MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By J.O.BEATS Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:12 pm
MPC-Tutor wrote:Here's a tutorial I did on how to make expansions.

http://www.mpc-tutor.com/mpc-software-t ... ion-packs/

A proper MPC expansion is set up to take advantage of the features found in the MPC Software Expansion Browser, such as file grouping, program previews, the pack image etc. It can also include sequences, patterns, even entire projects. It should also come with a proper installer.

But yes, it is ultimately a samplepack, but one that is full of MPC-specific features.

Thanks for the response Tutor!
By kaydigi Wed Jan 31, 2018 3:09 am
Certified Beatz wrote:When i first got the X in August i spent 2 weeks making expansion packs to only here it could load in the X .. im happy small step not bad i created my own artwork easy for when your looking for the right sound

Same here I converted all my kits into expansions while waiting for the Live to drop last year. It was so disappointing to find out the standalone machines couldn’t read them properly.
By Coz Wed Jan 31, 2018 8:03 am
InspectahEX wrote:The touch and live's 5 mode shortcuts on the left side of the main page on the touchscreen need to be customizable and not fixed.

I thought the same within an hour of getting the Live. I’d like more customisation.

There’s a bit of noise on GS about shift + pad to jump between modes. Seems like an obvious workflow enhancement. 8)
By Elektrobolt Sun Feb 11, 2018 3:39 am
MPC-Tutor wrote:A proper MPC expansion is set up to take advantage of the features found in the MPC Software Expansion Browser, such as file grouping, program previews, the pack image etc. It can also include sequences, patterns, even entire projects. It should also come with a proper installer.

But yes, it is ultimately a samplepack, but one that is full of MPC-specific features.

So an expansion pack is a distribution container for multiple MPC specific types? I mean, not the container, but rather the MPC types inside contains the features, is this correct?
By MPC-Tutor Sun Feb 11, 2018 12:07 pm
The expansion itself is just a bog standard folder of sounds, mpc programs and maybe sequences. It might also contain elements to take advantage of the expansion browser features such as program previews, file grouping and pack image, although they're all optional. But essentially it's just another name for a 'themed' samplepack, its no different to any other samplepack in as much as it's just an organised bunch of sounds. The folder is then simply put inside an XPN installer using the provided expansion builder app.

But the 'expansion browser ' in the MPC Software is fairly limited and uninspired IMO. It just seems like it was a feature internally pushed by the marketing department to help boost samplepack sales but the devs haven't really put too much effort into it over the years.
By biggmt Sat Mar 09, 2019 7:02 pm
Expansion packs are cool for the drums.. especially for people who are just starting out..
Everyone is fussing about customization, how much customization do you need, load up a kit or a sample and have at it! Who's worried about artwork when ur making music.. :?
By DJSpaceP Sun Mar 10, 2019 2:56 am
I had several expansion packs dumped into my account when I registered my Live. I personally thought that was a nice bonus, whether I use them or not.

I can understand the annoyance at having all those GB of internal storage chewed up by a bunch of content as a default state, but it's my understanding that you can nuke The Vault 2.0 from internal storage if you don't like it.

EDIT: Oops! Probably shouldn't delete The Vault 2.0 from internal storage. I have seen another thread describing a severe problem introduced by doing this. That's a shame, and seems to be a legit complaint if one has no interest in using the material.

That said, I've found the expansion packs to be useful as shortcuts in establishing basic vibes for songs. Sometimes a drum sequence and kit will be in the ballpark of what I have in mind, especially once I nuke some annoying dated vocal or fx samples (you know which ones I'm talking about) and tweak the kit and MIDI until it's more "me". That basic sequence will then be the foundation upon which I lay down my own bass/synth parts and import my own samples and loops that I've generated with any combination methods including synths or other instruments.

Reason, Ableton, Logic, FL Studio, they all have content expansion formats. I get that one might not like the sounds of some of the expansions (yes, I'll say it, there is certainly some "cheese" there), but having expansions isn't a "bad feature" in and of itself, excepting the inability to remove The Vault from internal storage without breaking things.
By biggmt Sun Mar 10, 2019 9:18 pm
I think if akai focused on giving us a whole bunch of compositions that we can chop up and sample like "frank dukes Kingsway libraries" etc, the expansions would be more understandable.. or if they made a bunch of custom made breaks and drumloops in one expansion for us to chop and use, the content would be much better!
By Danoc Mon Mar 11, 2019 5:13 pm
biggmt wrote:Expansion packs are cool for the drums.. especially for people who are just starting out..
Everyone is fussing about customization, how much customization do you need, load up a kit or a sample and have at it! Who's worried about artwork when ur making music.. :?

:worthy: Noice! :smoker:
By Unreallystic Mon Mar 11, 2019 6:01 pm
I don't understand the disdain people have for them conceptually and frankly.
"Oh no, sounds that other people have access too"
Like people don't all buy some of the exact same VSTs
"Sample or make your own!"
As if that is some hallmark guarantee of quality. As well, not everyone wants to spend their time focused on sound design, and would rather focus on getting what's in their heads down. People don't seem to realize how many musicians who make real money off of this - just use the presets off of whatever gear they have (or maybe with a slight tweak), it doesn't make you better or he pack worse.

With that said, I personally do avoid packs that feel like they spoon feed you loops, I'm all for having melodies already there, but if Pads 9-12 represent some common major/minor chord progression, it can kick rocks.
- Unreall
By Danoc Thu Mar 14, 2019 8:30 pm
ofenomeno wrote:To be honest I'm interesred in that New Jack Expansion but $50 pricetag is trash..

Guess I gotta stop being lazy and sample my own drums from some teddy riley /jimmy jam and Terrt records :wink:

lol hahaaaa ctfu