Forum to discuss all matters relating to the MPC1000 and MPC2500 operating systems created by 'JJ' (all versions).
By disparate Fri Jun 14, 2019 1:46 pm
Hi,

I'm using Ableton Live 9 as MIDI clock master on my Macbook Pro 2015 hooked up to a Focusrite Saffire Pro 40 , and my MPC1000 with JJOS2XL as slave with a MIDI cable from Saffire out to MPC in 1.

When I hit Play on Live the MPC sequencer starts to play simultaneously, no problem. But when when I hit Stop on Live, the MPC stops for a moment but then the sequencer starts to play again, at the tempo it's set to internally. It's fine once I hit stop on the MPC but obviously it's pretty annoying to keep having to manually stop it everytime I hit stop in Live, which in the process of working on a track is pretty often.

Troubleshooting:
- I'm using the latest JJOS2XL but also tried using a couple of other JJOS versions, free 3.16 and OS2. Problem still happens.
- I tried hooking up the MIDI cable from my interface to another bit of gear that has a sequencer, my Elektron Monomachine. Stop/start functions correctly on the Monomachine so it seems to be the MPC that's the issue.

Any ideas? FWIW I only seem to remember this happening since I upgraded to Live 9 and went from PC to Mac, I'm sure I used this type of setup without any issues (apart from usual latency, MIDI timing etc which I can deal with) for a while.
By disparate Tue Sep 03, 2019 8:29 am
Just to follow this up because doesn't everyone hate searching for a problem they're having then just finding an unresolved thread?

Turns out the issue is actually being caused by the presence of "External Instrument" devices on Ableton - something about these being in the project seems to prevent the MIDI 'STOP' message from being sent properly. Must be something to do with the way they route MIDI out the interface but I can't really get my head around it. Once I remove all External Instruments from my project it's all good, hitting Play and Stop on Ableton starts and stops all my hardware's sequencers as expected.

So I guess it's over to Ableton support for me, but just a heads up in case anyone does find this one day!