Discuss the various methods you use in music production, from compressor settings to equipment type.
By JJG Tue Jan 29, 2019 4:27 am
Hey guys so I’ve been making beat with samples right and all of been doing is layering the sample with kicks,snares,hi hats and vocals but I’ve been wanting to take my skills and completely deconstruct a beat because when I listened to other artist and listen to them talk about beats I always hear them talk about bass and chords etc... and I’m having a hard time adding and I always hear artist a whole bunch of instruments on top of that and I’m having hard time comprehending how to add those instruments if you can help that’d be awesome
By Menco Tue Jan 29, 2019 6:17 am
It’s trial and error basically. If you’re working with a sample that hasn’t has that much bass or bass at all, try to add and play a bassline yourself. This is the most common situation in which most dudes add something to their beats. Try to match notes by ear, or try to figure out the key of the sample and work from there.

Same goes for adding other instruments. And it doesn’t always fit the beat. Some samples already have a lot of instrumentation going on, making the beat messy and overproduced when other instruments are added. Learning and knowing when and what to add is also trial and error and a skill you have to achieve.
By JJG Tue Jan 29, 2019 6:25 am
The thing is Lately ive been trying to start from scratch and my sample is just one sound like scretch etc.. and I use it as my lead and then try to add the basics like drums and vocals but I’ve notice some producers add baseline, chords and strings but I still don’t know how to add those
By JJG Tue Jan 29, 2019 7:39 am
A good example of what I’m talking about is Daft Punks something about us they add a bunch of and I just wanna know how they incorporate the bass guitar and at the 1:00 mark they add another sound which sounds like it’s saying wong and is that sound supposed to fill in for a singer or?
By Lampdog Tue Jan 29, 2019 5:38 pm
What machine are you using to create music on?

MPC?

Grab and KIK and SNR, make a beat on trk1.
4 to 8 bars, afterwards copy trk1 to trk2.

On trk1 erase the snare.
On trk2 erase the kick.
Your left with KIK = trk1
Your left with SNR = trk2.

Now add HIHAT on trk 3.
Add your bassline on trk4.
This is the basic of the basic.
By JJG Tue Jan 29, 2019 11:22 pm
Mpc live
And when I add a bassline is there a certain way I add it like do I put it in however I want to or do I make it follow the kick?
By Lampdog Wed Jan 30, 2019 5:25 am
That part is your own creativity,

Your asking how to “play” a bassline. You have to just play.
By JJG Fri Feb 01, 2019 6:58 pm
Guess it’s a matter of finding a good bassline
Thanks guys
By Bezo Thu Feb 14, 2019 8:59 pm
JJG wrote:The thing is Lately ive been trying to start from scratch and my sample is just one sound like scretch etc.. and I use it as my lead and then try to add the basics like drums and vocals but I’ve notice some producers add baseline, chords and strings but I still don’t know how to add those
Sounds to me like you're asking about music theory.

Find a scale & chord chart for piano. Via trial & error, play the scales/chords over your sample and see what sounds good. Once you determine which scale/chords sound good, record bass lines, melodies & harmonies with whatever instruments you like. This is assuming you're recording with VSTs or multi-samples.

It would be a bit more difficult with samples. You can pitch them up & down, but you can't change the character (major, minor, dominant, etc.).
By JJG Tue Feb 19, 2019 10:25 am
All I use is an asr 10 and MPC Live
But I having trouble understanding chords strings and all that stuff like what’s the process the only thing I can do right now is find a dope sound add drums,vocals and bassline but then I see people adding stuff like melodies,chords, and leads
By 6/8 Stanley Thu Feb 21, 2019 4:15 am
If you already play an instrument or two and have at least a rough idea of the basics of music theory and song construction, then I guess I've misunderstood your question, so sorry in advance.

Otherwise, it's not a dumb question but you need to assess your musical goals. Technically it's easy to download or sample the sounds and layer them on the same or different tracks. But those cats adding the chords, strings, melody and leads understand all that stuff because they have some music background. If you want to lay down some grooves like that you need to get some background too. Maybe the easiest and fastest way to do that is get an instrument, say a guitar or keyboard, and find a teacher. Tell the teacher what your goals are and the type of music you want to create, and practice hard. Books are OK but a teacher is faster. And keep making beats on the MPC.
By JJG Sat Feb 23, 2019 10:44 pm
Are melodies and harmonies the rhythm of a sound or are they a new instrument you add? Lol sorry for sounding dumb but I’m fairly new
By Menco Sun Feb 24, 2019 8:48 pm
Not trying to be a dick, but I suggest you to read up about basic music theory first. Otherwise this is going to be a very long thread.
By 6/8 Stanley Mon Feb 25, 2019 7:11 pm
Maybe take some piano lessons. You'll learn the answers to your questions in the first lesson or two. If you don't have a keyboard you need to get one to practice at home. Plenty used ones on ebay for $25 to $100 that would be fine until you're ready for a better keyboard.

With a teacher it's usually better to just learn what they have to teach, and not ask questions unless they say "do you have any questions?". Teacher could be an young aspiring hip hop producer or musical grandma who needs some extra cash, doesn't matter when you're starting out. The basics are same for any genre, classical to grindcore.
By Lampdog Mon Feb 25, 2019 7:29 pm
@6/8 Stanley

Check PM's.