Exchange tips and tricks for the Akai MPC4000
By richie Wed Jun 06, 2018 2:52 am
Funkstar2 wrote:Can someone please explain the purpose of " to USB 2.0 External Hard Drive Enclosure"? I don't understand why this is required

Who said that it is required? It's simply an option you have if you want to use it.
By SnowMetal Sat Feb 09, 2019 7:41 am
MPCdawk wrote:.. as long as it is set to be a master on the IDE bus.

Hello.. What does this mean? Is this why I can't get my MPC to save anything to my new SSD, and why with it installed I also can't find my other installed drive?

Thanks for any information.

EDIT: I see now there is a format option in the unit itself, which of course I first assumed as well, but I couldn't find it. Now, it's doing a full format, and it's taking *forever*. My drive is a 256gb Crucial.
By mrbrownwst Sun Mar 31, 2019 11:03 am
Hi Guys

I just recently got a 4000 and have been trying to do this SSD install to no avail.

I followed the instructions from Horseclick as they are clear and simple (thanks Horseclick), I'm only interested in the SSD for now, not the fan or the removeable caddy part.

I got the exact same converter and a 120gb Kingston SSD.

I connected everything the same way shown in Horseclicks pics (i've completely disconnected the CD drive as it's not needed) and made sure the jumper on the converter was set to master.... and nothing, it doesn't show up when the MPC is on. I thought that possibly the converter was faulty so got another one but the same thing happens. no SSD shows up.

I have a caddy for plugging in/testing internal IDE and Sata drives via USB so I tested the SSD via the front USB port on the MPC and it read and loaded fine, I was even able to format it from the MPC.

Any ideas why it's not showing up when it's connected internally, my only thought is maybe the SSD is not getting enough power?

Any help would be appreciated
By mrbrownwst Sun Mar 31, 2019 2:45 pm
Here's the info Horselick posted

Horseclick wrote:just to update while my mpc was open, i installed a StarTech 40 Pin IDE PATA to SATA Adapter

set it on master, then installed a samsung 850 pro

my friend removed my fan and "spliced" the noctua low noise cable and fitted (dead silent ) mpc makes little to 0 noise now.

Noctua NF-A6x25 FLX

having 120gb and having nightmares with aksys, i decided i need to have access to my ssd rather then mounting it internally i wantted to be able to copy paste back stuff up without aksys.

StarTech.com 5.25in Trayless Hot Swap Mobile Rack for 3.5in Hard Drive

took me a while to try adn fit it, one side i use a metal 2.5/3.5 vracket the other side i had to zip tie.

used the same ide/sata connecter

now that was working good,

how to get a 2.5 drive to fit in a 3.5 drive.

used a adapter.

Icybox IB-2535StS

fitted my 850 pro in there

now i can take out my drive and back stuff up to and from the pc.

once again just want to thank frank, in a birght welly lite room the 4ks screen is fully visible and to me it seems sharper.

frank how many kits do have left?

i know this is a limited run so people if you want them get them quick.
[/quote]
By Lampdog Sun Mar 31, 2019 10:23 pm
That’s good that you tried all jumpers.

Some gear works with diff settings even when people have the same shit :lol:

For example, some people have same 2kxl OS and mcd as me and can only read/write to sd cards.
When I first installed mine ai could only use cf’s for years. One day, just one day sd slot
and old Sony mem stick slot was working then no more, lol. I can’t explain it. I wont beat myself up over it tho.

Do you think your ribbon cable might be backwards or is it keyed where being backwards is impossible?

Try a diff ide ribbon cable?
By Horseclick Thu Apr 11, 2019 9:16 pm
yo dude, sorry i aint been around sooner,

have you tried to format the drive in the menu?

also u see my cable, i had the last connector connected to the drive not the middle one.

you need to format the drive before the mpc can see it, so try format the ssd in your computer and then connect to mpc.

if no dice then you need to format in the mpc.....

holla back i ll try to get it going for you
By mrbrownwst Sat Apr 13, 2019 3:40 pm
No worries, thanks for the reply.

I've actually sent the adaptor back now but I can get another if needs be. I had mine connected up exactly like your first picture, with the cd drive removed and the SSD & adaptor connected where the original HD was.

In response to your question regarding formatting the drive, when I first installed the SSD (like above) it didn't show up at all so there was no option to format it in the MPC. I then removed the drive and formatted it on a PC but it still didn't show up when I put it back in the MPC. I tested the SSD in a external caddy and plugged it into the front USB on the MPC and it read it fine, loaded files etc, I could also format the SSD from the MPC that way so I did, but again when I put it back inside the MPC it didn't show up.

Any ideas?
By Horseclick Sun Apr 14, 2019 10:39 am
mrbrownwst wrote:No worries, thanks for the reply.

I've actually sent the adaptor back now but I can get another if needs be. I had mine connected up exactly like your first picture, with the cd drive removed and the SSD & adaptor connected where the original HD was.

In response to your question regarding formatting the drive, when I first installed the SSD (like above) it didn't show up at all so there was no option to format it in the MPC. I then removed the drive and formatted it on a PC but it still didn't show up when I put it back in the MPC. I tested the SSD in a external caddy and plugged it into the front USB on the MPC and it read it fine, loaded files etc, I could also format the SSD from the MPC that way so I did, but again when I put it back inside the MPC it didn't show up.

Any ideas?

could be the adapter was a dud, or it was not recieving power, the jumper that set master, was it in place properly? as if the jumper not connected then it would not see it.

sorry it took so long to reply if you intend on trying again holla back and we can trouble shoot after.

if the adapter was cool, then as you had a cd drive in there before maybe the harddrive on your unit needed to be set as slave or one of the other options on the adapter, check your og harddrives jumpers see what it was set on, as im assuming the motherboard fo your 4k may have been configured differently to accomodate hd and cdrom.
By mrbrownwst Tue Apr 16, 2019 5:06 pm
I tried two adaptors so I doubt they were both faulty, I had the jumper connected properly and tried all the different jumper settings to be sure. I didn't check the original HD jumper setting but as I tried every option on the adaptor that shouldn't make a difference.

I'll order another adaptor and try agian soon, once I do i'll take some pics so you can see how it's set up (if it doesn't work)
By Sense-A Fri May 17, 2019 6:02 pm
I installed a Noctua NF-A6x25 FLX per recommendations from others. It runs so quiet I had to double check to make sure it was actually on! If the OEM fan noise bothers you at all, then I vouch that the Noctua is definitely the way to go!

I ordered the following IDE to SATA adapter. It's somewhere between China and here. I'll report back whether it worked or not when I receive it. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Bidirectional- ... 2172660598

Also, there seems to be some contradicting information/reports as to what the true maximum recognizable hard drive capacity is on an MPC 4000. Can anyone confirm the max amount you've been able to get the MPC 4000 to recognize? Thanks.