screen (button with headphones). Adjust audio levels of your inputs on back of Force. Now exit Sampler.

Thats it. Without turning on Monitor inputs in Sampler, I was not able to hear my iPad outputs on Force. Is there another way to turn monitoring on? I looked on Mixer screen and did not see how.

Now I can be in launch mode or note mode and midi events that I enter/record on the Midi track can be edited fully, and can be heard/recorded on the audio track. Midi clips on the midi track can now be fully edited just like I was using an internal plugin. Exactly what I wanted/expected.

Great, I now can make use of iPad synths without having to auto sample them into the Force. I will try this with my MODX later. I assume it will work just fine.

The major convenience/battle left is to get audio/midi data across to the iPad via USB so I can ditch all the cables and such.

I hope this helps someone.
By eclipxe Mon Feb 25, 2019 3:25 pm
It only transmits midi and audio over usb when in controller/computer mode. Not in standalone.

It will power usb midi devices as a host in standalone, but the iPad/iOS device won’t be a midi client.

I like using the Korg plugkey. It’s the most streamlined way - audio and midi ports with a single lightning cable. The CCK option for usb isn’t going to work.
By djlastword Sat Jul 25, 2020 5:49 pm
Thats it. Without turning on Monitor inputs in Sampler, I was not able to hear my iPad outputs on Force. Is there another way to turn monitoring on? I looked on Mixer screen and did not see how.

I struggled a bit with this as well but found another approach.
1. Go to the track mixer
2. Click Inserts & IO
3. Now on the audio track you want to monitor, tap the icon with the headphones (see image), this enables monitoring for that track.

For monitoring you have three options, on, off and auto. The first two are self-explanatory. The last mode, auto, will enable input monitor if the clip is empty, but disable when the clip is not empty, e.g. after finishing a recording,

Cheers