MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
By djhighfly Thu May 23, 2019 10:35 am
Hello Friends,

why is it such a big problem to have a back button on the mpc software like this:

Is it so difficult to program something like this?

confused... :(
By soundsafoolmusic Thu May 23, 2019 12:10 pm
I am an ex coder from the 80s and stil code today using very different thought processes but some basic principles are the same.

If you wanted to go back to screens you would need have a stack of pointers to where you have been so you back out though previous screens. After a while this stack (if not backed out) could eat up valuable memory and you suddenly run out of memory (the stack would hold all the places you have been with those settings as they were at that point).

As you go into more screens during a session it pushes more and more to the stack which could fill (same memory as your samples) and it could easily fail and you lose everything! That is not good!

MPC is a very resticted model in terms of memory so you must preserve what you have and not build into the system ways of running out of memory, just being going through screens.

I dont mind pressing menu and the keypad for functions and would welcome that existing process far more than compromissing the machine. MPC is not a top down and back again workflow it is - going through multiple screens and for me going back to a screen is only needed for certain functions that I can live without! I dont want to be running out of mememory as I go into more and more screens during a session.

So no - in my opinion there are very sound reasons for not having this and prefer resilience, but happy to be challenged!
By djhighfly Fri May 24, 2019 11:10 am
Thank you!

Shift + Stop, hardware only? Seems not to work on software without hardware..