MPC Software & MPC Beats Forum: Bug reports, feature suggestions and discussion for the MPC Software and the free 'MPC Beats' application for Mac/PC. If you have hardware-specific questions, please post in the relevant MPC sub-forum.
By apricotandpearjam Sun May 26, 2019 5:21 pm
Hi all.
I’m considering coming back to MPC after a few years and I can see there is one feature which seems to have not changed... auto save.

In logic or Ableton auto save happens as a process in the background and takes into account every single step, in real-time, as opposed to every minute or so.

When the auto save happens it gets in the way... the pads stop working, the samples save again and again, even if they have been saved previously.

I feel disappointed that akai couldn’t find a way to do this without getting in the way of the creative flow.
By Monotremata Mon May 27, 2019 4:41 pm
Sounds like its a good thing I didnt turn this on yet heh. I love the fact the Studio has a Save button on it, its gotten me into the habit of hitting it every 10 minutes or so anyways.
By Monotremata Mon May 27, 2019 8:32 pm
Yeah my main DAW is Logic so Im used to it just happening and not even knowing it heh. I didnt even know there was an autosave option until I saw your thread. Im only about two weeks into the software (and just got my Studio on Friday) so Im still figuring some things out hehe.

Just curious, when yours auto saves is it actually stopping or making the MPC cut out at all?? Ive been working on a track all afternoon so I just turned on auto save for kicks and set it to every 2 minutes. Ive been doing this and that the whole time, playing/editing sequences, etc, and its auto saved a crapload of times already but hasn't stopped anything or gotten in the way.

I see what you're saying about the samples though (thats kind of annoying when you save normally too). When Logic autosaves, it doesn't even flinch. You literally have no clue it even just did it, its entirely in the background and invisible to the user. The MPC pops up that good old 'saving...' progress bar in front of your face every time. But to be fair, it seems to only stay up for a hair of a second even while a sequence is playing. It goes a hell of a lot quicker than it does if your song is stopped and you hit save.
By Monotremata Sun Jun 02, 2019 7:44 pm
Ok had it happen finally, exactly how you described it. While playing back a sequence and messing with the tracks trying to figure out some loops, it saved and the pads cut me off while I was playing a sample.

Its weird, sometimes when it autosaves, it takes a quick second. You barely even notice the window pop up and its done. But then other times, the window pops up and it actually takes a bit while it resaves every single sample in the project. Its almost like half the time it just saves the songfile, the other half, it decides to resave the entire project.

Ive got it crashing on me now when opening songs so Ive got other stuff to go hunt down now heh.
By Monotremata Mon Jun 03, 2019 1:33 am
Cockdiesel wrote:you know you can turn off auto save right or change the intervals?

Thats kind of a given considering its not on by default and you have to turn it on to begin with.. :wink:

And it doesn't solve the problem as it is.
By Cockdiesel Mon Jun 03, 2019 1:47 am
Mine was on when i bought it, first thing I did was turn it off. In over two years with the live, the smallest complaint I can imagine is the auto save function.... Yea it sucks that it takes over for 10-20 sec and can bug out your program, but I can assure you manually saving your project at your own pace really isn't that hard or limiting.
YMMV- I know some cats can't get anything done without the safety net of saving their progress....
By Monotremata Mon Jun 03, 2019 3:43 am
Cockdiesel wrote:Mine was on when i bought it, first thing I did was turn it off. In over two years with the live, the smallest complaint I can imagine is the auto save function.... Yea it sucks that it takes over for 10-20 sec and can bug out your program, but I can assure you manually saving your project at your own pace really isn't that hard or limiting.
YMMV- I know some cats can't get anything done without the safety net of saving their progress....

Yeah I never used it until I saw this thread last week heh. After this weekend, the MPC finally started crashing on me, so now Im kinda glad I have it on. Its been ok so far tonight but the last couple days its been crashing on me when opening projects. Maybe Im leaving it open too long or something and its clogging up RAM who knows.

I still dig the fact the Studio has a Save button on it though. You dont see that at all anymore. All of my synths I have to go dig through a menu to save a patch, this ones right there, even highlighted in red to make it easier to remember to SAVE SAVE SAVE heh.