Forum for all other samplers & synths such as Maschine, MVs, Akai S & Z series, Roland, Korg, OP-1, analog synths etc.
By golden-era Tue Mar 19, 2019 11:35 am
I'm nostalgic so to me hearing that Pete Rock uses an MPC and canned his SP is tragic to me haha. But i do get it, i am sure we are even forgetting some of its other limitations which def could annoy some modern beat makers. I recall step edit is strange too.

I really hope the Low Hiss clone comes close he alleges he found the same old filters used and he might even emulate the SP jitter etc..
By CharlesRandolph Tue Mar 19, 2019 12:40 pm
The best thing Pete Rock did was leave the SP behind. It allowed for his sonic signature and dynamics of his music to grow. 8 note Polyphony is not cutting it. A couple of Major 13th chords and it over. :lol: SP1200 is good for the basic, but more advance compositions, it's not cutting it.
By peterpiper Tue Mar 19, 2019 2:25 pm
CharlesRandolph wrote:The best thing Pete Rock did was leave the SP behind. It allowed for his sonic signature and dynamics of his music to grow. 8 note Polyphony is not cutting it. A couple of Major 13th chords and it over. :lol: SP1200 is good for the basic, but more advance compositions, it's not cutting it.

You can double the polyphony by buying two ;)

peace
By golden-era Tue Mar 19, 2019 6:15 pm
I recall RZA saying he made Method Man a quick 1 bar loop on the SP1200 then when he started using Ensoniq stuff he was able to use extra sampling time to start making 4 bar loops and it was mind blowing because up until then heads were making tons of short loops.

I forgot just how many bangers are 1 bar loops. Like cypress hills whole catalog.
By JVC Tue Mar 19, 2019 7:55 pm
peterpiper wrote:
CharlesRandolph wrote:The best thing Pete Rock did was leave the SP behind. It allowed for his sonic signature and dynamics of his music to grow. 8 note Polyphony is not cutting it. A couple of Major 13th chords and it over. :lol: SP1200 is good for the basic, but more advance compositions, it's not cutting it.

You can double the polyphony by buying two ;)

peace

Pete Rock was using Akai S950 with SP-1200.
I guess it is still 8 polyphony max, but he was not only using SP-1200.
By mr_debauch Wed Mar 20, 2019 3:04 am
well his new instrumental album is coming out in a few weeks... not sure if everything is SP (probably not... it wasn't back then and is even less likely to be today)

The Lord finesse albums (beat tapes) were pretty good.

Maybe someone will make some studio 440 albums some time soon.
By golden-era Wed Mar 20, 2019 9:23 am
Finesse a highly highly underrated producer and another SP and S950 combo guy.

I really wonder if the Low Hiss version will be able to achieve the ringing sound with pitching down samples. He posted a new clip of the swing feature which he claims is spot on and since its math it probably is right.
By peterpiper Wed Mar 20, 2019 1:48 pm
CharlesRandolph wrote:I do wonder with all these clones. Can audio will pass through the machine, so it can be used as an effects box?

It should be possible to implement that at least for the original tune/pitch. My Roland S10 sampler can be used that way (. The monitor output is after the input amp AND A/D converter so I can hear it as if it was sampled (unlike the s950 that monitor straight after the amplifier). BUT: most of the artifacts are introduced by tuning/pitching the actual sample. So it's the way the sampler playback the sample at different pitch settings(notes) that will give you the sound. Every note gives different artifacts. It's not like you run a signal thru it, record it into your DAW, pitch it down in Kontakt or whatever VST you wanna use and it will sound the same as if it was played by the machine.
So it's possible in a limited way (as long as someone introduce a knob on the machine that can handle live sampling->pitch->monitor) and even then you're stuck with just one pitch.

peace
By CharlesRandolph Wed Mar 20, 2019 3:00 pm
peterpiper wrote:
It should be possible to implement that at least for the original tune/pitch. My Roland S10 sampler can be used that way (. The monitor output is after the input amp AND A/D converter so I can hear it as if it was sampled (unlike the s950 that monitor straight after the amplifier). BUT: most of the artifacts are introduced by tuning/pitching the actual sample.

So it's the way the sampler playback the sample at different pitch settings(notes) that will give you the sound. Every note gives different artifacts. It's not like you run a signal thru it, record it into your DAW, pitch it down in Kontakt or whatever VST you wanna use and it will sound the same as if it was played by the machine.

So it's possible in a limited way (as long as someone introduce a knob on the machine that can handle live sampling->pitch->monitor, and even then you're stuck with just one pitch.

peace

Being able to use it as an effect box, would be my only interest in an SP 1200 clone. I was never a fan of the clock jitter or the swing of the sequencer. If I play it straight, I want it to play straight. If I swing it with a certain timing. I want it to stay that way.

Being used as a pass through box would be it's only purpose for me.
By peterpiper Wed Mar 20, 2019 3:54 pm
CharlesRandolph wrote:
peterpiper wrote:
It should be possible to implement that at least for the original tune/pitch. My Roland S10 sampler can be used that way (. The monitor output is after the input amp AND A/D converter so I can hear it as if it was sampled (unlike the s950 that monitor straight after the amplifier). BUT: most of the artifacts are introduced by tuning/pitching the actual sample.

So it's the way the sampler playback the sample at different pitch settings(notes) that will give you the sound. Every note gives different artifacts. It's not like you run a signal thru it, record it into your DAW, pitch it down in Kontakt or whatever VST you wanna use and it will sound the same as if it was played by the machine.

So it's possible in a limited way (as long as someone introduce a knob on the machine that can handle live sampling->pitch->monitor, and even then you're stuck with just one pitch.

peace

Being able to use it as an effect box, would be my only interest in an SP 1200 clone. I was never a fan of the clock jitter or the swing of the sequencer. If I play it straight, I want it to play straight. If I swing it with a certain timing. I want it to stay that way.

Being used as a pass through box would be it's only purpose for me.

Well then.....simply do a feature request. Even if LowHiss won't do this there might be a way (if the hardware is capable) that someone else will program this since AFAIK he will make the software open source.

peace
By golden-era Wed Mar 20, 2019 7:19 pm
Is the jitter on SP that severe ? I never noticed it but although some disagree i copied the infamous SP swing on all my Ensoniq gear. Reason i know it was spot on is i used same exact trimmed drum hits on both machines, threw both through a DAW and they caused phasing. So perhaps there is some random jitter but if you step edit you can emulate that swing might just take some effort.
By CharlesRandolph Thu Mar 21, 2019 3:31 am
golden-era wrote:Is the jitter on SP that severe ? I never noticed it but although some disagree i copied the infamous SP swing on all my Ensoniq gear. Reason i know it was spot on is i used same exact trimmed drum hits on both machines, threw both through a DAW and they caused phasing. So perhaps there is some random jitter but if you step edit you can emulate that swing might just take some effort.

Over time is noticeable, if you track out the entire song. However in 1, 2, 4, 8 measure loops, you can't really tell. I'm not much of a looper anymore, because I like different chord progressions, drum phrasing, change in time signatures, and different keys. Also sometimes I go from an Allegretto to Andante and all in between. Which is very hard to achieve with loop based music.