For discussion about setting up your studio and advice on the gear and equipment within it.
By KingRamsey94 Sun Mar 03, 2019 4:01 pm
I'm looking for some advice in regards to my studio set up. I have the MPC X which I bought mainly for its stand alone capabilities which I love, however I want to expand my horizons and need to find a DAW that I can sync to the MPC and multi track my beats out for a solid, mixed down and finished product. I am not to knowledgeable about the ins and outs of many DAWs and dont need anything extravagant, as I plan to use the X as my main source of production. I heard FL Studio has this capability but did not receive a definitive answer from my local Guitar Center. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
By quietizkept Mon Mar 04, 2019 1:14 am
I wouldn't go for FL if you already got the X. Too much overlapping capability, you won't need both of those. I'd suggest a more traditional DAW. I use Harrison Mixbus, Pro Tools is the industry standard still as far as I understand it. I liked Reaper, though it can be too configurable & that can be a rabbit hole.I used Sonar then Cakewalk for a long time & I find CW to be transparent & powerful. I like Mixbus a lot though I'm not great in editing with it yet. Mixbus has excellent OSC compatibility & you need no other program to make it connect to your OSC app. There are some great templates out there for Touch OSC & Lemur Android & iphone app, which adds a very nice level of control of the Mixbus DAW. I run the MPC Software as a plugin in it. MB's routing grid & pinout looks crazy at first but once you wrap your head around it, it is really simple to set up. ALMOST FORGOT: Cakewalk (fka Sonar) is absolutely free for the Full suite. Solid as a rock, too. I liked it for many years but Mixbus feels Old School which I happen to like.
By Christov Tue Mar 05, 2019 10:01 am
I got reaper, works fine for me. The adjustability of it is something I really like, I only use what I need so my DAW doesn't get too cluttered.
By Lampdog Tue Mar 05, 2019 4:03 pm
Christov wrote:I got reaper, works fine for me. The adjustability of it is something I really like, I only use what I need so my DAW doesn't get too cluttered.

+1