Forum for all other samplers & synths such as Maschine, MVs, Akai S & Z series, Roland, Korg, OP-1, analog synths etc.
By Unreallystic Thu Mar 14, 2019 12:55 pm
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07F8RVJJK/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
so the above item was a Lightning Deal a week or so ago, I figured it wouldn't hurt to try at the price point.

And I had such a good experience with it, that while I'm not saying grab *this* particular one, but I'd HIGHLY recommend something of this ilk to pair with any mobile MPC setup.

So in short its really just a mic on an USB stick. It's not the most dynamic thing ever (though it is sensitive enough to pick up excess background noise), but where it shines is as a scratch pad. An idea going through your head that you don't want to lose, pronounce it into the stick, then when you sit down, just plug it into the back of the MPC Live, the files are just PCM wave files, so the MPC sees them just fine - one folder deep. Load up the sample, take to Sample Editor and clean it up a little, then lay it down to start a song and replace the various pieces with real sounds.

Similarly, where the fun really hit me last night, I was working on a Jazzy beat, but wanted to add some background chopped up vocals to bring some hip-hop into it. I thought of a few phrases, said them at different ranges (I don't have enough time with this yet to know the perfect distance by heart yet), brought them into the project, did some minor clean up and pad assignment with various insert FXs (I like auto pan, ping pong, and reverb, sue me), and was SUPER happy with the results, in like 3-4 minutes.

Is this work flow unique, absolutely not, but why I am recommending something like this to you guys is 'ease'. there is no microphone that you have to keep with you, there is no cable needed to plug your phone up (and frankly I'd hate to have to menu dive on my phone to find where it saved my VoiceRecorder, and honestly, between my old Note4 and my current S9+ - the SQ on this stick is a little better), its super small, and it just works, turn it on and it starts recording. If I feel more confident in my MPC skills, I might post a session using it.
- Unreall
By CharlesRandolph Thu Mar 14, 2019 3:29 pm
Unreallystic wrote:https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07F8RVJJK/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
so the above item was a Lightning Deal a week or so ago, I figured it wouldn't hurt to try at the price point.

And I had such a good experience with it, that while I'm not saying grab *this* particular one, but I'd HIGHLY recommend something of this ilk to pair with any mobile MPC setup.

So in short its really just a mic on an USB stick. It's not the most dynamic thing ever (though it is sensitive enough to pick up excess background noise), but where it shines is as a scratch pad. An idea going through your head that you don't want to lose, pronounce it into the stick, then when you sit down, just plug it into the back of the MPC Live, the files are just PCM wave files, so the MPC sees them just fine - one folder deep. Load up the sample, take to Sample Editor and clean it up a little, then lay it down to start a song and replace the various pieces with real sounds.

Similarly, where the fun really hit me last night, I was working on a Jazzy beat, but wanted to add some background chopped up vocals to bring some hip-hop into it. I thought of a few phrases, said them at different ranges (I don't have enough time with this yet to know the perfect distance by heart yet), brought them into the project, did some minor clean up and pad assignment with various insert FXs (I like auto pan, ping pong, and reverb, sue me), and was SUPER happy with the results, in like 3-4 minutes.

Is this work flow unique, absolutely not, but why I am recommending something like this to you guys is 'ease'. there is no microphone that you have to keep with you, there is no cable needed to plug your phone up (and frankly I'd hate to have to menu dive on my phone to find where it saved my VoiceRecorder, and honestly, between my old Note4 and my current S9+ - the SQ on this stick is a little better), its super small, and it just works, turn it on and it starts recording. If I feel more confident in my MPC skills, I might post a session using it.
- Unreall

For under 100 dollars, you can purchase a used TASCAM DR-05. That will give you higher quality recording and many more features. An 8GIG usb key is $4 at most and that microphone is 50 cent at most. :) :lol: The issue is you can't monitor what you are recording. So you'll never know if it's distorted or too low of a recording.
Last edited by CharlesRandolph on Thu Mar 14, 2019 3:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By Unreallystic Thu Mar 14, 2019 3:41 pm
Well the things like that (I have a Handy Zoom myself) take up way more space and lack the convenience factor. I'm not going to bring my Handy with me everywhere, but this worked REAL well for packing light. I just threw it into the UDG bag with my MPC Live, and I have instant recording capabilities w/o cables or menu diving or batteries (it has an internal).

shot out to the price to. I didn't do a ton of research, it was a spur of the moment cost, so it wouldn't shock me if there were some even cheaper options available. Just felt it was a tool worth mentioning for the MPC Live (though post got moved heh).
- Unreall
By CharlesRandolph Thu Mar 14, 2019 3:53 pm
Unreallystic wrote:Well the things like that (I have a Handy Zoom myself) take up way more space and lack the convenience factor. I'm not going to bring my Handy with me everywhere, but this worked REAL well for packing light. I just threw it into the UDG bag with my MPC Live, and I have instant recording capabilities w/o cables or menu diving or batteries (it has an internal).

shot out to the price to. I didn't do a ton of research, it was a spur of the moment cost, so it wouldn't shock me if there were some even cheaper options available. Just felt it was a tool worth mentioning for the MPC Live (though post got moved heh).
- Unreall

I get what you're saying, but in this case the quality of that pin head microphone is way below average. Nevertheless the result is what matters. Post an unedited sample of the recording, would love to hear it.