MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
Bymember04959388 Fri Apr 05, 2019 4:46 pm
I understand Splice can be useful for someone and I appreciate Akai implemented it smoothly so I just say I will skip it and never use it.
I wish Akai consider all the people like me who don't produce HipHop and don't rely on external downloaded clips to make music.
Mpc has a huge potentiality in terms of working with generation of sounds, synthesis, sampling, resampling, and so on.
I would love to see some effort from Akai on that perspective.
The Air synths are a good start for that, especially Electric that I find very useful but we are still on the basic side. But the idea is good.
It looks like Hype, an addition on Force, will come to Mpc and it seems its based on a similar idea, to construct sounds from some sound blocks but I didn't try it yet.
I think that there is still something missing on that horizon. We don't have nice granular effects for example. We cannot use the looper with just a track or a program for example. These things would help us a lot to build our custom sounds and layers and use Mpc as a real electronic inatrument on a live perspective, in a similar way to the modular attitude.
I mean, Mpc has all the potientiality for that but its not exploited this way.
It could be of course, in the way Elektron is making. And Mpc has more power then Elektron.
Anyway 2.3 and 2.4 were a good start for that, I really hope Akai is aware of that.
By Unreallystic Fri Apr 05, 2019 6:36 pm
So the irony of this is that IMO, Akai has catered too much to non-hip-hop beat makers, considering we are where the popularity really comes from. I could dump 75% of the preloaded content simply because its not hip-hop nor even something I can use to transform IN to hip-hop. I don't even need the clips, unless there is some memory minimization that I don't know about that can be achieved this way. I mean honestly, I'm not really sure what else you can expect. Over time I hope they deliver more synth options, and more FX options, but it seems "wrong" to be displeased because a SAMPLER has a feature added to make accessing online samples easier. I mena keeping it a buck, its not like Splice is just hip-hop either...you get out what you put in.
- Unreall
Bymember04959388 Fri Apr 05, 2019 7:03 pm
Unreallystic wrote:So the irony of this is that IMO, Akai has catered too much to non-hip-hop beat makers, considering we are where the popularity really comes from. I could dump 75% of the preloaded content simply because its not hip-hop nor even something I can use to transform IN to hip-hop. I don't even need the clips, unless there is some memory minimization that I don't know about that can be achieved this way. I mean honestly, I'm not really sure what else you can expect. Over time I hope they deliver more synth options, and more FX options, but it seems "wrong" to be displeased because a SAMPLER has a feature added to make accessing online samples easier. I mena keeping it a buck, its not like Splice is just hip-hop either...you get out what you put in.
- Unreall

I am not displeased, i said I understand some people will like Splice and that's ok.
I just say Mpc has a huge potential to become a great generative device and an advanced sampler at the same time.
This would make it a perfect tool to play live, you create your sounds in real time, you sample and resample them, you slice and chop and add effects and so on, all in a really live performance.
Just add some good instrument like Electric but not only piano, maybe a granular synth (if I understood correcrly, Hype on Force is something like that), some good granular fx and better XY, let the looper works also with tracks or programs or at least with the other outputs (so you send some programs to it with 3/4 output for example) and there you go, you have a really powerful device to play as an instrument in a performance.
Ok Splice will attract some producers, and it will make things fast but this attitude doesn't attract me at all.
It's a personal opinion, of course, nothing against this attitude and these producers.
By 40Beatz Fri Apr 05, 2019 8:22 pm
Unreallystic wrote:So the irony of this is that IMO, Akai has catered too much to non-hip-hop beat makers, considering we are where the popularity really comes from. I could dump 75% of the preloaded content simply because its not hip-hop nor even something I can use to transform IN to hip-hop. I don't even need the clips, unless there is some memory minimization that I don't know about that can be achieved this way. I mean honestly, I'm not really sure what else you can expect. Over time I hope they deliver more synth options, and more FX options, but it seems "wrong" to be displeased because a SAMPLER has a feature added to make accessing online samples easier. I mena keeping it a buck, its not like Splice is just hip-hop either...you get out what you put in.
- Unreall

Its All About Dollars & Cents! Akai goal was to Please All Crowds of Beat Makers. Not Just Hip Hop. Non Hip Hop Producers have money in their pockets Too. Tunnel Visioning a Target Crowd is what led to the Disappearance of the Old Akai Products/Following. If I were the CEO, I would focus on all Genres of Music and create a Product for all of them. And make them all compatible with each other!
They Used the MPC X/Live to rope everyone in, now they can branch off and create Other Products for Different Beat Making Styles and Genres!
Bymember04959388 Fri Apr 05, 2019 8:40 pm
40Beatz wrote:
- Unreall

Its All About Dollars & Cents! Akai goal was to Please All Crowds of Beat Makers. Not Just Hip Hop. Non Hip Hop Producers have money in their pockets Too. Tunnel Visioning a Target Crowd is what led to the Disappearance of the Old Akai Products/Following. If I were the CEO, I would focus on all Genres of Music and create a Product for all of them. And make them all compatible with each other!
They Used the MPC X/Live to rope everyone in, now they can branch off and create Other Products for Different Beat Making Styles and Genres!

Well if I were Akai I would develope Force for hiphop and beat making while I would develop Mpc as an advanced live instrument with modes like modules, creative tools and fx and loopers and so on.
But I am not Akai, I am just a poor musician.
By Unreallystic Mon Apr 08, 2019 4:23 pm
40Beatz wrote:Its All About Dollars & Cents! Akai goal was to Please All Crowds of Beat Makers. Not Just Hip Hop. Non Hip Hop Producers have money in their pockets Too. Tunnel Visioning a Target Crowd is what led to the Disappearance of the Old Akai Products/Following. If I were the CEO, I would focus on all Genres of Music and create a Product for all of them. And make them all compatible with each other!

Oh no, I wasn't complaining about it, I get it 1000%, and have no qualms with what was added (though I do think some of the hip-hop elements were shortened because of this). My point was that the hip-hop aspect of the MPC has actually been minimized on the device, and that akai had gone more wide in their view of the hardware and its inclusions.
- Unreall
Bymember04959388 Mon Apr 08, 2019 4:47 pm
Unreallystic wrote:
40Beatz wrote:Its All About Dollars & Cents! Akai goal was to Please All Crowds of Beat Makers. Not Just Hip Hop. Non Hip Hop Producers have money in their pockets Too. Tunnel Visioning a Target Crowd is what led to the Disappearance of the Old Akai Products/Following. If I were the CEO, I would focus on all Genres of Music and create a Product for all of them. And make them all compatible with each other!

Oh no, I wasn't complaining about it, I get it 1000%, and have no qualms with what was added (though I do think some of the hip-hop elements were shortened because of this). My point was that the hip-hop aspect of the MPC has actually been minimized on the device, and that akai had gone more wide in their view of the hardware and its inclusions.
- Unreall

I am not complaining also.
I clearly understand they have to sell the most they can, and this means more money for development.
I am just wishing Akai considers also musicians who don't use downloaded sample but tend to use Mpc as a real electronic live instrument and honestly I wanted to understand if this kind of approach belongs to a minority or not.
By Eyalc Mon Apr 08, 2019 4:55 pm
Frisbi wrote:Well if I were Akai I would develope Force for hiphop and beat making while I would develop Mpc as an advanced live instrument with modes like modules, creative tools and fx and loopers and so on.

You mean opposite? Force is a live tool - tons of buttons for launching clips - exactly what live performers need.
IMO, if you're wanting a live instrument, Force is for you, not the MPC. What the MPC needs is the brains of a 4000 IMO.
Bymember04959388 Mon Apr 08, 2019 6:40 pm
Eyalc wrote:
Frisbi wrote:Well if I were Akai I would develope Force for hiphop and beat making while I would develop Mpc as an advanced live instrument with modes like modules, creative tools and fx and loopers and so on.

You mean opposite? Force is a live tool - tons of buttons for launching clips - exactly what live performers need.
IMO, if you're wanting a live instrument, Force is for you, not the MPC. What the MPC needs is the brains of a 4000 IMO.

Actually I am fine using Mpc in live, and I don't like much clip based live performance.
Arranging in real time different tracks, changing sequence, muting and unmiting, opening effects, sampling and resampling all in real time is more my way of playing an Mpc in a performance.
Force is for an Ableton way of performing, I guess.
Not my taste.
Bymember04959388 Mon Apr 08, 2019 10:45 pm
Eyalc wrote:Yeah I've seen a few people use an MPC live - always fascinating - they can do work. Yeah agree now that I think about it, the Ableton way of performing I think too.

It's very funny to build a project without any recorded note or beats but assigned samples, keygroups and plugins, and then play any tracks with pads or keyboard, recording, switching to the next track, recording and so on. Then you can open effects that you prepared in qlink project mode, muting and unmuting, sampling, resampling and so on.
Now, after 2.4 and 2.5, I can use it this way, I don't hear any glitch when I switch modes as before and all goes fluent.
I just miss a Looper to use with a different output so I could choose which track to loop sending it to that output, some stutter or granular effect and better XY options but for that I route an output to a Kaoss Pad and I'm fine.
I wish Akai gives me more playable instruments also but anyway I can say I am happy with Mpc Live at this point, after a year of difficulties for bugs and missing features.
By Unreallystic Tue Apr 09, 2019 12:26 pm
Eyalc wrote:You mean opposite? Force is a live tool - tons of buttons for launching clips - exactly what live performers need.

As someone with little experience with MPC pre-Live - what's so great about the 4k?
- Unreall
By CharlesRandolph Tue Apr 09, 2019 3:38 pm
The more I research about Splice, the more I see that it caters to the EDM world of music. It's ideal for those who use loop based software like, Ableton, Logic, and Garageband. It also works for those, in television, video games, or anything that needs quick music cues.

We are in era of the remix culture, which thrives from quick, easy sounds. This is why the live instrument market is hurting. That and the fact, that the US public schools systems. have removed traditional music classes.
By 40Beatz Tue Apr 09, 2019 6:11 pm
Unreallystic wrote:
Eyalc wrote:You mean opposite? Force is a live tool - tons of buttons for launching clips - exactly what live performers need.

As someone with little experience with MPC pre-Live - what's so great about the 4k?
- Unreall

The MPC 4000...imho...was ahead of its time. It used the same Sampling Engine as the Z4/Z8's...which were Professional Samplers. 4000 had a lot of Features that previous MPCs didn't have. Which was kinda Overwhelmeing to me back then. Built like a Tank! You can Drop that Sh*t on the Floor and it'll still work like nothing happen lol. Im Afraid to even Bump into my X...lol

https://ipfs.io/ipfs/QmXoypizjW3WknFiJn ... enter.html
By Danoc Wed Apr 10, 2019 12:31 am
I agree with what you said except for the school part.
The politicians have taken out books, funding ,music, sex education, how to properly clean themselves, how to write script etc because they want the children dumb! The school teachings are watered down. This has been going on way before splice.

CharlesRandolph wrote:The more I research about Splice, the more I see that it caters to the EDM world of music. It's ideal for those who use loop based software like, Ableton, Logic, and Garageband. It also works for those, in television, video games, or anything that needs quick music cues.

We are in era of the remix culture, which thrives from quick, easy sounds. This is why the live instrument market is hurting.

That and the fact, that the US public schools systems. have removed traditional music classes.