Reviews and questions about the entry-level MPC500
By JDSY Tue Mar 12, 2019 12:47 am
Hey,

So I have a old MPC 500 I'm playing around with, it's a lot of fun. But there's a few things. The main volume pot does nothing to change the volume. Also the left output doesn't produce levels and is eminating noise/sound.

Right now I just use a single 1/4 from R-out to a mixer and the drums are loud and clear. If I try to go from the Phones/ or left output I get noise/no sound.

I haven't tested the record in. . .

It didn't come with the 128 mb, so I'm just gonna see what I can do with 16. I already have 96 drum break samples saved to the internal memory, and they're taking up under 2mb so that is good.

You really do have to band on these pads. It's hard to be precise when you have to put so much power per tap.
By JUKE 179r Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:54 am
The MPC500 is a little beast and definitely not a toy.

If you are good with taking the 500 apart, check the circuit board connections for the main volume and left output. The connections might need some soldering back onto the circuit board.
If you plan on increasing RAM memory later, keep in mind you'll need to buy a 256MB RAM stick in order for the MPC500 to have 128MB Max RAM memory. Don't ask me why but that is the way it is.
By tapedeck Wed Mar 13, 2019 4:47 pm
the output and pot problem might be related. replace the pot and see if that doesn't fix both problems.
By Null Sweat Thu Mar 21, 2019 2:31 am
I had about same issue with one I got off ebay. Volume pot not working. I had both channels but it seemed a little bias. Record pot worked. You could only adjust the master level in Mode + Pad 8 (Other) by 6db increments (or whatever it is). I bought a slider & volume pcb off of mpcstuff and it fixed everything. It was a easy install. Something like 3 screws and 3 wire connectors to replace the board. No soldering. https://www.mpcstuff.com/mpc-500-slider ... mbly-used/

My bets would be the volume pot, since it controls the gain on both channels, if you wanted to save some dough and can solder/desolder it yourself.
By DaCrane Sat Apr 06, 2019 3:53 am
tapedeck wrote:the output and pot problem might be related. replace the pot and see if that doesn't fix both problems.

I think what tapedeck said is your problem, and like Juke179r said open it up. The DIY link below is for tact switches but you can still see how to open it up and as Null Sweat said it is a few screws and ribbon connectors to remove the board.

If the board looks like it has already been tinkered with, just buy a new one, but if you can see hairline cracks in the solder as Juke was implying, well just heat those b**ches back up and you should be good to go.

The bottom of the DIY has a "Q" board from an MPC2500, that someone tried to fix the sliders and swap the pots on. If your board looks anything like that, take Null Sweats advice. Replace.

https://hubpages.com/technology/How-to-Replace-Faulty-Tact-Buttons-Switches-on-the-Akai-MPC-500