New to the MPC production world? Got a music production question that's not really specific to any particular MPC? Try your luck here and get help from our experienced members.
By Big Monk Fri Apr 19, 2019 3:39 pm
Wormhelmet wrote:MV8800’s are fairly inexpensive used. Same with MPC 4000’s. Learning curve is probably fairly steep for someone not familiar with them both though.

Wormhelmet wrote:I have two mv8800’s and love them, but you have to be a little patient with them, get a good manual and bookmark tutorial videos, and they are pretty big and heavy.

Admittedly, I threw the MV8800 out there after seeing a video with RZA and the fact that, if I understood his explanation correctly, the MV8800 receives turntable line input directly.

I actually found what looked to be a very well cared for MV8800 with the VGA mod and 22" monitor for what seems like a fair price, but again, I need to play around a little more before I pull the trigger on a hardware setup.

Wormhelmet wrote:That said - an iPad and a few apps plus an interface to accommodate your turntable is pretty flexible. iMPC or BeatMaker 2 or 3 (recommend BeatMaker 2 for simplicity) would also do pretty well.

I have been playing around with iMPC for iPad (not iMPC Pro 2, not sure if they are different or not) and getting a feel for the concepts. My turntable is not sufficient, IMO, for the purposes of sampling direct off the deck (scratching, sampling to hardware unit, etc). It's a cheap USB unit for transferring vinyl to digital. I believe it's an ION unit. My thoughts were to get the converter cable (lightning to female USB) and use the EZ Vinyl 2 app to pull chunks of vinyl direct to my iPad for use in iMPC.

That puts my startup cost for messing around to about $30, which is good for me to see if the process itself is enjoyable while not having any buyer's remorse.
By CharlesRandolph Fri Apr 19, 2019 4:00 pm
Big Monk wrote:
CharlesRandolph wrote:Nevertheless, I know that it's an investment, but as an electrical engineer you know the price of new tools. Heck you could get the limited edition gold version MPC. Not to mention you have lot's of records and turntable and speakers. Therefore you wouldn't need to invest into anything else for a long time.

Given my background professionally and understanding (once I get the hang of things in any hobby) that you need to get a handle on the fundamentals, I subscribe to the "buy once, cry once" maxim.

I do have significant vinyl as compared to the average person. My turntable is not that great, as up to this point I have only used it for playback and transfer the vinyl to digital for iTunes.

Right now I am just messing around with iMPC and looking into tapping my cheap turntable into the iPad to get samples off the vinyl. I understand the negative criticism for the iMPC after doing some digging but I am not ready to pull the trigger on hardware just yet, especially considering this is going to be a hobby for me.

It goes without saying but I appreciate the info.

Understood. I wish you good luck. :nod:
By Wormhelmet Fri Apr 19, 2019 4:12 pm
If you do end up with an mv8800, just dig into that manual. They are loaded with features. There is also links on MVnation website and I believe on Roland clan to S700 sample libraries. Tons of multisampled intruments. A lot of sample websites will offer some free samples but I imagine you’ll get plenty of material from your vinyl. I have never had either of mine crash. You can upgrade the hard drive to 128gb max and don’t use more than 512mb RAM for it. That’s max. It will see 1024mb, but will get glitchy on you. 512mb is used incredibly efficiently though. I’ve never had a project even come close to using the full 512mb RAM. It also uses samples well in copying a sample you are working with when editing, slicing, mangling, or whatever, so the original sample stays intact.

They are extremely flexible as an all in one production station. Just keep in mind it’s older tech and slower load times and sample preview times. One of the best hardware midi sequencers I’ve used also.

I think if you’ve never got accustomed to an MPC first and are starting with an MV8800, it’s actually easier to learn it than switching from MPC to MV. Different workflow. It has mastering tools built in and can spit out a redbook standard music CD if you want to go that far with it.

Before getting mine, I did put out complete tracks with my iPad and favorite apps. I just like having real hardware to work with. I used a Korg padKontrol with BeatMaker 2 for quite a few songs. Pretty easy, but BeatMaker 2 is less tools at hand than an MV. BeatMaker 3 is loaded with features and does about everything the new MPC’s can do and then some. It takes more learning than version 2.

One thing I like about older machines like the MPC 4000, 3000, 5000, 2000, and 60, and the MV’s and anything that’s been out for awhile and is now out of production is that when you buy it, you buy as is without expectation of updates or features to come soon, etc. It is what it is and will not ever be anything more.

jjos is the exception on the 1000 and 2500. I think they are still getting feature updates.

MPC Live and X are actively being updated and some still waiting on promised features.

Good luck on your choice. 8)
By Ill-Green Sat Apr 20, 2019 8:11 am
For an old school sampler but made in 2019, I recommend a DJS-1000 or a Volca Sample. One expensive and the other dirt cheap, both powerful.

The DJS is very easy to use for my veteran self. As a beginner, spend an hour or two playing and mangling the preset samples and sequences, you'll figure out the machine in no time. You can sample directly into it or transfer via USB flashdrive with its software. Its my main piece now after selling the MV8800 and the MPC Live. Though I loved those machines, but workflow was kinda clunky. The DJS really is an old school style sampler with today's tech and its the most liquidity and lightening fast sampler I ever laid hands on. Why? Because, everything you and it does, is in real-time. From sampling all the way to time stretching/pitching even if a beat is playing. Its bobomb-bomb.

The Volca Sample is my latest sampler. I just got it a week ago. I needed something portable because my new position at my job demands me a lot, so its been a month or two since I powered the studio.

I just want to say, its been out since 2014. I never got into the hype because it seemed like a one trick pony and I thought it could never compare to a real MPC or MV. But man, was I ever so **** wrong. Its practically a mini SP-1200. You can chop, pitch, stretch and mangle samples on this puppy. Plus, all the ninja tricks used on the SP1200, applies very well on the Volca Sample... and just as limited. Peep all the vids, it's a beast indeed. Only thing, it does not sample. You load samples in with Caustic app for iPhone and android. So if you already sampling vinyl into iTunes, you already set to go. Just remember to keep each sample slot no more than 10 seconds and disable Dolby and Surround because the Volca reads data like the old Commodore 64 cassettes, and it has to be at 75% to 80% volume. Best to set your iphone to mono for the headphone jack. You will not be disappointed. There is a learning curve because its small and everthing jammed in is accessed with func key combinations, but its powerful and grimey.

Good luck and keep youtubing.

PS, also look for 1010 Music's Black Box thats coming out in a month. Can't speak much on that, but looks like an upcoming contender.
By Big Monk Sat Apr 20, 2019 2:06 pm
Ill-Green wrote:For an old school sampler but made in 2019, I recommend a DJS-1000 or a Volca Sample. One expensive and the other dirt cheap, both powerful.

The DJS is very easy to use for my veteran self. As a beginner, spend an hour or two playing and mangling the preset samples and sequences, you'll figure out the machine in no time. You can sample directly into it or transfer via USB flashdrive with its software. Its my main piece now after selling the MV8800 and the MPC Live. Though I loved those machines, but workflow was kinda clunky. The DJS really is an old school style sampler with today's tech and its the most liquidity and lightening fast sampler I ever laid hands on. Why? Because, everything you and it does, is in real-time. From sampling all the way to time stretching/pitching even if a beat is playing. Its bobomb-bomb.

The Volca Sample is my latest sampler. I just got it a week ago. I needed something portable because my new position at my job demands me a lot, so its been a month or two since I powered the studio.

I just want to say, its been out since 2014. I never got into the hype because it seemed like a one trick pony and I thought it could never compare to a real MPC or MV. But man, was I ever so **** wrong. Its practically a mini SP-1200. You can chop, pitch, stretch and mangle samples on this puppy. Plus, all the ninja tricks used on the SP1200, applies very well on the Volca Sample... and just as limited. Peep all the vids, it's a beast indeed. Only thing, it does not sample. You load samples in with Caustic app for iPhone and android. So if you already sampling vinyl into iTunes, you already set to go. Just remember to keep each sample slot no more than 10 seconds and disable Dolby and Surround because the Volca reads data like the old Commodore 64 cassettes, and it has to be at 75% to 80% volume. Best to set your iphone to mono for the headphone jack. You will not be disappointed. There is a learning curve because its small and everthing jammed in is accessed with func key combinations, but its powerful and grimey.

Good luck and keep youtubing.

PS, also look for 1010 Music's Black Box thats coming out in a month. Can't speak much on that, but looks like an upcoming contender.

Thanks for the heads up on the Volca.

I’m still trying to translate the musical knowledge in my head into the actual act of sampling. I have what I think I need rhythmically from years of listening to music and playing the guitar but I still need to learn the basics of what to sample and how to sample it.

This has been a long time coming because for years I have listened to music with an ear for sounds and interesting bits and bobs.

Appreciate all the advice. Still fooling around in iMPC at the moment.
By Big Monk Sun Apr 21, 2019 1:16 am
Just grabbed the audio cables I need to directly record off my turntable into the iPad.

At the very least, if iMPC doesn’t work out for me, I’ll be setup to hit the ground running with Beatmaker 3 an have the capability to record and sample off my vinyl collection.
By Big Monk Sun Apr 21, 2019 3:21 am
Just purchased BM3 after iMPC glitched out on me one too many times. Is there a way to samples the files on my iPad in BM3 similar to what is available in iMPC?
By saltmcgault Sun Apr 21, 2019 8:49 am
seriously think about investing in a mpc2500. i really think that would be the best route for you. **** those apps. lol
By Big Monk Sun Apr 21, 2019 1:00 pm
saltmcgault wrote:seriously think about investing in a mpc2500. i really think that would be the best route for you. **** those apps. lol

There are definitely some hardware purchases in my future but right now I’m just trying to get a handle on sampling and the process.

There is definitely a learning curve for me. I’ve got the appreciation, the music collection, and the ear, but now I just need to exercise my brain into understanding how do this!
By Cockdiesel Mon Apr 22, 2019 4:13 am
if you're trying to figure out sampling, maybe find a used dr. sample, or roland 303, 404,555. Pretty cheap and the basics are covered. now drum programming wise it leaves much to be desired. It really brings out creativity making loops on them. you can come up with crazy sound scapes in no time.
I know everyone is throwing out alot of suggestions to you, but sampling is at the core of all this.
unless you know what youre doing, apps to me leave alot to be desired and only fill gaps that I have in hardware. It's going to be hard to find out what exactly makes the sampling thing click for you, but once you find that killer groove or deep melodic loop it becomes an addiction.
By Big Monk Mon Apr 22, 2019 11:57 am
Cockdiesel wrote:if you're trying to figure out sampling, maybe find a used dr. sample, or roland 303, 404,555. Pretty cheap and the basics are covered. now drum programming wise it leaves much to be desired. It really brings out creativity making loops on them. you can come up with crazy sound scapes in no time.
I know everyone is throwing out alot of suggestions to you, but sampling is at the core of all this.
unless you know what youre doing, apps to me leave alot to be desired and only fill gaps that I have in hardware. It's going to be hard to find out what exactly makes the sampling thing click for you, but once you find that killer groove or deep melodic loop it becomes an addiction.

Using some basic advice from a member here (shout out to saltmcgault) I was able to hit the ground running on some basic loops last night. I have a few things to try out but my best luck so far has come from iMPC Pro 2. I like, for now, being able to sample directly off the files from Apple Music.

I am internalizing all the device here and very appreciative of people taking the time to respond and encouraged. I am aware of app limitations but also that it is helping me grasp the basic concepts. I have my eye on some hardware. All in due time i'm sure.
By Lampdog Mon Oct 28, 2019 12:51 pm
Big Monk wrote:Just purchased BM3 after iMPC glitched out on me one too many times. Is there a way to samples the files on my iPad in BM3 similar to what is available in iMPC?

How is BM3 treating you so far?

BM3 can import samples from several other apps, dropbox as well. It’s all detailed in the manual.

https://intua.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/sect ... r-s-manual

https://intua.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/arti ... ring-Files

By peterpiper Mon Oct 28, 2019 2:59 pm
Tell us what model of turntable you got and we tell you if you need to buy another one :)
I too think that the MPC2500 fits well. It is more advanced than the 90s MPCs (especially with the JJOS that I recommend) but also not overfilled with features you don't need for that kind of music.

peace
By Lampdog Tue Oct 29, 2019 4:19 pm
Big Monk wrote:It's a cheap USB unit for transferring vinyl to digital. I believe it's an ION unit.