New to the MPC production world? Got a music production question that's not really specific to any particular MPC? Try your luck here and get help from our experienced members.
By peterpiper Thu Mar 28, 2019 1:48 pm
It depends on what you expect and how much time you have. It can open up new ways of making music and it can be fun just to play around with it. But if you're more serious, don't have time and don't see creating music as fun....nope don't buy it.
Well if it's a really good price, try it. If you don't like the workflow you could at least use the pads to play the plugin instruments in your DAW. :)

peace
By quietizkept Thu Mar 28, 2019 4:07 pm
I find fine-tuning arrangements to be more intuitive in a DAW. I should say first that I record my MPC compositions into the DAW. Then, I use the cut tool to "mute" certain parts. MPC can do this another way, by recording track mutes into your sequence internally by hitting pads. Some people love that way, I find it clunky. The MPC has a dedicated arrangement mode called "song mode" which is kinda primitive (it's just a list) but after a couple of weeks, it trained me to see the entire arrangement in my head. So, I set up intro>Chorus x2>Verse x4 etc inside the MPC because it's lightning fast. Then I record that into my DAW, then finally fine-tune the arrangement and mix. It should be stated the MPC mixer is the weakest mixer I've ever seen, with none of the features that make DAWs so great.

THAT SAID

The sequencer in the MPC is legendary. Even with all its quirks, nothing is more conducive to creating compositions for me. The tactile feel is great, which you could emulate with a pad controller, but you'd be losing some of that great MPC workflow. Also, just looking at the bi**h on my desk makes me want to finger bang her. It is primitive versus say, FL Studio (if anybody wants to debate this I don't care. I used both for years & years) but ultimately FL felt like a computer program & the MPC feels like music gear if that makes sense.

SO, IMHO,

You need both.
$.02
peace