MPC X, MPC Live, MPC One & MPC Key 61 Forum: Support and discussion for the MPC X, MPC Live, MPC Live II, MPC One & MPC Key 61; Akai's current generation of standalone MPCs.
Bymember04959388 Fri Jun 07, 2019 2:28 pm
I never ever thought about buying X.
Too big, not portable, you pay double price to have the same features as Live.
Mpc Live is very well thought, it stands good on a studio with 6 outputs and 4 midi, you put it in a bag, you carry it with you everywhere.
I wouldn't buy a X even at same price of Live.
Only complain I have is that I would like to write my own titles to qlinks on project mode and oled with a custom title would be dope.
By MPCWeapon1 Fri Jun 07, 2019 6:03 pm
@unryllistic

:lol:

It’s funny you say that. When I first saw the Ren my first thought was that bucket that Homer Simpson built.

I do believe that The Live is optimized for the touch screen work flow.

With The X I find myself rarely using the touch screen. I mostly use the dedicated buttons and Q links.
By dez perado Sat Jun 08, 2019 11:31 pm
i think your just comfortable with the Live.once you get used to extra dedicated buttons on x the work flow is definitely quicker in my opinion and experience coming from same switch up.never had 2500 though but I dig the X as much as I did the 4000 or more.
By Eyalc Sun Jun 09, 2019 2:04 am
I have both. Both are cool for what they do.

If I had to keep just one, I'd keep the Live, because I can do most of the same things only it's portable.

I bought an X because I thought I'd use the CV, and I came from the 2000 and 5000, so also always thought the dedicated buttons would be important for my workflow. But I find myself only using the X when I'm in the studio. And now I realize that even when I'm in the studio, I could still be using the Live and do the same things.

But from a workflow perspective, the dedicated buttons aren't worth owning both IMO. Will probably sell the X sooner than later.
By BeatWilson Tue Jun 11, 2019 3:58 pm
i **** hate touch screens. so yeah the x wins for me and as for portability....
i definitely dont want to look like that douche in the park with a portable mpc.
im not making beats on a bus, on a plane or some bullshit... im in the studio
when im out im usually busy doing other shit because im out and about for a reason.
I was so **** disappointed in the live i couldn't keep it and i got it for free.
if i wanted an ipad i would of bought one. hense the reason i hate and dont use the X/Y effect gimmick.
shits wack asf :Sigh: :lol:
By EnochLight Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:33 am
BeatWilson wrote:i definitely dont want to look like that douche in the park with a portable mpc.
im not making beats on a bus, on a plane or some bullshit... im in the studio
when im out im usually busy doing other shit because im out and about for a reason.

Counterpoint: many don't want to be that douche who thinks being in a studio is the only time they can create. Many get struck with creativity when they are out and about, and the Live provides exactly what is needed in those instances.

Not that I'm saying you're a douche. I mean, no more than I'm a douche for buying the Live over the X, just so I could easily be portable. :nod:
By Unreallystic Wed Jun 12, 2019 1:04 pm
EnochLight wrote:
BeatWilson wrote:i definitely dont want to look like that douche in the park with a portable mpc.
im not making beats on a bus, on a plane or some ****... im in the studio
when im out im usually busy doing other **** because im out and about for a reason.

Counterpoint: many don't want to be that douche who thinks being in a studio is the only time they can create. Many get struck with creativity when they are out and about, and the Live provides exactly what is needed in those instances.

Not that I'm saying you're a douche. I mean, no more than I'm a douche for buying the Live over the X, just so I could easily be portable. :nod:

AND, as the guy who brings gear to his 8-5 everyday to work on music during lunch, or brings the MPC Live to my son's tutoring session to sit in the corner and be productive himself.

Some of us HAVE to. I have a fairly nice studio setup at home, but you know what else is at home? A 4 year old who gets excited whenever I am working in the studio and wants to sing whenever she sees a microphone, and an overzealous 8 year old who sees all the buttons, and honestly has grown up around all my equipment and wants to do what Dad does.

Lunch is my most productive time by a mile, simply because I'm not distracted with stuff at home, and can focus. It isn't about creativity - its about getting it in, when you CAN. That's a huge issue (issue is wrong word, maybe mark?) with the X - its lack of portability puts it square in line with every other device/system at home I already have for beat making.

The MPC X would have to go up against Ableton + Push 2, it would have to go against my Digitakt, it would have to go against FL Studio + Fire, Reason, etc, etc. If the MPC workflow brings out the best in you - great, but from a sheer technical stand-point, the MPC falls flat compared to those (even the Digitakt from a technical stand point, but I prefer the MPC myself to my Digitakt).

That's not to poo-poo the MPC X, but the competition of the MPC X and the Live is different. The MPC X is a hub, I call it a "brain", it stands on its on, and everything else goes through it, so as mentioned it needs to be compared against everything else that falls into that category, and frankly it pretty much loses almost everyone of those battles - minus pure personal preference of the workflow and dynamics. The Live on the other hand does NOT have much competition. There are people who have modified their Digitakts to make them portable, but the only two things that can really mess with the Live away from home is an iPad and a Laptop. The iPad will need a controller for any kind of feel, and *for me* is prone to rampant glitches (noted on the Air2 and the iPad Pro & WAY worse and frequent than what happens on the Live). A Laptop will require a controller, take up more space thanks to said controller, and to match the true "no plug" nature of the Live, there are few controllers that are USB power *let alone up to snuff quality wise*.

And just to kick it a bit, I don't really trust folks, I don't bring many people to the "Bassment", if I am selling production, or working with someone, I go where they are, and the Live lets me do that with ease. When I travel back home (DMV), the Live is light work to bring to work with folks.

The whole narrative of working on music at the park is driven entirely be people saying "they could" and people making Youtube videos. Its frankly insulting to insinuate to think because your gear is stuck in a studio, there is some advantage.
- Unreall
By BeatWilson Wed Jun 12, 2019 4:26 pm
yeah... im painting on the streets on and off everyday.... i dont need to bring expensive gear with me while issues can arise there. some of us have other hobbies than just music hahaha. If i lived in a worry free city or didnt walk ghetto streets where junkies shoot up in there eyes daily than many something portable would be cool for now... that shits a straight target on my back im 100% fine without. i grew up from the graffiti world... i never shed that skin and that will always stay with me.

i personally just dont like the lives layout or using the touch screen is all. also dont have a reason to carry it around since everyone i know that makes music like me otherwise owns a maschine or a mpc so wherever i go i have one of those.... i dont need another..
By EnochLight Wed Jun 12, 2019 7:31 pm
Well, I don't think anyone was arguing for you to pick up a Live. Obviously YMMV as far as it being useful. My comment was more just in defense of those who choose the Live over the X because it's portable.