New to the MPC production world? Got a music production question that's not really specific to any particular MPC? Try your luck here and get help from our experienced members.
By 6/8 Stanley Sun Apr 07, 2019 11:17 pm
By environmental I mean something that's not sampled from a musical work, like birds, traffic noises, musicians tuning up, or a noisy water heater.
Using JJOS128XL v2.01 but I don't think it matters for this so I posted in "getting started".
Using destructive chops because that section comes first in my book "JJOSXL Sampling Bible, so maybe it's easier.

I read several sources today that say the sample should be sliced in a multiple of the beats per bar of the original, like 8, 16, or 32 for a sample in 4/4. Dunno why but I'd guess it has to do with looping or being able to count the beats. Figuring out the water heater's beat would probably crash any beat-detecting software or make Einstein pull his hair out.

Chopped my 3 minute plus sample into 32 and 16 slices, which put slices on all the A bank pads. Nice. But I want this beat in 12/8 (or an even number of 6/8 bars). Do I need to chop the sample into 12, 24, or 36 slices to make 12/8 rhythms with it, or does it even matter ? Not understanding something basic. Googled it but nothing, so probably a non-issue except for beginners.
By Lampdog Mon Apr 08, 2019 1:37 am
I hate that methodology of thinking. Even slices, 8, 16, 32. It’s just following the previous dude jumping off a bridge. Come up with your own methods that fit you and you’ll feel a lot better because it’s something YOU made. imo.
By saltmcgault Mon Apr 08, 2019 1:35 pm
6/8 Stanley wrote:Yeah, last night I was banging out beats with the water heater sounds for a couple hour. In my defense, I was rather ripped.

That's the cool thing about samplers. You can record and use any sounds you want. I'll be waiting to check your joint out in the "your beats & music" section.
By Lampdog Mon Apr 08, 2019 3:07 pm
6/8 Stanley wrote:.....In my defense, I was rather ripped.

That's when the best shit happens though.

A good cold glass of red berry Vodka (straight, no chaser, no mix) and a light IPA behind it and I'm all up in my gear, trying to give it babies and shit.
By quietizkept Mon Apr 08, 2019 5:32 pm
Lampdog wrote: A good cold glass of red berry Vodka (straight, no chaser, no mix) and a light IPA behind it and I'm all up in my gear, trying to give it babies and shit.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I just finger bang mine.
By Ill-Green Tue Apr 16, 2019 4:33 am
Lampdog wrote:I hate that methodology of thinking. Even slices, 8, 16, 32. It’s just following the previous dude jumping off a bridge. Come up with your own methods that fit you and you’ll feel a lot better because it’s something YOU made. imo.

Word, jump off a building into a glass of water instead. Or have a tree fall on you.
By Lampdog Tue Nov 05, 2019 8:45 am
quietizkept wrote:
Lampdog wrote: A good cold glass of red berry Vodka (straight, no chaser, no mix) and a light IPA behind it and I'm all up in my gear, trying to give it babies and shit.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I just finger bang mine.