Akai Force Forum: Everything relating to the Akai Force, the new 64 pad, clip-based standalone sampler/groovebox from Akai. While not an MPC, it shares many similar software features to the MPC X/MPC Live including the same underlying code-base.
By Alesto Sat Apr 27, 2019 11:51 pm
Is Force a viable live looper for audio, like the Boss RC 505 looper? The looper plugin of force seems OK in a studio scenario, but not so useful in a live situation, since I don't like the idea of using buttons on a touch screen.

My question to all Force users:
- Is it possible to record my mic or guitar directly into an audio clip without having to push more than 1-2 buttons. What do I push in order to do it?
- Does clip recording offer overdub mode?
- Can you fix loop length to 2, 4, 8 bars?
- Can you define to start recording with audio threshold?
- Can you define to start recording when clip starts?

I like the idea of having the drums (with a step sequencer), bass synth, guitar and vox all in one box and the possibility of using a matrix to activate clips.

Thank you very much for your help!
By mattpositive Fri May 24, 2019 12:34 pm
Have you had any luck using the AF as a live audio looper? I'm kind of in limbo waiting for the AF integration with Ableton Live so my Force has been on the bench for a bit, but it's about time I re-acquaint myself. I thought I could take it slow and use it as a 'dj component' (temporarily) for live looping and such.
By Mr_You Thu May 30, 2019 4:22 pm
At the very least I hope we could send play/record/dub/stop actions via MIDI foot controller?

I plan on integrating the Force with my Line 6 Helix. It has multiple inputs available, Helix will control some Force functions (looper), Force will send MIDI CCs to Helix during live performance playback.

I'm waiting on song/arrangement mode to make a purchase unless I come across a great deal. But I'm really looking forward to playing it.
By Unreallystic Thu Jun 06, 2019 1:52 pm
OP, yes to everything.

The original name of the Force was the APC Live, so think of it as an APC that doesn't need a computer - its designed for Live Looping, this includes recording audio-clip.

I'm at work so I'm not going to scour the net for a video, but you can watch some of the videos from the launch of the Force to see how the Live Looping function works in practice.
- Unreall
By Expectaz Sat Dec 21, 2019 11:09 pm
Yes! I do it all the time. Create multiple audio tracks, open your mixer. Set monitor to auto and start recording. When you finish the clip it will loop. Then go to the next track
By Wyley Sun Dec 22, 2019 1:48 pm
If I use the force for beatboxing could I do it like on my loop station?

Can I set the bpm on the fly just by making the first loop? Or can I overdub? If my first loop is one bar can the others be recorded at different bar lengths?

Basically I wanna know if I can set up the force so that when I plug my mic in all I have to do is press a button to start recording and do the things I'm doing now.
By Expectaz Sun Dec 22, 2019 5:34 pm
The BPM is not set by recording your first loop. My suggestion is to use the metronome or a dummy clip as your click track to start with. You can record 8 audio tracks after each other. And record to a different scene too.
Bymember04959388 Fri Dec 27, 2019 1:07 pm
Just get a cheap Roland mc101 or more expensive Mc707.
Audio looper tracks.
By limbikfreq Mon Jan 13, 2020 6:20 pm
If it could do overdub recording for audio the way it does for midi, I'd be 100% onboard. But I'm not aware that it can and the solution seems to be a separate looper similar to how Ableton is "solving" that issue but it has a lot to do with why I'm moving away from Ableton.
By Unreallystic Tue Feb 11, 2020 12:16 am
:WTF: AKAI ARE YOU READING THIS AKAI :WTF:
Can the Force Live Loop, yes, but but but but but
it has to be the master clock.

This blows up EVERYTHING for me. Right now I am using my MX-1 as my main hub and clock, and I ahve (2) Forces attached to it, one for vocals and accents, one for instrumentation. I had been using the Force solo and was happy with it, so crazy deal later, I now have (2), so I wanted to practice live looping, and its fine using the MIDI aspect of the Force, but as soon as I tried humming...
*CRASH*...
OK, lets go to the other Force and record audio from the System-8...
*CRASH*...

Started doing digging, because when it comes to operator error, I am a prime candidate, nope, unlock every single one of it's competitors, the Force cannot record audio loops when it isn't the Master, doesn't matter how tight the MIDI Clock timing is. I'm not even sure how to salvage the situation...I doubt this is on Akai's radar...
- Unreall