MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By we_squirm Thu May 16, 2019 6:37 pm
Hello! Relatively new to the MPC Live. But I've been diving headfirst in and really enjoying it. I'm trying to figure out the best way to perform with it. Let me explain the scenario:

I've recorded an album that I am trying to recreate live. So I've created "songs" on the MPC live. Usually 5 or so sequences tied together. I then have a live drummer play along side me. I want to have the track playing as I've set it up in song mode, with a click going to the drummer. While the song is playing in song mode, I will be singing, playing keys, etc...

BUT this is what I'm having trouble with. I ALSO want to trigger one shot samples from the MPC live for that song while it's happening. I like to have the track running out of 1 and 2, and then a group of one shot samples I can hit going out through 3 and 4 into some delay pedals that I can manipulate. That way it feels more like a real performance to me and not just me singing to backing tracks.

What's the best way to do this? Like I said, I have the songs all setup, I just don't know how to incorporate the one shot performance based samples to this work flow. Let me know your ideas, I'd really appreciate it! I like song mode, but I prefer Next Sequence mode as it also feels a bit more performative. Anyway to incorporate next sequence mode with some live pad one shots as well?
Bymember04959388 Thu May 16, 2019 7:05 pm
Well I have something similar, a main output, a 3/4 output going to external fx and 5/6 to a kaoss pad.
First thing I learnt when preparing this set to perform live, was that I had to sacrifice song mode and just build the arrangement in real time switching sequences from main menu or next sequence mode.
Then I also sacrificed pad mute and i spread the pads in different tracks so I can just use track mute.
So basically I work with next sequence, track mute and qlink (project mode).
Meanwhile I play some notes with a usb keyboard and mostly I use electric or keygroups and I try to stay on that track to play while I jump to qlink or track mute or next sequence.
I have different projects, I load, I play, I sample on the fly to have the time to load next project and so on.
I like this set actually, what at the beginning I found limiting, now I find a good way to play always differently because the arrangement of songs is actually made in real time and so I can sometimes extend the song, sometimes shorten it, sometimes let the samples from kaoss pad run longer or shorter and so on.
By we_squirm Thu May 16, 2019 8:13 pm
Thanks for the reply! That sounds cool. I think I want to do a similar thing. Song mode is redundant for me. I want to use Next Sequence Mode.

I guess my question is how do I do Next Sequence Mode AND trigger some one shot samples when I want to?
Bymember04959388 Thu May 16, 2019 8:29 pm
we_squirm wrote:Thanks for the reply! That sounds cool. I think I want to do a similar thing. Song mode is redundant for me. I want to use Next Sequence Mode.

I guess my question is how do I do Next Sequence Mode AND trigger some one shot samples when I want to?

To trigger oneshots, just go on main and select the track where you have them.
Then switch to next sequence or track mute or qlinks and back to main and so on.
After you train a bit, it becomes fast.
It's like playing an instrument
By we_squirm Thu May 16, 2019 9:18 pm
Frisbi wrote:
we_squirm wrote:Thanks for the reply! That sounds cool. I think I want to do a similar thing. Song mode is redundant for me. I want to use Next Sequence Mode.

To trigger oneshots, just go on main and select the track where you have them.
Then switch to next sequence or track mute or qlinks and back to main and so on.
After you train a bit, it becomes fast.
It's like playing an instrument

Ah I see! Is there a one or two button shortcut to go between Next Sequence Mode and Main?
By we_squirm Fri May 17, 2019 5:51 pm
For anyone curious this is the best thing I could come up with.

Organize my song into different sequences in a linear fashion in the main mode. I hit play on the Intro and turn the big dial to get the next part ready to go. I do this for all the parts of the song. While I have this going, all the pads are active to me to hit some one shot triggers. This is kinda like a cheaters "next sequence mode." works well! haven't found any errors in it yet!