MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By jaijai511 Mon Mar 04, 2019 6:30 am
Hello fellow forum members, I'm new to the MPC family and currently waiting on my MPC Live to get in. I was just wondering if the MPC Live converters are really as good as I'm hearing. I hear it adds some good punch to drum samples. I also hear that it has many great effects and filter like the AIR LoFi to add some classic grit. I was just wondering how true this is for the Live because I'm also looking into getting an older model because of the revered sound that they're know for. I'm currently looking into the 2000XL and 1000 currently. PLEASE!!! If you can, help guide my in the right direction to getting that nice 90's Boom Bap Sound with my either MPC Live or a suggested legacy MPC. Thank you all. Peace, Love, and Light to you.
By sinik Mon Mar 04, 2019 8:54 am
converters on the live and the mpc x are top notch. in my experience – they don't really color, add or take anything from the sound. with the new filters, there is plenty of options to go for boom-bap, lo-fi or high-fi. if you want an external device to pimp your sound in a certain way – go for an sp303. it's fun to use with the mpc live. i wouldn't grab second mpc.

also, that boom-bap sound was more about the limitations of the maschine itself, rather than about the converters.
By NearTao Tue Mar 05, 2019 12:31 am
+1

If you're looking for a lofi sound there are tons of ways to add grit and distortion. Super simple way is to get a dictaphone or tape recorder, record samples to tape and then record them back into the MPC. Can sound really dope, and adds some interesting distortion. For me, modern MPCs are great because they don't add much if any color to the signal, but yeah, there are filters in the Mpc Live to change up the sound as well. Really just depends on what sound you are looking for and how much time you want to invest into making it.