MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By CharlesRandolph Tue Apr 23, 2019 7:08 pm
I've never been into custom painted gear. I rather have the customization be something of value. More inputs and outputs, better pre amps, more ram. You know things that actually affects the music. That's just me and I hold nothing against those who, like to dress up their gear.

But yeah, when I do buy used gear, I make sure it's not modified or painted. I want the original design that the designer created.
By Lampdog Tue Apr 23, 2019 7:39 pm
CharlesRandolph wrote:... I want the original design that the designer created.

+1
By richie Tue Apr 23, 2019 10:30 pm
The gold MPC Live has better swing and sounds more soulful when sampling.
By lih Wed Apr 24, 2019 12:18 pm
you better be a real monster on the pads whipping that out
By Unreallystic Wed Apr 24, 2019 1:20 pm
CharlesRandolph wrote:I've never been into custom painted gear. I rather have the customization be something of value. More inputs and outputs, better pre amps, more ram. You know things that actually affects the music. That's just me and I hold nothing against those who, like to dress up their gear.

But yeah, when I do buy used gear, I make sure it's not modified or painted. I want the original design that the designer created.

Its energy. Its that simple, just like people putting up artwork or anything personal in the studio. You can have a fully functional soulless place, or you can create and foster a creative environment. whenever I saw my Red Push, I smiled hard, and got excited to use it (one of my boys is holding it). My Push 2 though? Joint feels like a boring @$$ keyboard. It doesn't excite me to work with, its just a tool.

I dunno, I did the stock thing, and felt the studio was too impersonal. Couple that with me enjoying custom work (use to do car audio sound systems and displays, and I relax every now and then by painting little figurines), and I just like it.

Oh and I like being different :lol: I enjoy it. I revel in it.

Unfortunately - and fortunately - Akai did a good job of making the MPC Live format "physically tight" - they maximized it and made it as efficient (or near) as efficient as possible, so I can't really adorn anything fancy to it. No fiberglass customs here heh. I still really want to do a Kraken/Giant squid thing though. Its just gnawing at me. The whole ten tentacles *I know its technically not 10 tentacles* and 10 fingers parallel is screaming at the artist in me. :wink:
- Unreall
By 40Beatz Wed Apr 24, 2019 2:03 pm
All This Shiny Gold MPC talk gonna make me order a Shiny Silver Metallic Skin for my Live lol. Just to See how it would look. F**k it...its only $80. If it doesn't look right, I WON'T Adhere it permanently!
By CharlesRandolph Wed Apr 24, 2019 2:38 pm
Unreallystic wrote:Its energy. Its that simple, just like people putting up artwork or anything personal in the studio. You can have a fully functional soulless place, or you can create and foster a creative environment. whenever I saw my Red Push, I smiled hard, and got excited to use it (one of my boys is holding it). My Push 2 though? Joint feels like a boring @$$ keyboard. It doesn't excite me to work with, its just a tool.

I dunno, I did the stock thing, and felt the studio was too impersonal. Couple that with me enjoying custom work (use to do car audio sound systems and displays, and I relax every now and then by painting little figurines), and I just like it.

Oh and I like being different :lol: I enjoy it. I revel in it.

Unfortunately - and fortunately - Akai did a good job of making the MPC Live format "physically tight" - they maximized it and made it as efficient (or near) as efficient as possible, so I can't really adorn anything fancy to it. No fiberglass customs here heh. I still really want to do a Kraken/Giant squid thing though. Its just gnawing at me. The whole ten tentacles *I know its technically not 10 tentacles* and 10 fingers parallel is screaming at the artist in me. :wink:
- Unreall

John Stanley, Ray Charles, Art Tatum and Stevie Wonder make/made great music without such visual stimulates. Music is dominated by our ears, not our eyes. Close your eyes, play your instrument, and let your ears and mind be your creative force.
By Unreallystic Wed Apr 24, 2019 4:35 pm
CharlesRandolph wrote:John Stanley, Ray Charles, Art Tatum and Stevie Wonder make/made great music without such visual stimulates. Music is dominated by our ears, not our eyes. Close your eyes, play your instrument, and let your ears and mind be your creative force.

Eh, and Black Eyed Peas setup Candles, David Banner burns Sage, etc. Everyone has their quirks. I'm not saying I "have" to do it, the act of customizing in itself I enjoy, but I also like looking at gear and artistry on gear, like custom PCs, candy-painted cars, etc. Naw, its never needed, but it doesn't hurt. Everyone's creative process is different. A car is a tool, but it doesn't stop people from liking certain colors.
- Unreall
By Lampdog Wed Apr 24, 2019 6:41 pm
Unreallystic wrote:Its energy. Its that simple, just like people putting up artwork or anything personal in the studio. You can have a fully functional soulless place, or you can create and foster a creative environment. whenever I saw my Red Push, I smiled hard, and got excited to use it

And I completely understand this side of the convo too.

My first 2kxl was standard grey, uninspiring. No effects card or 8out. A few weeks later I traded it along with a lil more money for 2kxlse2 (orange) and it felt better, now I had the effects card, 8 outs, max ram and my beats were better becaue I was happier with the orange.
By Danoc Wed Apr 24, 2019 7:48 pm
I came from a Boss DR5 to the MPC 2000 and l was inspired. Then got the 2000XL and was inspired even more, grey and all. :-)
By 40Beatz Wed Apr 24, 2019 8:01 pm
My 1st Piece of equipment was a Yamaha QY70 connected to the Yamaha SU200.....I was in paradise lol After that was the Orange MPC 2000XL. The color did play with my Mental tho. I Thought My MP sounded different than others lol
By CharlesRandolph Wed Apr 24, 2019 8:50 pm
Unreallystic wrote:Eh, and Black Eyed Peas setup Candles, David Banner burns Sage, etc. Everyone has their quirks. I'm not saying I "have" to do it, the act of customizing in itself I enjoy, but I also like looking at gear and artistry on gear, like custom PCs, candy-painted cars, etc. Naw, its never needed, but it doesn't hurt. Everyone's creative process is different. A car is a tool, but it doesn't stop people from liking certain colors.
- Unreall

That's understandable. People are always searching for things to put them in a certain mood. It's true that our environment, has an affect on our other senses. But the colors of a car won't make it go faster, color of machine won't change the texture of the music. Those things are vanity items, they don't change what is inside of us.

I've been in the Studio with BEP, there no candles during that session. :lol:

Lampdog wrote:And I completely understand this side of the convo too.

My first 2kxl was standard grey, uninspiring. No effects card or 8out. A few weeks later I traded it along with a lil more money for 2kxlse2 (orange) and it felt better, now I had the effects card, 8 outs, max ram and my beats were better because I was happier with the orange.

Your beats were better, because you put the time and effort into the craft. The effects card. 8 out and max ram gave you a better tool. It wasn't the color, it was you. Give yourself the credit. :nod:

Danoc wrote:I came from a Boss DR5 to the MPC 2000 and l was inspired. Then got the 2000XL and was inspired even more, grey and all. :-)
That's because you were the inspiration not some inanimate object. We make the machine do what we want it to do. We play the instrument. It does not play us. :smoker:
By Lampdog Wed Apr 24, 2019 9:55 pm
Danoc wrote:I came from a Boss DR5 to the MPC 2000 and l was inspired. Then got the 2000XL and was inspired even more, grey and all. :-)

I remember a friend bought one of these but didn't know anything about drum machines. I told him it's a beast and I proved it by making what I would describe as a HARD ASS slow remake of Planet Rock and he was sold after that. Back when we could just concentrate on one piece of gear, beats were just better because we PULLED the techniques out that somebish.