MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By CharlesRandolph Wed Apr 10, 2019 4:14 am
Danoc wrote:I agree with what you said except for the school part.
The politicians have taken out books, funding ,music, sex education, how to properly clean themselves, how to write script etc because they want the children dumb! The school teachings are watered down. This has been going on way before splice.

My point with school program, is that it was a huge buyer for musical instrument companies. So first losing the school market and now with the move toward remix and loop based music. The landscape has drastically changed.
By Unreallystic Wed Apr 10, 2019 1:03 pm
So as someone who always gets enraged at what they are and aren't doing in schools, for once, that's not really it. There has never been a time where more people have been trying to "make it in music" as its become so easy, the barrier so low, the tools so effective, etc. In reality, THAT is what hass driven this. I've been marinating on this topic for a couple weeks now, like I turned 37 on Sunday, I got dye in my beard, I'm an old head who was a 10 in 92 and 12 in 94. I skipped school to walk through "the cut" to get my copy of Wu-Tang Forever on release day. So I SHOULD want to sample ,yet I hardly ever sample, and I was tryign to figure out why. Yeah I have some bias because of the Bad Boy "clone" song era, but its more than that. Then I started looking at most producers today, especially in hip-hop, and they don't sample much either, its not a dead art by any means, but its presence isn't nearly as strong.

why?

Because its TIME CONSUMING. For me to sample a record, I have to go to the store, buy it, listen to at least like 1/6 of it, then cut out a piece, either leave it whole to homage, or chop it up, to make it mine, I have to go through paperwork, etc. Compare that, well I can just play this progression on a synth pad and get the same effect/purpose. Or I can chop up something that I don't have to go to the store and dive for, that I don't have to fill out paperwork and get agreements on, and knock it out. There is too much music out there to spend a lot of time on "one" track. Not only that, but you have to produce at such a large volume to be competitive, that its easy to scrape the bottom of the barrel.

So that's why stuff like Splice is great, and why people like services like that. Trying to hit, takes a lot of shots, and Splice helps to speed that up.
- Unreall
By CharlesRandolph Wed Apr 10, 2019 2:38 pm
Unreallystic wrote:So as someone who always gets enraged at what they are and aren't doing in schools, for once, that's not really it. There has never been a time where more people have been trying to "make it in music" as its become so easy, the barrier so low, the tools so effective, etc. In reality, THAT is what hass driven this. I've been marinating on this topic for a couple weeks now, like I turned 37 on Sunday, I got dye in my beard, I'm an old head who was a 10 in 92 and 12 in 94. I skipped school to walk through "the cut" to get my copy of Wu-Tang Forever on release day. So I SHOULD want to sample ,yet I hardly ever sample, and I was tryign to figure out why. Yeah I have some bias because of the Bad Boy "clone" song era, but its more than that. Then I started looking at most producers today, especially in hip-hop, and they don't sample much either, its not a dead art by any means, but its presence isn't nearly as strong.

why?

Because its TIME CONSUMING. For me to sample a record, I have to go to the store, buy it, listen to at least like 1/6 of it, then cut out a piece, either leave it whole to homage, or chop it up, to make it mine, I have to go through paperwork, etc. Compare that, well I can just play this progression on a synth pad and get the same effect/purpose. Or I can chop up something that I don't have to go to the store and dive for, that I don't have to fill out paperwork and get agreements on, and knock it out. There is too much music out there to spend a lot of time on "one" track. Not only that, but you have to produce at such a large volume to be competitive, that its easy to scrape the bottom of the barrel.

So that's why stuff like Splice is great, and why people like services like that. Trying to hit, takes a lot of shots, and Splice helps to speed that up.
- Unreall

Lots of hiphop producer don't sample, because they have to give too much or all their publishing. Many companies won't license the music for sync rights, that contain samples. The cost to clear them shot up. Also the lawsuits aren't worth it in the long run.

Splice and other services works well for now, the issues with them that will arise, is how does it effect new instrument sales? How does it effect companies who create original sample sets? How much does it cost in the long run?

The price and being SERVICED to death will catch up.

Second tier for Splice is: 13.99 a month
Second tier for Sounds.com is 19.99 a month
Cost for both a year = $407.76 a year.

List of other options:

noiiz.com
sounds.com
splice.com
loopcloud.net
Rolandcloud.com
Slatedigital Service
Rankin Audio
soundsonline.com (EASTWEST)
Bymember04959388 Wed Apr 10, 2019 3:35 pm
Unreallystic wrote:So as someone who always gets enraged at what they are and aren't doing in schools, for once, that's not really it. There has never been a time where more people have been trying to "make it in music" as its become so easy, the barrier so low, the tools so effective, etc. In reality, THAT is what hass driven this. I've been marinating on this topic for a couple weeks now, like I turned 37 on Sunday, I got dye in my beard, I'm an old head who was a 10 in 92 and 12 in 94. I skipped school to walk through "the cut" to get my copy of Wu-Tang Forever on release day. So I SHOULD want to sample ,yet I hardly ever sample, and I was tryign to figure out why. Yeah I have some bias because of the Bad Boy "clone" song era, but its more than that. Then I started looking at most producers today, especially in hip-hop, and they don't sample much either, its not a dead art by any means, but its presence isn't nearly as strong.

why?

- Unreall

Sure, it depends on your way of making music.
Personally I prefer to use only what I am able to produce by myself and with Mpc Live and some external synths and fx, I think I have all I need.
It's time consuming? Yes, maybe, but I never think about time consume when I make music.
Can you imagine that The Dark side of the Moon took two years to be produced?
Very time consuming.
And I think that it makes a difference if you use your own tailored sounds or someone else's ones.
I repeat, this is very personal views, nothing against any other approach.
But from my very personal point of view, I would prefer to see some good new features focused on sound generation rather then a wifi connection to a sample download site.
By hansjbs Wed Apr 10, 2019 3:43 pm
Holly sh@t... :lol: Looks like I created a splice account in December 2015. I didn't even know they've been around that long. Looks like I never used it either. Crazy.
By CharlesRandolph Wed Apr 10, 2019 4:13 pm
hansjbs wrote:Holly sh@t... :lol: Looks like I created a splice account in December 2015. I didn't even know they've been around that long. Looks like I never used it either. Crazy.

So they've been Data Mining your computer for a long time. :lol: :lol: :lol:
By hansjbs Wed Apr 10, 2019 5:30 pm
CharlesRandolph wrote:
hansjbs wrote:Holly sh@t... :lol: Looks like I created a splice account in December 2015. I didn't even know they've been around that long. Looks like I never used it either. Crazy.

So they've been Data Mining your computer for a long time. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Nope. Last time I logged on was the day I signed up and it was from my iPad. My music Pc/mac are offline.
By Unreallystic Wed Apr 10, 2019 7:22 pm
CharlesRandolph wrote:Lots of hiphop producer don't sample, because they have to give too much or all their publishing. Many companies won't license the music for sync rights, that contain samples. The cost to clear them shot up. Also the lawsuits aren't worth it in the long run.

Splice and other services works well for now, the issues with them that will arise, is how does it effect new instrument sales? How does it effect companies who create original sample sets? How much does it cost in the long run?

The price and being SERVICED to death will catch up.

Second tier for Splice is: 13.99 a month
Second tier for Sounds.com is 19.99 a month
Cost for both a year = $407.76 a year.

I agree, I HATE service models personally, its a LARGE reason I don't even have Roland Cloud installed, despite it being valuable as a library for my System-8. I'm frustrated that Amazon Unlimited is missing albums from Heltah Skeltah that I own physicals of, and now have to to rip them to get them on my phone. I'm frustrated that despite using amazon Unlimited, I'm going to have to bite the bullet and get Spotify, just to wrap my head around it for my own use. I own several Nintendo Switches and NONE of them have the service turned on. I'm DONE with all these services.

With that said , the transition has already happened with real instruments. How many people even on this forum own real synthesizers - and I don't mean snobby-style "must be analog" synths, I mean, digital synth with a 2-octave or larger keybed? I'm hustling backwards, going from PC only to all outboard/standalone gear. The reality is the industry started moving that way a LONG time ago, just like streaming. So its up to you/us as individuals to dictate what makes us happy from a creative space, the efficiency of pumping out content quickly, or the enjoyment of creative - creativity and performance via real instruments.

And I mean you can already see if affecting gear prices, over the past like 3-5 years the sub-$500 synth market spiked HARD in volume and quantity, and you saw the higher end jump, eliminating the middle. That middle ground is no man's land. You can find deals on synths between $700 & $1200, but there aren't many in that range, and I'd put money up its because of what you are referring to.

I can't front, I have content that I never posted on Youtube out of fear of being striked. For me personally, there is just no advantage to sampling (other music). Hell I was going to post a sample of something I did using a USB flash drive as a mic, but it picked up my daughter watching "My Little Pony" in the background, and I didn't want any trouble hehe. The whole "Blurred Lines" thing made it even worse, I have so many beats that I can hear something similar to something else, and I can it out of fear of getting hit. It's just ridiculous. There are beats I can't sell, because I know that the sample would NEVER get cleared.

sigh
- Unreall
By mr_debauch Wed Apr 10, 2019 10:57 pm
I don't have an issue with things like splice... it is the streaming version of sample pack websites... there was a time we downloaded MP3s to listen to.. now we stream them every time we want to listen to them. There was a time we downloaded movies and tv shows, now we stream them. There was a time we downloaded games, now streaming current gen games without the need for gaming hardware is a thing (on live took a stab at that a decade ago, but it is becoming the norm)

Many media platforms that exist are making the transition from hardware/software manufaturer/seller to offering a service instead. Splice is an example of that, abobe does the same with their software as well.

I just don't feel my dedicated hardware sampler needs to have 3rd party paid service clients installed on them. The MPC 60 is timeless because it works the way it did back then (or better with the newer OS versions) .. no need for compatibility with the outside world.. midi 5 pin din is still used, 1/4" cables are still used.. the rest is in it's own world isolated from the factors that cause obsolescence. If our dedicated hardware is a thing that becomes reliant on 3rd party services, always online functionality, handshaking with websites or servers... stuff like that.... it is no longer dedicated hardware.
By CharlesRandolph Wed Apr 10, 2019 11:31 pm
mr_debauch wrote:I don't have an issue with things like splice... it is the streaming version of sample pack websites... there was a time we downloaded MP3s to listen to.. now we stream them every time we want to listen to them. There was a time we downloaded movies and tv shows, now we stream them. There was a time we downloaded games, now streaming current gen games without the need for gaming hardware is a thing (on live took a stab at that a decade ago, but it is becoming the norm)

Many media platforms that exist are making the transition from hardware/software manufaturer/seller to offering a service instead. Splice is an example of that, abobe does the same with their software as well.

I just don't feel my dedicated hardware sampler needs to have 3rd party paid service clients installed on them. The MPC 60 is timeless because it works the way it did back then (or better with the newer OS versions) .. no need for compatibility with the outside world.. midi 5 pin din is still used, 1/4" cables are still used.. the rest is in it's own world isolated from the factors that cause obsolescence. If our dedicated hardware is a thing that becomes reliant on 3rd party services, always online functionality, handshaking with websites or servers... stuff like that.... it is no longer dedicated hardware.

There are hardware controllers that are paired with software. That makes the user plug in the hardware every 30 day in order to work. Videos games are doing it and with sample service model companies, are next.

I'm not against the services but I understand the Pros and Cons. The last thing I want is my music tied to cloud service. It also hurts the second hand instrument market. I mean look at the MPC Live/X you have to deregiser your gear from the software, before you resale it.

Unreallystic wrote:I agree, I HATE service models personally, its a LARGE reason I don't even have Roland Cloud installed, despite it being valuable as a library for my System-8. I'm frustrated that Amazon Unlimited is missing albums from Heltah Skeltah that I own physicals of, and now have to to rip them to get them on my phone. I'm frustrated that despite using amazon Unlimited, I'm going to have to bite the bullet and get Spotify, just to wrap my head around it for my own use. I own several Nintendo Switches and NONE of them have the service turned on. I'm DONE with all these services.

With that said , the transition has already happened with real instruments. How many people even on this forum own real synthesizers - and I don't mean snobby-style "must be analog" synths, I mean, digital synth with a 2-octave or larger keybed? I'm hustling backwards, going from PC only to all outboard/standalone gear. The reality is the industry started moving that way a LONG time ago, just like streaming. So its up to you/us as individuals to dictate what makes us happy from a creative space, the efficiency of pumping out content quickly, or the enjoyment of creative - creativity and performance via real instruments.

And I mean you can already see if affecting gear prices, over the past like 3-5 years the sub-$500 synth market spiked HARD in volume and quantity, and you saw the higher end jump, eliminating the middle. That middle ground is no man's land. You can find deals on synths between $700 & $1200, but there aren't many in that range, and I'd put money up its because of what you are referring to.

I can't front, I have content that I never posted on Youtube out of fear of being striked. For me personally, there is just no advantage to sampling (other music). Hell I was going to post a sample of something I did using a USB flash drive as a mic, but it picked up my daughter watching "My Little Pony" in the background, and I didn't want any trouble hehe. The whole "Blurred Lines" thing made it even worse, I have so many beats that I can hear something similar to something else, and I can it out of fear of getting hit. It's just ridiculous. There are beats I can't sell, because I know that the sample would NEVER get cleared.

sigh
- Unreall

All these music recognition software like Windows Media, Shazam and Sound Hound. They would scan your PC and Smartphone for music. They were basically scraping data and applying content ID. Then you had websites like Youtube and Who Sampled it, who did the same thing and had people contributing to it's database. :lol:

With all this data, that's how Content ID became to be. Which made it easier for companies to track down samples. :lol: :lol: :lol: Splice and other services are doing the same thing with sounds.
By CharlesRandolph Thu Apr 11, 2019 1:15 am
hansjbs wrote:Nope. Last time I logged on was the day I signed up and it was from my iPad. My music Pc/mac are offline.
Does your mac and iPAD use the same apple id? :nod: Do you have a iphone? :-D
By hansjbs Thu Apr 11, 2019 9:47 am
CharlesRandolph wrote:
hansjbs wrote:Nope. Last time I logged on was the day I signed up and it was from my iPad. My music Pc/mac are offline.
Does your mac and iPAD use the same apple id? :nod: Do you have a iphone? :-D

Nope Android, didn’t see the need to have an iPhone and an iPad. iPad Apple ID is different than Mac. All my music PCs or Mac have always been my producer or music brand name and like I said offline since 2010.
By Unreallystic Thu Apr 11, 2019 4:54 pm
I also have a long standing theory about Splice that could be great for us. One of the thigns Splice did that was unique was host VSTs that you could make partial payments on. If Akai actually gets in bed with a service like that, it would create a place where they could carve out VSTs designed to run on the MPC Live or future MPC style products. Being able to add on VSTs that will actually work with the MPC would be huge, and Splice would be a terrific platform for "vetting" which VSts will meet the Akai standards necessary.

Again, I'm not much of a sampler, to me the MPC is more about remote music creation and workflow, so the idea of additional synths is a big deal *for me*.

going back to Splice, I actually love the idea - I haven't tried it out yet as I'm on a music "break" until next week (I went WAY to hard over the past month), but as a standalone guy, its a game changer conceptually. AND it should port over to my Force as well. I've got no real complaints about the idea. Subscriptions however are evil. Someone mentioned Adobe, I have a pirated copy of an older Photoshop, simply because I refuse the subscription model for software. I went legit on everything else, except Adobe, literally because of that.
- Unreall
Bymember04959388 Thu Apr 11, 2019 5:42 pm
Unreallystic wrote:I also have a long standing theory about Splice that could be great for us. One of the thigns Splice did that was unique was host VSTs that you could make partial payments on. If Akai actually gets in bed with a service like that, it would create a place where they could carve out VSTs designed to run on the MPC Live or future MPC style products. Being able to add on VSTs that will actually work with the MPC would be huge, and Splice would be a terrific platform for "vetting" which VSts will meet the Akai standards necessary.

Again, I'm not much of a sampler, to me the MPC is more about remote music creation and workflow, so the idea of additional synths is a big deal *for me*.

going back to Splice, I actually love the idea - I haven't tried it out yet as I'm on a music "break" until next week (I went WAY to hard over the past month), but as a standalone guy, its a game changer conceptually. AND it should port over to my Force as well. I've got no real complaints about the idea. Subscriptions however are evil. Someone mentioned Adobe, I have a pirated copy of an older Photoshop, simply because I refuse the subscription model for software. I went legit on everything else, except Adobe, literally because of that.
- Unreall

Yeah, more then Splice subscription, I would pay for standalone plugins.
It would be great if Akai makes a plugin platform like Propellerhead makes for Reason rack extension.
So we could buy synths and fx from third parties at reasonable prices.
Akai would benefit for that, creating an ecosystem for Mpc and Force and future products that could extend their range of instruments and effects made by good companies like Air of Softube or whatever.