By xvw Fri Mar 29, 2019 5:29 am
What's good guys?

very simple question, hoping for some clarification--

(Context)
I'm basically trying to use my xl for drums and track mutes & record
that into my sp404sx

(Question )
It seems that the majority is recommending to use any 2 of the
assignable outs rather than the stereo outs...

going that route, every pad used would have to be assigned via
the XL's (assignable/mono) mixer section, correct?

Is there another way that I'm missing other than assigning each pad
in the mixer or nah? (not that it's difficult or anything)
By xvw Fri Mar 29, 2019 4:36 pm
Lampdog wrote:Use stereo outs.

Appreciate it lamp,

Why would someone use the assignables, so they could split the signal and free up their stereo outs for other gear?
By tapedeck Fri Mar 29, 2019 4:39 pm
yes you only use the assignable outs if you need more than the stereo provides.

the real question is, could you make the same beat using mono? you'd have some more flexibility that way if you made everything you could mono.
By Wal Martian Fri Mar 29, 2019 5:02 pm
xvw wrote:Why would someone use the assignables, so they could split the signal and free up their stereo outs for other gear?

Lots of reasons. Analog mix downs. Send Kick to out 1, snare to out 2, hi hat to out 3 then into a nice mixing desk and record to tape. Listen to Hi Tek and Easy Mo Bee productions you will hear how good it can sound.
By xvw Fri Mar 29, 2019 5:51 pm
tapedeck wrote:yes you only use the assignable outs if you need more than the stereo provides.

Thanks tape! seems simple enough

tapedeck wrote: the real question is, could you make the same beat using mono? you'd have some more flexibility that way if you made everything you could mono

Forsure you’re right, waitup though, is that a challenge? Haha.

If left in mono, you’d still be rocking with the stereo left/right, correct?

I’m usually accustomed to keeping some one shots in stereo (percs, and at times hats and snares)
By xvw Fri Mar 29, 2019 6:02 pm
Wal Martian wrote:
xvw wrote:Why would someone use the assignables, so they could split the signal and free up their stereo outs for other gear?

Lots of reasons. Analog mix downs. Send Kick to out 1, snare to out 2, hi hat to out 3 then into a nice mixing desk and record to tape. Listen to Hi Tek and Easy Mo Bee productions you will hear how good it can sound.

What up Wally can't agree with you more, drums especially sound nice with tape saturation and further processing when not already over processed. I'll have to go back and and listen to Hitek and peep some easy mo (heard he was nice with the sp1200)
Last edited by xvw on Fri Mar 29, 2019 6:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By xvw Fri Mar 29, 2019 6:09 pm
Guess my real question is a matter of setup between my sp404sx and 2kxl:

I basically want to use the 2kxl to sequence out my drums and have track mutes
and be able to monitor my sounds at all times if either piece of gear is off:

2kxl --> audio interface 1-2
2kxl assignable outs 1-2 --> sp 404sx
sp 404 sx --> audio interface 3-4

this is where I would benefit from assignable outs, correct? and this is why people
from previous posts recommend using the assignable outs for this instance, yeah?

my apologies for the redundant question, i've seen posts about this before, just
wasn't enough clarification for me.
By Lampdog Fri Mar 29, 2019 7:22 pm
Your solution above doesn’t even use the indivi outs.

indiv outs is when you wanna seperate pads to outs for whatever reason.

You sp only has 2chnl input. MPC main out to sp input and done. sp can record everything from mpc.
You seem bent on using individ outs when you only have 2chnl input on 404sx. If you want sp to record ALL from mpc then use this.

Now, here’s another idea, mpc indy outs 1+2 go to 404sx input, inside mpc mixer you can manually assign any pad to go to indiv 1+2. 404sx will only record mpc pads that YOU manually set for indiv 1+2.

Remember if your mpc sample is mono you can ONLY choose L, R, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8.

Remember if your mpc sample is stereo you can ONLY choose L+R, 1+2, 3+4, 5+6, 7+8.

@tape, @wal
Please correct if I’m just out of order and thinking wrong today, because, well, I’m human. :lol:
By xvw Sat Mar 30, 2019 3:21 am
Lampdog wrote:Your solution above doesn’t even use the indivi outs.

indiv outs is when you wanna seperate pads to outs for whatever reason.

You sp only has 2chnl input. MPC main out to sp input and done. sp can record everything from mpc.
You seem bent on using individ outs when you only have 2chnl input on 404sx. If you want sp to record ALL from mpc then use this.

Now, here’s another idea, mpc indy outs 1+2 go to 404sx input, inside mpc mixer you can manually assign any pad to go to indiv 1+2. 404sx will only record mpc pads that YOU manually set for indiv 1+2.

Remember if your mpc sample is mono you can ONLY choose L, R, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8.

Remember if your mpc sample is stereo you can ONLY choose L+R, 1+2, 3+4, 5+6, 7+8.

@tape, @wal
Please correct if I’m just out of order and thinking wrong today, because, well, I’m human. :lol:

Lamp thank you always, and of course tape and wally (not in any order, of course). I always have a big big problem with overcomplicating simple things. :mrgreen:

Hella bent, lol. :lol: basically, I inquired about the assignable outs so I could keep the 2kxl with its main outs going to my interface, and the assignable outs say (1-2) would channel every pad being currently used for my groove to be recorded into the SX...

and the SX's outs would go into my interface as well (so I wouldn't have both machines (on) at the same time to monitor the MPC)

that brings me to another point, whenever i'm going via headphones on the mpc, the volume is super low, full level is engaged, and my one-shots are imported averaging at -6 on peaks, is that too low?

either way, i'm picking up the vibe that the stereo outs may be the easiest option rather than routing several pads for that specific purpose, unless a template is created (musicians plug and play all day, making music isn't for those that are lazy)