MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By mr_debauch Fri Apr 12, 2019 1:19 am
now that for some reason, i don't mind. Even kontakt type pluggins even though they are playing samples technically... it feels to me like an ok idea compared to say, tempo locked loop libraries that you browse while the sequencer is running... it feels like what we did 15 years ago on garage band and FL studio or acid etc.. download a loop pack from kazaa lite or morpheus, and see how those loops worked with the drum pattern we just made. Not really feeling the idea of going back to that type of beat making.
By 40Beatz Fri Apr 12, 2019 1:49 pm
Kazaa Lite :lol: :lol:
Wow...That was back in the day lol
Bymember04959388 Fri Apr 12, 2019 2:00 pm
mr_debauch wrote:now that for some reason, i don't mind. Even kontakt type pluggins even though they are playing samples technically... it feels to me like an ok idea compared to say, tempo locked loop libraries that you browse while the sequencer is running... it feels like what we did 15 years ago on garage band and FL studio or acid etc.. download a loop pack from kazaa lite or morpheus, and see how those loops worked with the drum pattern we just made. Not really feeling the idea of going back to that type of beat making.

Yeah I agree.
I also dont wanna go back to that way of working, I switched from Abeton to Mpc for that reason, because I was kind of bored of library of loops and samples.
This is why I am not so excited by Splice.
By Unreallystic Fri Apr 12, 2019 2:07 pm
Frisbi wrote:Yeah, more then Splice subscription, I would pay for standalone plugins.
It would be great if Akai makes a plugin platform like Propellerhead makes for Reason rack extension.
So we could buy synths and fx from third parties at reasonable prices.
Akai would benefit for that, creating an ecosystem for Mpc and Force and future products that could extend their range of instruments and effects made by good companies like Air of Softube or whatever.

Yes/No, that is exactly what splice would function as long-term, but we do NOT want Akai putting resources "into" that endeavor hehe
- Unreall
By Unreallystic Fri Apr 12, 2019 2:10 pm
mr_debauch wrote:now that for some reason, i don't mind. Even kontakt type pluggins even though they are playing samples technically... it feels to me like an ok idea compared to say, tempo locked loop libraries that you browse while the sequencer is running... it feels like what we did 15 years ago on garage band and FL studio or acid etc.. download a loop pack from kazaa lite or morpheus, and see how those loops worked with the drum pattern we just made. Not really feeling the idea of going back to that type of beat making.

Well if they improve the warping algorithm, then you should be taking those loops, and warping them to fit, or chopping them up like they are just samples you don't need to clear. I mean frankly, everyone has access to the sample library of samples, so you need to do SOMETHING to put your stamp on it, so warp it, or chop it.
- Unreall
By 40Beatz Fri Apr 12, 2019 3:01 pm
I use the Warping Feature in Standalone as a Temporary instance. Once I figure what pitch sounds the best, I'll turn it off and I'll Pitch/TimeShift it manual in Sample Edit. A lot Cleaner that Auto Warping. My Lil Workaround
Bymember04959388 Fri Apr 12, 2019 4:42 pm
40Beatz wrote:I use the Warping Feature in Standalone as a Temporary instance. Once I figure what pitch sounds the best, I'll turn it off and I'll Pitch/TimeShift it manual in Sample Edit. A lot Cleaner that Auto Warping. My Lil Workaround

Yeah good advice.
Also adding some rythmic LFO helps sometimes to keep a sample in time, it changes the sample but I like it.
And the for the pitch we now have Air pitchshifter as an alternative
Bymember04959388 Fri Apr 12, 2019 4:44 pm
Unreallystic wrote:

Well if they improve the warping algorithm, then you should be taking those loops, and warping them to fit, or chopping them up like they are just samples you don't need to clear. I mean frankly, everyone has access to the sample library of samples, so you need to do SOMETHING to put your stamp on it, so warp it, or chop it.
- Unreall

Or just avoid downloaded clips and make your own, you have all you need for that.
More personal sound
By mr_debauch Fri Apr 12, 2019 7:07 pm
yeah .. i am ok with the service existing... but it being built into the standalone sampler seems like it isn't the direction i prefer. if ever splice goes under, i hope akai makes an update that removes it or they create a replacement.
By Unreallystic Mon Apr 15, 2019 4:37 pm
...but what harm is it doing? That's what I don't get. People are complaining about a feature being added on that doesn't change any other feature. Its not a paid for add-on, it isn't forced, its a "hey, here is another way you can get samples and loops onto your standalone MPC". Instead of buying a aa bunch of expansions or scouring the internet trying to find the perfect 808 kick, you could hop on Splice, audition until you find the right one, get that one sample, and be good to go. Where is the harm?
- Unreall
By CharlesRandolph Mon Apr 15, 2019 7:23 pm
Unreallystic wrote:...but what harm is it doing? That's what I don't get. People are complaining about a feature being added on that doesn't change any other feature. Its not a paid for add-on, it isn't forced, its a
"hey, here is another way you can get samples and loops onto your standalone MPC".

Instead of buying a bunch of expansions or scouring the internet trying to find the perfect 808 kick, you could hop on Splice, audition until you find the right one, get that one sample, and be good to go. Where is the harm?

I feel that many people, was looking to Transfer MIDI via Bluetooth. Play audio via Bluetooth. Transfer files via wifi. The issue with most of these services, is that they are pretend communities. They pretend to be for the culture, when many times they are just vultures.

We're artist and we are very fickle. Some people do not, want to be spoon fed. I for one, see the good in it, even if I don't use it. But some won't buy the MPC LIVE/X, just because they feel it's to connect to a laptop/desktop computers. That's why many want the hardware to do more. (They are Raging Against the Machine.)

There's lots of Hardcore MPC Heads here and they smell a gimmick miles away. My only concern with Splice on the MPC is, when Splice changes something in their system or code. Will it break the functionality of the MPC? Let's say SPLICE does a pivot and change their business model. What happens to the MPC integration?

When Akai Pro move on to other machines and no longer support the MPC LIve/X. What happens to the whole splice partnership. I feel that others, would like to have other features that are more crucial. Unfortunately at this time, SPLICE integration is not one of them.
Last edited by CharlesRandolph on Mon Apr 15, 2019 7:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bymember04959388 Mon Apr 15, 2019 7:40 pm
Unreallystic wrote:...but what harm is it doing? That's what I don't get. People are complaining about a feature being added on that doesn't change any other feature. Its not a paid for add-on, it isn't forced, its a "hey, here is another way you can get samples and loops onto your standalone MPC". Instead of buying a aa bunch of expansions or scouring the internet trying to find the perfect 808 kick, you could hop on Splice, audition until you find the right one, get that one sample, and be good to go. Where is the harm?
- Unreall

No harm to anyone.
The point is: we have bugs going on since day 1 (a couple of years ago) and are still there.
One is crucial, the glitch you get sometimes when switching from main to track mute.
Another one is when I duplicate the same track to spread a drum program in different tracks but they don't sound properly.
Then we had great synths and fx as a bonus and I was very happy, but bugs were still there.
We could have more standalone instruments, a freeze effect, a multiband, but Akai just put a wifi link to a sample download page.
And bugs are still there.
And so we have a very powerful sampler that has some problems and a really interesting sound generator with a bunch of synths waiting for more.
And Akai gives us a link to download sample.
Come on.
Be serious.
By CharlesRandolph Mon Apr 15, 2019 7:49 pm
@Frisbi, How come your post looks like a chat room? How do you manage to do that? :lol: Other than that, bugs should be the main priority. Fix them before adding more functions, that will causes more bugs.
Bymember04959388 Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:29 pm
CharlesRandolph wrote:@Frisbi, How come your post looks like a chat room? How do you manage to do that? :lol: Other than that, bugs should be the main priority. Fix them before adding more functions, that will causes more bugs.

Ahah Mpc chat room.
Yeah man, first fix the bugs, dear Akai and make a perfectly working sampler.
But it seems Akai works on the opposite direction: first add new features that will cause more bugs, then try to solve all sooner or later.
This glitch when you go from Main page to Track mute page is unacceptable for me, and its still unsolved
By mr_debauch Mon Apr 15, 2019 11:23 pm
i don't know what harm exactly, besides a menu button you can't use if you aren't a subscriber or if the service is no longer available.. maybe it takes up some system resource or space in the firmware that would be for nothing if again, we still have our machines in years to come... a direct link to the sample store in your sample library seems kind of shitty... keep in mind i am nit picking more than anything. I come from an era of these forums where we bash akai as much as possible. Look, after a decade of that we got a couple of great standalone machines.