MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By Fanu Tue Apr 16, 2019 6:12 am
In master limiting, it's worthless. Tested it once it came out.
Dealing with good master limiting and listening to it is a big part of my paying job, and a very quick test was enough to tell me that guy sucks at it.
By Cockdiesel Fri Apr 19, 2019 5:52 am
I am sure you will come up with something decent, but let’s face it if you were a “mastering” engineer making money you would not want to do it in a MPC Live.

Real hardware maximizers cost more than the live....

personally I have only used it when making keygroups loud as ****. I think these tools are there to really help with sound design, experiment and also give an entry level access to “professional” effects.

Heck even in vst form the wiess algorithms for its mastering effects cost half as much to 3/4 of the price of a live.

Not to be a hater, gotta work with what you got and I know some serious fire has been made with less than the live offers.

Good luck y’all and experiment the shit out of this stuff.
By Fanu Fri Apr 19, 2019 8:14 am
Cockdiesel wrote:Real hardware maximizers cost more than the live....

Majority of mixing and mastering is done ITB these days; no need to pay big amounts for hardware.
There are decent low-cost mastering limiter plugins such as AOM Invisible Limiter, DMGaudio Limitless etc.
Also Ozone Maximizer is amazing but not cheap (IRC III mode…can't work with others myself).
I use them to limit a few hundred songs a year, and everybody's happy.
By Danoc Fri Apr 19, 2019 9:38 pm
I was about to say the same thing. That's why lm totally ITB. I use the waves stuff. Some use hardware but they had it for years upon years.

Fanu wrote:
Cockdiesel wrote:Real hardware maximizers cost more than the live....

Majority of mixing and mastering is done ITB these days; no need to pay big amounts for hardware.
There are decent low-cost mastering limiter plugins such as AOM Invisible Limiter, DMGaudio Limitless etc.
Also Ozone Maximizer is amazing but not cheap (IRC III mode…can't work with others myself).
I use them to limit a few hundred songs a year, and everybody's happy.
By mr_debauch Fri Apr 19, 2019 11:37 pm
well for songs... but why do any final mastering on beats that other elements will be added later (maybe not by you)
By Cockdiesel Sat Apr 20, 2019 5:44 am
I was just trying to point out the perceived value of this effect on the live. If you want to compare how much are professional vst maximizer compared to the live...
that’s only one effect. You could make the same comparison to any of the other effects.

Is what it is.
By mr_debauch Sat Apr 20, 2019 6:05 am
well yeah. I mean the MV has a set of mastering fx (only available in the mastering mode) and they have some meat and potatoes stuff... but let's be serious. It's fun and cool, but not the real tool for that actual job. If you are making your own stuff at home, and it's good enough for a little project... well that is perfect. Cool having it, but you won't be transfering your profession sessions of client's work to the live (or MV) to use those over ozone, or any in the box professional environment.

I just wondered if people were talking about mastering instrumentals that vocals will be added to later and why.
By Lampdog Sat Apr 20, 2019 8:40 am
Your Uber customer will love that picked them up in a classic cherried out Volkswagon Beatle and you can get them where they need to be.

Pick up your Uber customers in a Ferrari 458 Italia, they will enjoy the ride ALOT more and will most likely pay a bit more just ride AND arrive in style.
By CharlesRandolph Sat Apr 20, 2019 11:11 am
When it comes to plug in vs hardware. It all depends if you have a project studio or if you work with clients. For example I go to a mastering house that can provide what I need. If I recorded everything in the analog domain, I want the mastering and vinyl master cut from a full analog signal. The only time it goes digital is for consumers format.

If I’m doing 7.1 mixes, I need my mastering engineer to know how to work in that domain. So if you are mixing or mastering your own music, and air fix maximizer gives you the sound you desire use it. But like I stated before, there are no short cuts, if you want it to be the best it can be.
By Eyalc Sat Apr 20, 2019 11:31 am
Lampdog wrote:Your Uber customer will love that picked them up in a classic cherried out Volkswagon Beatle and you can get them where they need to be.

Pick up your Uber customers in a Ferrari 458 Italia, they will enjoy the ride ALOT more and will most likely pay a bit more just ride AND arrive in style.

Best analogy I’ve read in 2019. LOL

Truth.
By Eyalc Sat Apr 20, 2019 11:57 am
mr_debauch wrote:I just wondered if people were talking about mastering instrumentals that vocals will be added to later and why.

In general practice it’s a bad idea IMO. I’m not a mastering expert, but I know enough. But I can’t stand when people send me their stems (music or vocals) and say “I mastered them already”, as if it’s helping the process. In reality it makes things a mess more often than not, for various reasons.

The MPC is no place to be mastering anything. Leave it be... you’re not going to master anything in your bedroom or living room. Send it to a professional if you want a professional result. Just because you own a hammer, doesn’t mean you can build a house. IMO mastering has little do with the tools, and mostly to do with the ear and experience.
Bymember04959388 Sat Apr 20, 2019 2:24 pm
Eyalc wrote:
mr_debauch wrote:I just wondered if people were talking about mastering instrumentals that vocals will be added to later and why.

In general practice it’s a bad idea IMO. I’m not a mastering expert, but I know enough. But I can’t stand when people send me their stems (music or vocals) and say “I mastered them already”, as if it’s helping the process. In reality it makes things a mess more often than not, for various reasons.

The MPC is no place to be mastering anything. Leave it be... you’re not going to master anything in your bedroom or living room. Send it to a professional if you want a professional result. Just because you own a hammer, doesn’t mean you can build a house. IMO mastering has little do with the tools, and mostly to do with the ear and experience.

Yeah it doesn't make much sense to make a mastering on Mpc.
Apart from analog or digital discussion, it's just that it's not a device made for mastering, it's made for creating and those two sides need a different approach.
With mastering you work with frequencies, you need a spectrum analyzer and maybe also a multiband compressor can be very helpful. And some crucial mastering eq.
All of this is missing on Mpc, because it's not made for that.
The Air limiter is maybe provided to control some critical sound on mixing, it's just a single band ordinary maximizer.
Personally I use maximizer only when really needed and I don't think I will ever use this Air one.
The rest of Air fx are great anyway, the more I use them, the more I like them.
By Danoc Sat Apr 20, 2019 9:37 pm
:lol: :lol: :lol: Mastered stems lol oh my Goodness lol you're on a roll lol :lol:
I am hollering lol that is hella funny lol :lol:
Eyalc wrote:In general practice it’s a bad idea IMO. I’m not a mastering expert, but I know enough. But I can’t stand when people send me their stems (music or vocals) and say “I mastered them already”, as if it’s helping the process. In reality it makes things a mess more often than not, for various reasons.
By CharlesRandolph Sat Apr 20, 2019 9:58 pm
Eyalc wrote:In general practice it’s a bad idea IMO. I’m not a mastering expert, but I know enough. But I can’t stand when people send me their stems (music or vocals) and say “I mastered them already”, as if it’s helping the process. In reality it makes things a mess more often than not, for various reasons.

I don't know DJ Shadow created endtroducing using just a MPC. In his bedroom. :lol: :lol: :lol: So are you saying I can't master my music using a pair of Auratone 5C Super Sound, some Yamaha NS-10, a Behringer compressor with a Aphex Systems Aural Exciter. My dreams are broken, I guess I'll go back to collecting SP 1200's and Commodore 64's.