Talk and share knowledge on rare records, sources of new samples, vinyl, diggin, etc
By Clint Sun Jan 27, 2013 1:20 am
I have merged this thread, there was no need for two current e-digging threads. All posts have been sorted by date order just so you know...
By ChrisB Mon Oct 29, 2018 12:09 am
I’ve been digging since the early 90’s, close to 7000 LP’s and 1500 tapes. While I can see the convenience that attracts some to sampling off the Internet ( not digging) , I personally think it waters down the real artform of beatmaking. There is still a massive amount of undiscovered music out there that is not on the Internet. To me 50% of beatmaking is digging for music that no one else has unearthed, 25% percent sample selection and 25% arrangement and mixing. There has always been a pretty high etiquette amongst the beatmakers I know regarding the usage of samples, if someone found a sick loop, it had their trademark on it. That was the culture back then. . If some one showed me a loop , it was off limits, unless there was a collab. Still to this day, I sample from the highest quality source I can find, and only music that is nowhere to be found on the Internet, not on discogs, not on YouTube, not on popsike. Also, there is definitely a quality difference between an MP3 and a 24 bit file recorded through a clean interface. Ultimately, the culture as I know it, was to actively dig and find music, beatmaking and DJing went hand in hand, if you arnt actively contributing to unearth and rediscover new music, you are not really contributing anything new to the artform of sampling. I hope more “ producers raise the bar and actively contribute to the archeology of beatmaking, which is the foundations. Sitting down in front of youtube is something else all together.
By biggmt Mon Mar 11, 2019 3:40 am
For those that are complaining that E-digging and sharing digg spots is whack.. I feel you! Really do! The whole point of digging/sampling is to find something rare.. BUT... you can give 3 people the same record/sample and it don't mean they will flip it the same, hell one persons might still come out sounding trash!
2. a lot of people don't have the space to collect records.. I wish I did, I would prefer to physically dig and collect, but being that my wife keeps too much of her junk in the attic and the 2 extra bedrooms are for the kids, I have to be a e'digger lol it is what it is.
And I promise you, if the pioneers had this technology today, they would have been doing the same thing back then.. People chopped drums from vinly back then because they HAD too, now you have drumkits galore! Yea the game getting over saturated but if you really love what you do, you wont worry too much about it..
By Parialated Wed Apr 14, 2021 8:23 pm
you can do both tho.... i e-digg for keygroups of legendary synths i cant afford and what not, and i digg through old records to find samples to chop and flip... one doesnt exclude the other... Also back in the day of napster and after that KaZaa i used to enter a year (mostly 1968 till 1980) and downloaded everything that popped, i got a shitload of gems that way...im talking early 2000 till like 2010 that was a viable way to get samples and songs and artists you otherwise might never find.. thats how i did accumulated a lot of material... i still had to put to work in to go through all these albums and mp3's but real cratedigging is ofcourse more fun but each record still costs at least 1 dollar/euro.... now its only cratediggin as the music industry put an end to napster/kazaa like stuff, i wonder if people sample spotify...i wont because i will never respect or use spotify i hate it as a business model and it really screws over artists big time.... Tiktok and spotify are the only 2 apps i will permanently never want and will install and use.. (yeah i see the irony since i downloaded all these albums for free, but ignore that will ya?)
By BDRAKE Sun Aug 21, 2022 10:51 am
:shock: WOW. Just found this topic and was curious. People are VICIOUS here :lol: Respect. Yaw can have it.
By Christov Sun Aug 21, 2022 12:05 pm
Before covid I was strictly vinyl. With the whole lockdown I started sampling whatever I could get my hands on, so also the internet. Although I never, never, would sample drums of anything other than vinyl. But I got a good enough stack of vinyl breaks that that wasn't much of a issue.

Think I'm gonna go for a mix between both now the lockdown has ended. Most of the listeners don't even hear it, let alone give a **** about it... That being said, nothing beats the feeling of actual diggin in a actual record store. Nothing. But then again, during the last two and a half year I've found stuff online that I couldve never found in record stores over here. Not sampling a killer track because I couldn't find it on vinyl doesn't make much sense to me personally, but I definitly respect the old school mentality. Shit, that's how I did it for years.

Online sampling online tho would take alot of fun out of the whole beat making thing.

And no way in hell I'm gonna give advice on where to find samples - online or offline. That's the whole sport man.
By Lampdog Sun Aug 21, 2022 3:36 pm
Sold all my crates in 1990. Haven't had or cared to have a turntable since. Used, cd's, kitchen utensils, dvd's, 1990's KidNepro floppies for ASR-10, games, tv, cartoons, movie soundtracks, internet, etc, anything I could get to make what I wanna make.